Welcome to PatsFans.com

Look what we did to this guy!

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PATSNUTme, Sep 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +97 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

Former Gitmo detainee killed in raid | The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

This poor guy didn't have a terrorist bone in his body until we burst into his home, in the dead of night, and sent him to Gitmo.

We all know that Gitmo is the 21st Century Andersonville. The horrors he experienced at Gitmo must have turned him. We all know from MSNBC and reading post on this board that we made terrorist out of innocents.

I do have a bad case of sarcasm today.
  2. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +145 / 2 / -1

"...about 11 percent, of the detainees released from Guantanamo had rejoined the fight..."

I guess the other 89% were just taught the error of their ways.
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  3. PATSNUTme

Ratings:
    +97 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

"Melma joined a long list of detainees believed to have reconnected with al-Qaida."

You left that out. They don't have to 'rejoin the fight" to be helping out AQ.

I hope that we read him his rights. "You have the right to remain silent- forever", is the right that I hope they read to him.
  4. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +145 / 2 / -1

I left it out because the implication is that the 61 are the long list, though it isn't written clearly.
  5. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -1

#15 Jersey

So, what's your point? That there were no innocent prisoners at Gitmo. We all know that there were terrorists imprisoned. We also know, that after being released that they joined forces against the U.S. What some people fail to recognize is that there were numerous cases of innocent victims.
  6. PATSNUTme

Ratings:
    +97 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

And you left his out:

Another former detainee who joined the al-Qaida franchise in Yemen was killed in a recent U.S. airstrike there.

BTW, the 'list" was in 2009. And does it really mater if it is 11%,15%, 50%, or 90%. These people were sent there for a reason, and then they were let go under pressure of the AI, and other far left groups.

I'm glad that Obama did not close Gitmo, as promised. And I'm glad that these scum are not sent to the US for civilian trials, as Obama promised. I know that his far left base is pissed at him for that. But in this regard, he listened to the majority of American people.
  7. PATSNUTme

Ratings:
    +97 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

How many, and were they really "innocent"? And why were the terrorist released?

My point is, as we near the 10th anniversary of 9/11, we need to know that these people are still out there. And once we capture them, we should not let them go. Despite the ACLU, AI, and other groups who concerned only about them, and not the safety of our soldiers or the American people.
  8. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +145 / 2 / -1

Oh, I'm sorry, was I supposed to quote the entire article you linked to?

It's your source.

Yes, it does. if you don't understand why it would matter whether 11% or 90% were actually fighting with Al Qaeda, there's no reason to continue to the conversation.
  9. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +145 / 2 / -1

Everybody does know that.

I love it when righties whine about the ACLU. It demonstrates your contempt for liberty and rights.
  10. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +296 / 1 / -9

Part 1
    They wept, they prayed, they slobbered, they slopped, they visited their shrinks, they screamed on the floors of congress, they vomited, they called our president (Bush) a monster, the poor little souls down in Gitmo playing Soccer were innocent little lambs being held by the dirty Americans and the Drunken Moron Bush "oh dear god, close that awful place Gitmo they whailed, let the poor dear souls return to their homes.

Part 2
    Bush goes home, beautiful wonderful charming Barack Hussein Obama moves in, oh boy thank god, happy days are here again, paradise, no more war, chicken in every pot, love and kisses, close gitmo, at last Hope And Change We Can Believe In.

As Sarah would say "how's that hope and change'y going for ya"
    :singing::singing::singing::singing::singing:

WE WILL BE ATTACKED AGAIN AND SOME OF THE GITMO DARLINGS WILL BE RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF IT----------YOU CAN BET ON IT.
  11. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +145 / 2 / -1

Then by all means detain everybody.

love the philosophy of fear embraced by the right
  12. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Do away with their civil rights, due process, equal justice and cruel and unusual punishment.. oh wait doesn't our beloved constitution define all of that.

The reality is that George Bush painted himself in a corner, and subsequent administrations cannot figure how to get out of it.. Congressional action refusing to close down Guantanamo did not help the situation.
  13. PATSNUTme

Ratings:
    +97 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

Our Constitution applies our citizens and non=citizens committing crimes on our soil. The Geneva convention applies to military of a nation state.

None of this applies to terrorist, not members of a military of a nation state, captured away from US soil. Look it up if you don't believe me.

So these terrorist are not subject to any of our rights. And, why the hell should they? Oh wait, they will treat our military better if we give them their rights? To them that means cutting off their heads with sharp blade instead of a dull blade.
  14. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +145 / 2 / -1

You're starting with the pre-supposition that they are terrorists.

and btw, the Constitution does not apply to "...our citizens or non-citizens committing crimes...." Our Constitution is about our government, and what it can and cannot do.
  15. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +111 / 7 / -10

These people were captured in combat zones this has nothing to do with criminals caught by police. as pointed out they are non uniformed combatants and should even be copvered by the Geneva convention, they should be held until hostilities cease. They were treated far better than the captives their side holds and murders.
  16. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +145 / 2 / -1

Who were the uniformed combatants? What nation were we at war with?

Where were these combat zones in which they were captured, relative to, say, where they lived?
  17. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +111 / 7 / -10

Exactly, we were dealing with terrorist who weren't supposed to be covered under the Geneva convention. Most of the GITMO detainees were caught in Afghanistan many, don't know the exact numbers, were from the disparate parts of the ME, for example one of the new leaders in Libya was a GITMO detainee. They were in Afghanistan because they harbored AL Queda.
  18. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Total bullsh!t. You look it up and tell us all where Constitutional rights do not apply to non-Americans or enemy combatants. You're the one who makes the claim. Back it up!

The Constitution applies to everyone on the planet. Nowhere does it reserve the rights within to American citizens exclusively or anyone on American soil. It applies to everyone under control or jurisdiction of the US government regardless of location, citizenship, occupation or country of origin.
  19. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +111 / 7 / -10

Not until the past 10 years, matters of facts thousands of Germans were held in the US with no constitutional rights:

http://faculty.rcc.edu/sellick/The Supreme Court Goes to War.pdf
  20. PATSNUTme

Ratings:
    +97 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

It's called he Constitution of the United States of America. It does not "say" all that jive that you just said, because it applies to the United States and it's Territories. And no, it does not apply to enemy combatants outside the US or it's territories.

So if there is, as you say, bull****, I guess you are the one spreading it. It does not apply to "everyone on the planet" because we do not rule the world. Unless you think that the laws of other countries don't apply, and their laws are voided by the US Constitution.

By your logic there was no need of the Geneva Convention. They could have just said the US Constitution applies to "everyone on the planet". But I guess they just wanted to make things complicated. :eek:

I'm done with this now. So if you and others want to make a pretzel of the Constitution, then do so.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.