Welcome to PatsFans.com

Looking ahead

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Fogbuster, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Actually, the more I hear about Obama, the more I like him. He's definitely a child of the 60s!

Question #1 is: is he ready,

#2: is the American electorate ready?

#3: am I ready?? On this, I could say I am, provided I know more about him. I can see tremendous strides for America with him as president; also some risks; but hey, that's life!

//
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

I don't see it personally, he seems viable, however really do not know enough about him. He is already being smeared in the press and god only knows what will happen on the campaign trail. If he were a VP under someone who allowed him some reasonable power, he might be a candidate in the future. Go to Worldnet, Rush and NEWSMAX.. he is continually criticized and every day they try to link him to some muslim extreme organization.

As much as I think that a women or minority could & should be prez, it is a pretty idealized vision and something that this country could not handle right now.. the power base is white haired, white man and they could not allow this to happen.
  3. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

There's a lot of evidence on the side of your argument. Yes, I know that there are those who are deathly afraid of his candidacy but that fear needs to be overcome.

Maybe all the negative energy will burn itself out -- it always does, eventually.

Anyway, I'm glad a guy like him is out there. He's so much more of an upbeat person. I actually like him! :eek:
  4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I like him, too. He's too green to take this election on, though. I'm sure he could be an excellent President - hell, I could be with all that vacation time. His religion is his problem, not mine. I need to see much more from him, but I won't if he's actually running for president. We'll just see the "safe" speeches, but if he decides to take chances and go outside of the formula, I'd consider him.
  5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

One thing's for sure, Obama would be a true outsider candidate, but so was Clinton, and he had a lot of trouble working with the Democratic Congress. The other thing about Obama, as a state Senator (Assemblyperson?) in Illinois he was quite liberal, so that might be a problem for him. On the other hand, he's extremely well spoken, seems to be very principle and values oriented, has credentials (a Muslim father, though he only knew that father as a little boy) that would probably give him some advantages in tackling Middle East issues, his mother's from Kansas, and he doesn't have enough of a record as U.S. Senator to easily attack. I don't think it matters that he's green, but it's important that unlike Clinton, if he got elected he would need to bring in more inside the beltway advisers who knew how Congress played ball. Clinton's big mistake was he tried to govern as an outsider, and as much as the American people want that, the insider's certainly don't.
  6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Interesting angle. Nothing would be more interesting as an American president with a Muslim background. I'd love to see the Mohammed freaks (not the average joe Muslim, but the fanatics) over there deal with that one!
  7. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -1

I couldn't disagree more. To say that a female, or colored candidate, couldn't win because of racism is flat wrong. A candidate will win if they are a good enough candidate.
  8. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -1

I know so little about Obama, but I am intrigued. I can say this much, he certainly seems like a trustworthy guy. Maybe because I know so little about him, who knows, but he does seem honest. One issue is he's real green. Another is that I have ZERO clue of where he stands on issues. I know he voted against the war and wants withdrawl. That much I know. I commend him for voting no to the war originally. It hints that he has principles.
  9. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

I don't think a black can win. Their own race already votes almost unanimously for (D). A few more would vote but a much larger percentage of whites who usually vote (D) wouldn't. IMO. Presidential elections are so close that a small swing of racism would end it. You don't need a lot, just a little.

Now, a black (R), that's a little different because you might move a decent percentage of the black vote from (D) to (R).
  10. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -1

They bomb, mutilate, and slaughter each other every day. Why would they care that Obama's dad, a person that he didn't really have a relationship with (am I wrong there?), was a muslim? The fanatics are savage primitives. Nothing but Allah Akbar means anything to them.
  11. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -1

My position is someone won't loose because of race or gender alone. Could it mean points in either direction? Absolutely, but it wouldn't be the determining factor. Maybe I think more highly of our society than most of you do, but that's my feeling. I'd vote for a anyone I thought was the best person for the job.
  12. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

I don't think there a high percentage of people who would vote against him for that reason but even a few percent makes the difference these days.
  13. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Yeah, ...you're probably right.
    Just hoping for something to come along to get this boil off our arse. It's either that or controlled fusion power, I guess. :(