PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Looking ahead-4/5 wr

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Will the Pats employ the same strategy on the Bears that they did with Minnie..that is go with 4 and 5 wide.
I think this could work well for them but still, that Bear D is scary.
I know Pats will be running against the Colts.
Any thoughts.

363839 said:
Will the Pats employ the same strategy on the Bears that they did with Minnie..that is go with 4 and 5 wide.
I think this could work well for them but still, that Bear D is scary.
I know Pats will be running against the Colts.
Any thoughts.
Keep in mind that the central principle of a cover 2 scheme like the Bears (and Vikes and Colts) employ is to generate a pass rush from just the front 4. When working properly a true cover 2 defense does not need to blitz in order to generate QB pressure. If a true cover 2 defense is blitzing it's not working properly

As such the key to beating a cover 2 is to negate the pass rush from the front 4 such that they have to blitz a 5th player in order to rush the passer. By having to bring that 5th defender up into the play the cover 2 is severely stressed and easily exposed in the outside perimeter routes and the deep middle of the field. We saw this on MNF when Brady had all day to read the defense and dissect it like a surgeon because of an inadequate Vikings pass rush. Especially inside where both of the William's barely got close to Brady enabling Tom to step up into what were huge pockets and make throw after throw all over the place.

So it will be imperative for the Pats 5 OL to be able to protect Brady well enough from the Bears front 4 so that they are forced to blitz. If the Bears are having to blitz Brady then I'll feel very comfortable knowing that he'll eventually make them pay by exposing what will be a weakness in the secondary.

If the Bears are able to pressure Brady with just 4 DL then it will be a tough go for our offense.

Excellent post bobs my Uncle. Thanks.
Taught me a thing or 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back