PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

looking ahead to 2011 draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jones hasn't lived up to the hype for sure. But, you can't say he's playing against mediocre cornerbacks in the SEC. If that's so, then Baldwin is playing high school cb's
in the Big East. Alabama doesn't have a sophisticated passing attack either. You can crown Baldwin the 2nd coming, but I'll reserve judgement for another year.

Of course the SEC contains better CB's overall that's not a question, but how do you explain the following performances:

FIU - 1 reception, 9 yards.
@ Kentucky - 2 receptions 13 yards
@ Mississippi - 4 recetions 42 yards
South Carolina - 0 receptions

Those are awful stats against teams with awful corners. I can forgive him against Virginia Tech, Florida etc, but not those. The passing attack has little to do with it, Pitts offense is hardly tremendously receiver friendly, and they let Dion Lewis pound away in the same vain 'Bama does with Ingram.

Anyway, it seems a bit anal really considering I think all 4 are top 10 picks, even with any deficiencies.

By the way, the OT class will be stacked. Better than this year's.

Carimi, Reynolds, Barksdale, Bolling, Solder, DeChristopher, Pinkston, Costanzo.

Imagine plugging Solder in opposite Vollmer :eek:

Of course the SEC contains better CB's overall that's not a question, but how do you explain the following performances:

Those are awful stats against teams with awful corners. I can forgive him against Virginia Tech, Florida etc, but not those. The passing attack has little to do with it, Pitts offense is hardly tremendously receiver friendly, and they let Dion Lewis pound away in the same vain 'Bama does with Ingram.

Anyway, it seems a bit anal really considering I think all 4 are top 10 picks, even with any deficiencies.

simple, 22, 28, 24. Those were the attempts that Mark Ingram had in those games. Mcelroy only had 15 attemps @ KU and MU and only 10 against SC. FIU game is unexplainable haha

I like AJ Green better than Baldwin or Jones. If Bama, can run. They don't look to throw. Don't have their running stats from some of those games. But, that factors into it too.
Baldwin could turn out better. I just want to wait and see.

Jones hasn't lived up to the hype for sure. But, you can't say he's playing against mediocre cornerbacks in the SEC. If that's so, then Baldwin is playing high school cb's
in the Big East. Alabama doesn't have a sophisticated passing attack either. You can crown Baldwin the 2nd coming, but I'll reserve judgement for another year.

I think he wrote that Jones gets shut down by mediocre cornerbacks, not that he plays against mediocre cornerbacks. Everyone plays against mediocre conrerbacks, but some get shut down.

The BE, by the way, does well at the skill positions. It's the big bodies on D where the SEC dominates. OL is another story because OLs seem to be made and not born. The DLs and fast OLBs on the other hand are rare, and they come out of the best schools. But if you look at all the CBs coming out of BE schools the last few years, Revis, Butler, Mccourty, the 2 kids from Cincy, the USF kid starting for Dallas, etc., it has a lot of talent at the skill positions.

This has always been why schools without a great tradition end up sending good skill players to the NFL, but the big bodies on D are rare. For college coaches, no recruits have more bust potential though than offensive lineman.

By the way, the OT class will be stacked. Better than this year's.

Carimi, Reynolds, Barksdale, Bolling, Solder, DeChristopher, Pinkston, Costanzo.

Imagine plugging Solder in opposite Vollmer :eek:

Watch for Zach Hurd out of UConn as well. He's going in the first two rounds, guaranteed.

I'm glad we didn't waste a pick this year on marginal 3-4 DE prospect when next year is stacked with 3-4 DE's.

Cameron Heyward, Ohio State
Adrian Clayborn, Iowa
Marvin Austin, North Carolina
Allen Bailey, Miami

WR & RB are also going to be stacked with blue chippers.

The depth of the 2011 class matches up perfectly with our remaining needs, hmmm coincidence?

The funny thing is this list will be so different by April 2011. If we looked at the Looking ahead to the 2010 draft thread from last year it would have said something like, "I'm glad we didn't snag any of the USC linebackers (or trade up for whoever your binky was) because next year's draft is loaded and we are in great position to trade up for Selvie, Hardy, or Dunlap!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes