PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Looking ahead: Patrick Chung and the Patriots Safeties

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheeseMonkeys

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Next season when Patrick Chung's contract is up, do you think NE should offer him an extension before he hits the open market or should the Patriots try to acquire a proven leader at the position. Or both? Obviously we're looking thin at S and weak at CB but potentially how much can we improve by next year? I believe that with an elite safety the Patriots are a 6-0 team this season at this point.

We've actually been discussing this for awhile now, but I think it all depends on a few variables:

1. How the rest of the season plays out for Chung

2. If the Patriots want him back on some level (obviously)

3. If Chung wants to stay badly enough to accept a pact that someone else would likely overpay with

I still somehow think that they do have some potential interest in keeping him, but they will not come close to overpaying either.

There are also many assumptions such as : "Someone will overpay for him." As of now, I don't see a ton of teams beating down the door, but there is always some other team who overpays a bit.

He's good in run support, and brings physicality up the middle. He's also familiar with the system etc. Obviously his major drawback is his ineffectiveness to cover anyone, at any point in any game.

That all said, there aren't too many options behind him at the moment, and coverage safeties don't fall off of trees, so in my opinion as bad as he sometimes seems, they will offer him something...

Chung has been directly involved in two plays that have negatively impacted the Patriots post-season success.

1. The questionable punt/run call against the Jets (which swung the momentum).
2. Being late (again) on the Manningham catch in the Superbowl.

The reality is, he's just not that good and never has been. He's still here because we basically have nobody else. At the bare minimum, Meriweather could hit receivers with a thump. Chung doesn't even do that.

If Chung remains, it should be on a tight contract. What I'd throw at Dashon Goldson to make sure he's a Patriots player next year would be criminal.

Alternatively, would the Patriots part with a high pick for Eric Weddle? The Chargers are going to need to rebuild that team.

Last edited:
If he keeps this up, he'll only be worth $3m/year at most on the open market and the Pats will hopefully steer clear unless he accepts backup money.

Of course, this is assuming that they have a plan for getting a real safety to play next to Wilson (Gregory is not a long-term answer, and possibly not even a short-term answer). Otherwise they might have no choice but to keep Chung despite the fact that he's been the second-worst player on the defense next to Arrington.

If Chung remains, it should be on a tight contract. What I'd throw at Dashon Goldson to make sure he's a Patriots player next year would be criminal.

Double standard much? Goldson cost the 49ers the win in last year's NFC championship TWICE by running into his own cornerback who would have had the interception.

I just think we lack a leader in the secondary. Any veteran who's on par with the production of chung but is more of a vocal guy, I'll take him. Even if we can get a guy for cheap (leader) who's nearing the end of his career to throw back there on certain packages. Too many young players coming here to play in the secondary and no mentors. Although there are coaches, I think player mentors can be very important. I'm sure some of the Gronknandez progression was due to Crumpler being a mentor.

Double standard much? Goldson cost the 49ers the win in last year's NFC championship TWICE by running into his own cornerback who would have had the interception.
If you think Goldson and Chung are comparative talents then you're welcome to that opinion. Goldson may have affected the outcome of one post-season match, not two.

Minimum salary with a chance to earn a spot is the best I'd offer him. That's assuming he doesn't get injured while signing the contract.

If you think Goldson and Chung are comparative talents then you're welcome to that opinion. Goldson may have affected the outcome of one post-season match, not two.
It's hard for Goldson to be a part in two post-season losses when he only has one post-season loss.

You're welcome to believe that Goldson is better than Chung, but it's not because of those plays by Chung that you pointed out.

It's hard for Goldson to be a part in two post-season losses when he only has one post-season loss.

You're welcome to believe that Goldson is better than Chung, but it's not because of those plays by Chung that you pointed out.
You're right as that would mean Chung was near the ball to make a stuff up. ;)

Next season when Patrick Chung's contract is up, do you think NE should offer him an extension before he hits the open market or should the Patriots try to acquire a proven leader at the position. Or both? Obviously we're looking thin at S and weak at CB but potentially how much can we improve by next year? I believe that with an elite safety the Patriots are a 6-0 team this season at this point.

I don't think the Pats should be in any hurry to lock up Chung, if that's what you're asking. I think they should play out the season with him, and make him an offer when he hits FA. He's good enough within the limited range of what he can do that he's worth that. In the event that some other team is willing to pay him starter money, though... I'd say go ahead and let them. By this time next year, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Ebner is capable of doing everything that Chung can do right now, and possible more.

Chung has been directly involved in two plays that have negatively impacted the Patriots post-season success.

1. The questionable punt/run call against the Jets (which swung the momentum).
2. Being late (again) on the Manningham catch in the Superbowl.

The reality is, he's just not that good and never has been. He's still here because we basically have nobody else. At the bare minimum, Meriweather could hit receivers with a thump. Chung doesn't even do that.

Alternatively, would the Patriots part with a high pick for Eric Weddle? The Chargers are going to need to rebuild that team.

When the Pats made the RFA offer to Goldson a couple years back, I could hardly contain my excitement. He's exactly the kind of player that this secondary needs.

I'd say that it's way too early to answer the O.P.'s question with any degree of certainty. The development, or lack thereof, of Wilson and Ebner, and the level of play of Gregory will have an impact on the need level.

Having Landry would have been nice, though. He's Chung, upgraded.

I think we need to draft two safeties next year.

The guy is a liability.We should be looking to replace him THIS year, not next year. Our secondary is going to cost us this season in a year where everything else looks either excellent or adequate for a Superbowl run. How in the hell can you have this be such a TEAM KILLING weakness year after year after year when we understand it's a passing league?

If we make it through the AFC post season bracket and Eli Manning is waiting for us in the Superbowl again with this secondary which MAY AS WELL NOT EVEN BE ON THE FIELD then I won't watch the game without a giant bottle of whiskey, and I don't even hardly drink.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH already with what looks like COMPLETE INCOMPETENCE at corner and safety. I have just HAD it with this.

The back 7 features an overkill of players whose forte is run stopping.....Spikes, Mayo, Hightower, Chung.. Why is it a surprise that Os succeed through the air. Chung is an "in the box" player only but BB has him playing to his weakness. Without a strong pass rush and Safeties without coverage skills, the Pats DBs are on an island alone. Add in Wilson and his athleticism....this is a nightmare for our secondary. His ability to extend the play by scrambling/rolling to his right was the key to the secondary collapse.....too much time....especially against athletic WRs.

Chung should be allowed to walk and walk quickly if Ed Reed hits the free agent market next season.

What team in their right mind would pick dropoff off the Pats secondary? I mean, you’d have to be out of your mind. If the Pats don’t extend his contract (and I personally don’t think they should), I can totally see him hit the FA market as no one else would be interested in Pats secondary ham and egg.

What team in their right mind would pick dropoff off the Pats secondary? I mean, you’d have to be out of your mind. If the Pats don’t extend his contract (and I personally don’t think they should), I can totally see him hit the FA market as no one else would be interested in Pats secondary ham and egg.

He'd be picked up by another team for depth purposes. Maybe some desperate team would let him start.

At this point, I'd be happier converting Chung to linebacker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back