PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Looking ahead: Tebowmania - how the hell do we beat it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
when did Arian Foster play against the Pats??

Probably due to injury, but McCoy's numbers this year are world's better than Foster's.

The Tebow offense seems to be a fairly simple thing to defend. The issue is coaching it up enough, and having the player discipline to execute it. The other issue is getting guys who haven't defended the option in a decade to remember their option responsibilities. They also have to coach up new option concepts that many veterans haven't played against such as zone read and midline option concepts.

Before we get into the Tebow offense, let's first explain what it is not; the Wildcat. The Wildcat at it's core is a numbers game. What they seek to do is form an even personnel matchup with the defense by removing the quarterback. Then what they do is attack through either spacing or alignment certain areas of the defense where they will effectively create a man advantage. Visualize it as the inverse of the Rex Ryan type overload blitz. This is generally accomplished through the speed option that has a single EMOS read and a designated pitch man. Think of it as an aggressive sweep with a pitch man. This accentuates the man advantage concept by negating pursuit with a fast developing play. So if you're in an even man situation on defense with a 7 man front against the speed option, you need to crash the playside safety to present a pitch man defender and force a decision by the "quarterback". The defense will pursue heavily towards the flow of the play and the playside safety will crash. This opens up a lot of things. Should they elect to play the run, the logical choice is for the playside slot to execute that jet sweep which takes advantage of the pursuit. You can build plays off of that like the fake f jet sweep speed option, or a wildcat derivation of the counter where the pursuit functions as the jabstep in the traditional counter and your playside of the line can fold on the pursuit while the backside pulls into an open field executing fundamentally like a well timed screen would. Should they chose passing, it's a very simple fake downblock by the tight end to a seam route. He should pass the crashing safety quite easily and if the ball carrier is able to execute it is a good play. The issue with the wildcat is that it is extremely limited and there's only about 15 plays total which is defended by a single personnel group. So what we saw from Miami in their deployment of it was very Steve Jobs. They already had the technology, they just deployed it incrementally to retain the element of surprise. They really milked out everything that single wing speed option had to offer.

Tebowmania is a fascinating thing. Essentially, the Tebow offense is every option concept known to man with spread option passing concepts mixed into professional sets. They're using options to set up options. For example they will run the zone read which is an outside zone play with the QB reading the backside end. Should the backside end crash, as he should as the backside end in a zone play, the QB keeps and sprints past his angle of pursuit. They are mixing in the midline read off of this which negates the defense of the zone read which is a T/E stunt that baits the wrong call from the QB. They're running veer concepts utilizing O'Brien TE motion offense concepts. They're making reads simple in the passing game through things like stacked slants and in n up route combinations. It's very much so a limited offense that plays between the hashes because the QB can't make a play outside of it. They will occasionally try to gash a team to the outside with something like hitch screens but that is only if they overcommit. It's a limited offense so there are some fixes.

The first thing I would do is play a 44 defense. Tebow is incapable of executing a pass that will hurt your lack of an extra deep safety. So you play 8 in the box and force a pitch early by simply crashing the read man to force an early pitch. Simple, basic option defense. By forcing an early decision by the ball carrier you take away the power of the option. You play more zone than man because the majority of the offense is based upon man reads. The zone D also keeps your players turned towards the QB, taking away his scramble instinct. I know most people will say "but hey, Jay, zone isn't a great run defense" but NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND! Against the threat of the option, zone is a great defense. It retains gap integrity and in a 8 man front effectively floods both passing and running lanes.

I'm looking forward to seeing what BB does against this offense because in the NFL, there is no reason for giving up more than 10 points against it.

The only reason that new fangled ideas like the Single Wing or the Option works in the NFL is unfamiliarity.

Ifyou recall, Miami first sprung the Wildcat, ie Single Wing on the Pats and humiliated us, once. In the second game with a bit of tape analysis and coaching, it started to lose its luster.

Tebow's use of the option has worked ,but its time is running out. One of the reasons it won't last is that it uses up the QB. Career expectancy of a NFL QB is much longer than a RB who gets beat up too much. One injury to Tebow and its done. OTOH, there are lots of tripple threat tailbacks who can play the Single Wing.

Tebow and his Coaches must hope that Tebow learns to throw enough to get by. It's not impossible.

Look at the careers of Joe Kapp and George Allen's favorite QB on the Redskins, who could never pass anything like his competitor. His name escapes me. But his wounded ducks, were completed often enough to consume time and allow the George Allen Over-the-Hill Defense to prevail.

Our own Steve Grogan was a running QB, until he learned to be more accurate as a passer, even if he looked a lot better as a passer initially, than Tebow does today.

Last edited:
The Patriots just shutdown the best running game in the NFL. Forgive me for having faith that they can do it to Denver.

Probably due to injury, but McCoy's numbers this year are world's better than Foster's.

I don't think we can really say that the Pats shutdown the best running game as the Eagles decided to pass pass pass on our 32nd ranked D. The few times they did decide to run (10 plays I think), they broke a run for 20+ yards and scored a TD.

Just because their coach was too dumb to use his "NFL leading rusher" doesn't really equate to the Pats "shutting down the best running game".

I don't think we can really say that the Pats shutdown the best running game as the Eagles decided to pass pass pass on our 32nd ranked D. The few times they did decide to run (10 plays I think), they broke a run for 20+ yards and scored a TD.

Just because their coach was too dumb to use his "NFL leading rusher" doesn't really equate to the Pats "shutting down the best running game".

He rushed 10 times for 31 yards. That means outside of the 22 yard break, he was averaging ONE yard per carry. It's hard to keep pounding the rock when 90% of the time you're getting less than 2 yards, especially against a team that quickly gets a two score lead on you (and doesn't look like it can be stopped any time soon). You're not giving the run D enough credit for Sunday's effort.

I am surprised on how many people ...are so into Tebow. Just like the previous posters have mentioned...its going to be fad and go away. So those with a "Tebowner" ....will also do the same and shrivel up and go away :)

He rushed 10 times for 31 yards. That means outside of the 22 yard break, he was averaging ONE yard per carry. It's hard to keep pounding the rock when 90% of the time you're getting less than 2 yards, especially against a team that quickly gets a two score lead on you (and doesn't look like it can be stopped any time soon). You're not giving the run D enough credit for Sunday's effort.

spot on analysis.

I only just picked up on your response and it was met with the same response I would have given you.

The real answer? You don't. Tebowmania is the strongest force in the universe

Magic number is 21.. If you can score this on them, they are toast.. If the pats score less than that, the 4th quarter will again be Tebow time.

I don't see them coming back from a 2 TD lead in the 4th quarter... Tebow may get 1 TD and we just hold the ball and run the clock out with the law firm and Woodhead

if anything, make tebow think he can throw the ball against this defense.....make him beat you with his arm.....

This is interesting...Miller OUT today, hoepfully he has the same sort of long term thumb injury that is plaging Fletcher.

Von Miller inactive against Vikings | ProFootballTalk

Look, Tebowmania is more about Denver's defense and the crappy offensive teams they have been playing. That being said, the Pats still need to get up early on them, and don't give the kid a chance to be a hero.

Last edited:
Rumour has it Tim Tebow starred in Star Wars.

He was the Force.

Well he gets another win in the last two min.

How do we control Tebowmania and that defense!!

There's no stopping the so-called Tebowmania.

Brady and the offense will be shockingly held down to 24 points

Tim Tebow will go in after doing nothing all game and score a TD

Then Brady will surpisingly(now he hasn't thrown an INT all game) throw an INT and give Tebow some good field position.

Tebow will throw a bomb on whoever reciever McCourty will be covering and then put himself in FG position.

Now depending on how dramatic the NFL wants this to be, either it's the game winning FG or it's an OT FG.

IF OT:

The Pats will win the toss.

Brady goes out on the field, cuttin' up and killing the Broncos until he gets into FG range. Stupidly, his OC will call ******ed plays... 3 straight rushing calls and the law firm gets shut out for 4th and 1. (As a Pats fan, I will be complaining about how dumb the coach is, but whatever)

Gostkowski comes out and prepares for the kick... he kicks---

WHAT? He missed an easy FG for the 100th time this season.

Tebow and company goes out on the field.

Tebow throws about 4 bombs in McCourty's direction and gets his team into FG range.

His kicker will make the FG and Denver wins.

And if you think Tebowmania is in full effect now, you wait until after they have beaten the Pats by 3 points. I won't be able to breath without hearing Tebow's name and then I will stop watching TV and listening to radio altogether.

Any patriots fan that thinks tebow can't throw for 300+ yards against this pats defense is naive.

The broncos may beat the pats 17-13. So don't be surprised when tebow is leading his team down the field down 13-10 with 2:50 to play.

The broncos will help get rid of a lot of the pats competition in the postseason before losing in the rematch in new england.

The Tebow dream season ends when he plays the Patriots and BB shows the world how to beat him.

Their defense is playing incredibly well and keep it close. Tebow is a WINNER and has that amazing ability to get it DONE LATE. These are all things that don't bode well for the Pats. Tebow is not going to ever be Tom Brady, or Peyton Manning....or Bart Starr in regards to throwing the ball like a legend, or reading a defense before the team lines up....but he is an incredible competitor and he (and the entire team) finds a way to get it done. I can't fathom how he does it week after week....but he is getting it done. You can't question him and the broncs anymore.....We are in for a tough one in Denver.

You want to know how to beat Tebowmania? Simple. SACK HIM EARLY! SACK HIM OFTEN! LETS GO PATS!

When we beat Denver and Tebow, I predict that Jets fans will cite this as proof positive that BB is the Anti-Christ.

Tebow - still zero turnovers - he doesnt turn the ball over....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back