PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Looking ahead: Tebowmania - how the hell do we beat it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Build up an early lead. Force Tebow to pass. Watch out for QB draws on 3rd and 11.

Does anyone have any insight into how Tebowmania is different from the Wildcat? It seems like the NFL will just adapt to his style of play and he'll just fall off into oblivion like the wildcat did.

Wildcat = College plays

Tebowmania = HS plays

But yeah, I would have thought Tebowmania would have been solved by now.

He's making me consider changing my name to Patjesus.

Tebow sucks, his defense has won him these games. We're going to smash that egotistic douche bag.

The egotistic douche bag is NEXT WEEK
Colts-Polian.jpg

How to beat Tebowmania: wait 2 weeks and see if it dies down.

Next week is Indie (Paintermania!) and then Washington. We'll get to Denver.

I'm happy to see Denver winning games with a starting Tim Tebow. Vindicates Josh McDaniels a bit. Just can't see them win against New England.

The Tebow offense seems to be a fairly simple thing to defend. The issue is coaching it up enough, and having the player discipline to execute it. The other issue is getting guys who haven't defended the option in a decade to remember their option responsibilities. They also have to coach up new option concepts that many veterans haven't played against such as zone read and midline option concepts.

Before we get into the Tebow offense, let's first explain what it is not; the Wildcat. The Wildcat at it's core is a numbers game. What they seek to do is form an even personnel matchup with the defense by removing the quarterback. Then what they do is attack through either spacing or alignment certain areas of the defense where they will effectively create a man advantage. Visualize it as the inverse of the Rex Ryan type overload blitz. This is generally accomplished through the speed option that has a single EMOS read and a designated pitch man. Think of it as an aggressive sweep with a pitch man. This accentuates the man advantage concept by negating pursuit with a fast developing play. So if you're in an even man situation on defense with a 7 man front against the speed option, you need to crash the playside safety to present a pitch man defender and force a decision by the "quarterback". The defense will pursue heavily towards the flow of the play and the playside safety will crash. This opens up a lot of things. Should they elect to play the run, the logical choice is for the playside slot to execute that jet sweep which takes advantage of the pursuit. You can build plays off of that like the fake f jet sweep speed option, or a wildcat derivation of the counter where the pursuit functions as the jabstep in the traditional counter and your playside of the line can fold on the pursuit while the backside pulls into an open field executing fundamentally like a well timed screen would. Should they chose passing, it's a very simple fake downblock by the tight end to a seam route. He should pass the crashing safety quite easily and if the ball carrier is able to execute it is a good play. The issue with the wildcat is that it is extremely limited and there's only about 15 plays total which is defended by a single personnel group. So what we saw from Miami in their deployment of it was very Steve Jobs. They already had the technology, they just deployed it incrementally to retain the element of surprise. They really milked out everything that single wing speed option had to offer.

Tebowmania is a fascinating thing. Essentially, the Tebow offense is every option concept known to man with spread option passing concepts mixed into professional sets. They're using options to set up options. For example they will run the zone read which is an outside zone play with the QB reading the backside end. Should the backside end crash, as he should as the backside end in a zone play, the QB keeps and sprints past his angle of pursuit. They are mixing in the midline read off of this which negates the defense of the zone read which is a T/E stunt that baits the wrong call from the QB. They're running veer concepts utilizing O'Brien TE motion offense concepts. They're making reads simple in the passing game through things like stacked slants and in n up route combinations. It's very much so a limited offense that plays between the hashes because the QB can't make a play outside of it. They will occasionally try to gash a team to the outside with something like hitch screens but that is only if they overcommit. It's a limited offense so there are some fixes.

The first thing I would do is play a 44 defense. Tebow is incapable of executing a pass that will hurt your lack of an extra deep safety. So you play 8 in the box and force a pitch early by simply crashing the read man to force an early pitch. Simple, basic option defense. By forcing an early decision by the ball carrier you take away the power of the option. You play more zone than man because the majority of the offense is based upon man reads. The zone D also keeps your players turned towards the QB, taking away his scramble instinct. I know most people will say "but hey, Jay, zone isn't a great run defense" but NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND! Against the threat of the option, zone is a great defense. It retains gap integrity and in a 8 man front effectively floods both passing and running lanes.

I'm looking forward to seeing what BB does against this offense because in the NFL, there is no reason for giving up more than 10 points against it.

We beat Tebow Mania with Dr. Brady :) If he is his surgical self no way Denver beats us.

The real answer? You don't. Tebowmania is the strongest force in the universe

No, Tedy Bruschi remains the strongest force in the universe. Chuck Norris says so. Tebowmania is a mirage.

The Tebow offense seems to be a fairly simple thing to defend. The issue is coaching it up enough, and having the player discipline to execute it. The other issue is getting guys who haven't defended the option in a decade to remember their option responsibilities. They also have to coach up new option concepts that many veterans haven't played against such as zone read and midline option concepts.

Before we get into the Tebow offense, let's first explain what it is not; the Wildcat. The Wildcat at it's core is a numbers game. What they seek to do is form an even personnel matchup with the defense by removing the quarterback. Then what they do is attack through either spacing or alignment certain areas of the defense where they will effectively create a man advantage. Visualize it as the inverse of the Rex Ryan type overload blitz. This is generally accomplished through the speed option that has a single EMOS read and a designated pitch man. Think of it as an aggressive sweep with a pitch man. This accentuates the man advantage concept by negating pursuit with a fast developing play. So if you're in an even man situation on defense with a 7 man front against the speed option, you need to crash the playside safety to present a pitch man defender and force a decision by the "quarterback". The defense will pursue heavily towards the flow of the play and the playside safety will crash. This opens up a lot of things. Should they elect to play the run, the logical choice is for the playside slot to execute that jet sweep which takes advantage of the pursuit. You can build plays off of that like the fake f jet sweep speed option, or a wildcat derivation of the counter where the pursuit functions as the jabstep in the traditional counter and your playside of the line can fold on the pursuit while the backside pulls into an open field executing fundamentally like a well timed screen would. Should they chose passing, it's a very simple fake downblock by the tight end to a seam route. He should pass the crashing safety quite easily and if the ball carrier is able to execute it is a good play. The issue with the wildcat is that it is extremely limited and there's only about 15 plays total which is defended by a single personnel group. So what we saw from Miami in their deployment of it was very Steve Jobs. They already had the technology, they just deployed it incrementally to retain the element of surprise. They really milked out everything that single wing speed option had to offer.

Tebowmania is a fascinating thing. Essentially, the Tebow offense is every option concept known to man with spread option passing concepts mixed into professional sets. They're using options to set up options. For example they will run the zone read which is an outside zone play with the QB reading the backside end. Should the backside end crash, as he should as the backside end in a zone play, the QB keeps and sprints past his angle of pursuit. They are mixing in the midline read off of this which negates the defense of the zone read which is a T/E stunt that baits the wrong call from the QB. They're running veer concepts utilizing O'Brien TE motion offense concepts. They're making reads simple in the passing game through things like stacked slants and in n up route combinations. It's very much so a limited offense that plays between the hashes because the QB can't make a play outside of it. They will occasionally try to gash a team to the outside with something like hitch screens but that is only if they overcommit. It's a limited offense so there are some fixes.

The first thing I would do is play a 44 defense. Tebow is incapable of executing a pass that will hurt your lack of an extra deep safety. So you play 8 in the box and force a pitch early by simply crashing the read man to force an early pitch. Simple, basic option defense. By forcing an early decision by the ball carrier you take away the power of the option. You play more zone than man because the majority of the offense is based upon man reads. The zone D also keeps your players turned towards the QB, taking away his scramble instinct. I know most people will say "but hey, Jay, zone isn't a great run defense" but NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND! Against the threat of the option, zone is a great defense. It retains gap integrity and in a 8 man front effectively floods both passing and running lanes.

I'm looking forward to seeing what BB does against this offense because in the NFL, there is no reason for giving up more than 10 points against it.

Where can we find the Cliff Notes version of this post?

Last edited:
We watch Brady march up and down the field throwing darts while Tebow plods along with in the now famous no-pass offense. He'll be lucky to best his average output of about 10 points. Good luck Tim, BB might plan on making you actually throw some difficult downfield passes. :rolleyes:

As awful as Tebow is, he has inspired something in Denver and completely changed the culture of that team. It will be a tough match up in their stadium, but the Pats will expose him for what he is--a tough, competitive football player masquerading as an NFL QB. By the end of the year the Broncos will regret trading Orton--their QB situation still a complete disaster.

All he seems to do is win, and I can't really understand how. I'll admit I haven't really seen much of his game aside from when he played the Jets and won at the last minute. Maybe its his D keeping him in the game? Till he can get a lucky strike?

Doubt we'll be meeting him in the playoffs. He's good but it's way too soon for him to go the distance. Von Miller is a beast though. Definitely a great pick for the Broncos.

Thanks for the breakdown. I think the simplest way to beat Tebow is to put up 30+ points like we put up on the Eagles. Denver's offense is quite inefficient compared to the Pats potent attack. Tebow offense is built to win close games and exploit mismatches and create confusion with the option. It does not however appear consistent enough to match Brady and the Pats in a shootout.

Last edited:
his defense is really amazing, at least their pass rush is

Denver's schedule the rest of the way is interesting:

Vikings
Bears (w/o Cutler)
Patriots
Bills
Chiefs

There's no reason the Broncos wouldn't have a chance in at least 4 of those 5.

jays52 nailed it but he just forgot to mention BB's secret anti-Tebow weapon

EDELPERSON!!!!

He's making me consider changing my name to Patjesus.

Just don't do "The Tebow" while davoning in temple. God does not look too kindly on that. Gets him confused.

Score early and often.

Having a healthy Spikes back would be a big help. Gary Guyton trying to tackle Tebow has embarrassment written all over it.

You beat Tebowmania by getting a big lead. The only reason Tebow has been winning these games is because the Broncos defense are keeping opposing teams from scoring more than 20 points in a game (mostly under 17 points in the last month or so). The Lions showed, you get up to a big enough lead and Tebow cannot do much.

The Broncos have been lucky to face a lot of struggling offenses recently. The Chargers' offense is a shell of itself. The Jets' offense sucks. Matt Cassel went down in KC and their offense wasn't great with him in it. Matt Moore was still in suck mode when they played them.

I think the Broncos' defense will have a tough time stopping Brady and the Pats' offense which will neutralize Tebow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots