Welcome to PatsFans.com

Look What Wonderful Obama Said

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Harry Boy, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +493 / 2 / -9

Jesus Christ
    Obama Said This :confused:
    "Ronald Reagan changed the trajectory of America in a way that Richard Nixon did not, and a way that Bill Clinton did not," he said, describing Reagan as appealing to a sentiment that, "We want clarity, we want optimism, we want a return to that sense of dynamism nad entrepreneurship that had been missing."
    http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0108/Transformation_like_Reagan.html
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

Reagan was the our most racist modern president, ran up huge deficits, but thank god failed with 99% of his social agenda, and led the right-wing to adapt a decidedly liberal approach to the Soviet Union (embracing Gorby and perestroika). Nonetheless, the main reason I support Obama is because he is running a very smart campaign, trying to bridge the gap between left, right, and middle.
  3. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +89 / 7 / -13

#37 Jersey

How can you say that? Take a look at the racial tensions in this country now and in the 90's. The racial tension is much worse than in the 80's. If he was such a racist why would Obama even bring his name up, maybe because he was one hell of a President. Looks even better compared to the last 2 we've had.

God man, think with your own mind, or does it never come out of party mode?
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  4. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Racism is the modern witch hunt - you accuse it of someone, and people automatically assume it's true. That's why I think we should all be careful with this term (though I am in no way defending real racist scumbags).
  5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +241 / 8 / -26

Isn't the source of this thread somewhat biased, so the all the following comments need to be tempered..
  6. Patters

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

Maybe you're too young to remember Reagan's opposition to the civil rights act and open housing laws, lies about welfare queens, embrace of South African Apartheid, opposition to Martin Luther King Day, the fact that he launched his campaign in Philadelphia, MS (known only as a place where 3 civil rights workers were murdered), used coded phrases like "states rights," or maybe you just never really paid any attention to racism in the United States. Obama brings up Reagan because Obama is a really smart politician and understands that you cannot be partisan to win the White House. That's why I support him over Clinton and one of the reasons I support him over Edwards. I'm no more a party person than you. My political philosophy leaves me stuck most of the time with the Democrats, who are rarely liberal enough for me but at least more liberal than the Republicans.
  7. PatsFanInEaglesLand

Ratings:
    +89 / 7 / -13

#37 Jersey

I grew up in the 80's, Country was certainly better off under him that Clinton or Bush II

http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=3744

Do you have anything but DNC talking points?
  8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Reagan wasn't a racist. He did nothing to support that allegation. Just because he was fiscally tight on domestic spending and minorities are disproportionately dependent on federal programs does not automatically make such positions about race. If you are against entitlement programs that makes you racist? That's an absurd stretch.
    Why did you use that word in reference to this quote from Obama? He was in no way referring to racism. It was an economic statement. How does racism fit into this?
    And why does the term "states rights" connote racism? Of course it was used by racists, but racists also drink water and breathe air. Does that make water-drinkers and air-breathers racist?
  9. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

[size=+4]"Mr. Gorbachev, Tear down this wall!!"[/size][size=+3] -- Ronald Reagan, standing at the Berlin Wall, c. 1987

Reagan embraced Gorby, but not on communism's terms; Reagan did it on faith in God's terms.[/size]

//
  10. Patters

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

First of all, I was responding to PFIEL's response to my original comment.

In my original comment, I was saying that Reagan was a poor president, and racism was only one example I listed. I did not mention entitlement programs, except insofar as Reagan referred to welfare queens and the examples he cited were to my knowledge only of black fraud. Reasonably, one can presume there was white fraud, too.

I think you're reading things into my comments that simply are not there. Of course you can oppose entitlements and not be racist.

And, I am defending Obama for crediting Reagan, simply because Obama is trying to position himself to win the general election, not just the primaries.
  11. mtbykr

mtbykr Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#37 Jersey

That's a great reason to support someone for president....not becuase of his issues, record, or what he will do once in office....but becuase he runs a smart campaign:rolleyes:
  12. Patters

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

Yeah, I know, it's not the best reason, but the Presidency by its nature is a compromise, and the position has so much power that one has to factor in electability. That said, obviously Obama holds mainstream Democratic views (and on some issues he's fairly liberal); otherwise I would not support him.
  13. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Oh, my bad. So you weren't making a racial issue out of Obama's comments. Sorry, but he was responding to your injection of race into the discussion that had nothing to do with race until you started into it....

"Reagan was the our most racist modern president..."

Point is, not everything under the sun is about race and gender issues. Don't get sucked into that ridiculous format the media is feasting on.
  14. PatsFanInEaglesLand

Ratings:
    +89 / 7 / -13

#37 Jersey

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8U8I9PO0&show_article=1

You know what if a Democrat win the presidency I hope it is Obama. With the few positions we know from him, at least they are consistent. I might not like them but he doesn't really waiver.

I truly despise Hillary, what a ****. Is she in a god dmnd time wrap or something? And I hope the ambulance chaser quits after this week, I wanna puke when I see him and his bleached teeth and $400 haircut.
  15. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Reaganisms to grow on:

- "Facts are stupid things."

- "Eighty percent of all air pollution comes not from chimneys and auto exhaust pipes, but from plants and trees."

- "A tree is a tree. How many more do you have to look at?"

- "All the waste in a year from a nuclear power plant can be stored under a desk."

- "You know, your nose looks just like Danny Thomas's." (to the Lebanese foreign minister... Thomas was an entertainer of Lebanese background).

- "The United States has much to offer the Third World War." (he repeated this nine times in the same speech... nine).

and one of my personal favorites:

- "The Afghan Mujaheddin are the moral equivalalent of the Founding Fathers of America."
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  16. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +779 / 6 / -15

#87 Jersey

He is less liberal than Hillary who pretends to be a lefty moderate.