PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Looking at our 1st round talent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Patriot Guy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Slagathor started the thread with the Borges quote of how BB screwed up taking Richard Seymour in the 1st round back in 2001.

It made me think. BB and Pioli have been lights out awesome with 1st round picks. Now, we can debate forever if another player looks better to us now. Daniel Graham over Ed Reed is a popular one.

But remember, it used to be that we took Graham over Clinton Portis. Two Super Bowl rings later, we have a great group of TEs AND our RB of the future. It's just easy to look at the present state of the team and always see another player out there that would help out.

Overall, we really cannot question how incredible our brain trusts have done in the 1st round. We have 7 1st rounders under BB and every one of them is a key player. (excluding Maroney though he has the look that he'll definately be one soon)

I choose not to look at who we could have had, I look at what the players we take do for us. That's all that really matters. Let's just say that Tomlinson was still available at the #6 spot back in 2001. Looking at it today, is Richard Seymour a bad pick? One can say that Tomlinson is a better player but would anyone be disappointed that we took Seymour?

The best example: Back in 1996 we took Tedi Brushchi in the 3rd round. The pick three spots later: Terrell Owens. There's no debating that Owens has a much better chance of getting in the Hall of Fame and has statistically had a better career. Do any one of you regret having #54 on this team for the past decade?

I just look at our 1st rounders and I see players that are great at what they do. Seymour is arguably the best at his position. Graham is the best blocking TE and has been key in our passing game. Warren is a very good DL that happens to have the best on the other side overshadowing him. Wilfork makes us forget Ted Washington. Watson is a big play waiting to happen. Mankins is a tough, hard-nosed lineman and Maroney looks to be a top-flight NFL RB.

Whoever else we could have taken, I personally don't care.

Crazy Patriot Guy said:
Slagathor started the thread with the Borges quote of how BB screwed up taking Richard Seymour in the 1st round back in 2001.

It made me think. BB and Pioli have been lights out awesome with 1st round picks. Now, we can debate forever if another player looks better to us now. Daniel Graham over Ed Reed is a popular one.

But remember, it used to be that we took Graham over Clinton Portis. Two Super Bowl rings later, we have a great group of TEs AND our RB of the future. It's just easy to look at the present state of the team and always see another player out there that would help out.

Overall, we really cannot question how incredible our brain trusts have done in the 1st round. We have 7 1st rounders under BB and every one of them is a key player. (excluding Maroney though he has the look that he'll definately be one soon)

I choose not to look at who we could have had, I look at what the players we take do for us. That's all that really matters. Let's just say that Tomlinson was still available at the #6 spot back in 2001. Looking at it today, is Richard Seymour a bad pick? One can say that Tomlinson is a better player but would anyone be disappointed that we took Seymour?

The best example: Back in 1996 we took Tedi Brushchi in the 3rd round. The pick three spots later: Terrell Owens. There's no debating that Owens has a much better chance of getting in the Hall of Fame and has statistically had a better career. Do any one of you regret having #54 on this team for the past decade?

I just look at our 1st rounders and I see players that are great at what they do. Seymour is arguably the best at his position. Graham is the best blocking TE and has been key in our passing game. Warren is a very good DL that happens to have the best on the other side overshadowing him. Wilfork makes us forget Ted Washington. Watson is a big play waiting to happen. Mankins is a tough, hard-nosed lineman and Maroney looks to be a top-flight NFL RB.

Our 1st round picks have been great.

Just want to say I love Tomlinson, but there's a hot running back every year, not always a first rounder. With a good line, you can still get the job done.

You simply can't get the combination of size speed smarts etc. Seymour brings to the table. Even by trade, because teams won't let a guy like that go.

We didn't.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Ed Reed is great but we still won two Superbowls with Wilson in there. Wilson was actually pretty good until a not so good year last year. He can turn it around. Graham was a good pick, had a nice year in 2004.

RayClay said:
Our 1st round picks have been great.

Just want to say I love Tomlinson, but there's a hot running back every year, not always a first rounder. With a good line, you can still get the job done.

You simply can't get the combination of size speed smarts etc. Seymour brings to the table. Even by trade, because teams won't let a guy like that go.

We didn't.:D

I don't think Tomlinson is in the class of these "hot running backs every year". He is above and beyond them, for many reasons. Not only is he supremely talented but he played the first 3 years of his career behind a flat out atrocious O-line with a rotten QB and no WRs. Plus he plays hurt, is team-oriented, a great leader and a fantastic human being on and off the field. His career could end tomorrow on a freak knee injury, but of the many players in the NFL I root for who are not on the Pats he is at the top of the list. I do think his skills have become a bit overrated recently, probably due to the fantasy football hype machine. I think LT may be wearing down a bit. I expect more of Turner the Burner this year, another personal favorite.

Last edited:
Hindsight is always great. But what is CRITICALLY important to realize is that Belichick and Pioli make 1st round picks with a high weighting on getting a 'sure thing'. Not wasting a first round pick is the paramount winning formula. Something like 60% of first rounders end up not being top starters. Something like 30% don't even end up sticking in the league. Teams who draft sexy possibilities in the first round or concensus mock draft superstars get bit on a lot of 1st round picks and that brutally hurts the staffing of a starting team not to mention the salary cap drag.

As has been so well pointed out, maybe even with hindsight the Pats did just fine with their pick versus another player who was also available.

And look at all of the disasters that they successfully avoided.

I think we are blessed that they use the formula that they do.

Crazy Patriot Guy said:

Two guys I look at and kinda say man we could've grabbed them are Odell Thurman and Channing Crowder.

In light of the current LB situation I think about them alot.

Granted Thurman has the suspension going now and might be the reason the Pats didn'tr take him, but I thought Crowder would've fit nicely.

There are some reports that Thurman's personal situation is so screwed up he may never play again. Sounds extreme, but the kid is a walking time bomb. Right now we have one of the top young guards in the NFL on Brady's left. I'll take it in spades and be more than happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes