PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Look at the positives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriot_dynasty

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
The Brady saga has taken a bad turn, but Patriots are moving in the right direction...FORWARD. If the team is not going to dwell on it, than neither should the fans. Lets look at the positives here:

1. Brady's injury happened in week 1, so he will be back on time next year
2. The Pats still won, and when Brady left the game it was 0-0
3. The Pats have the easiest schedule on paper
4. It was this kind of thing that got the team going in 2001. Lets be honest, Tom Brady was no MVP in 2001...he was a wet behind the ears back-up that was tasked not to do anything to lose the game.

I'm not expecting the Pats to go undefeated, but I also expect a back-up to be ready to come in when needed. Matt did just that. The season has just gotten that much more interesting.

4. It was this kind of thing that got the team going in 2001. Lets be honest, Tom Brady was no MVP in 2001...he was a wet behind the ears back-up that was tasked not to do anything to lose the game.

That is a media created myth. Brady was asked to win many games late in the 4th quarter in 2001 - and he did.

If Cassel can manage the game, this team can definitely compete in the AFC East. He'll likely need to do much more than that if this team is going to repeat 2001.

While I don't completely agree with your "media" comment (because I watched all the games and that was my opinion) I see where you are coming from.

That is a media created myth. Brady was asked to win many games late in the 4th quarter in 2001 - and he did.

If Cassel can manage the game, this team can definitely compete in the AFC East. He'll likely need to do much more than that if this team is going to repeat 2001.

All we need is Randy and Wes to rally behind Matt - You give him that and we got a better chance than most teams.

Like I said before, give Matt his snaps, BUT, if he starts peeing his pants out there during these loud road games when teams are throwing everything but the kitchen sink at him and we start going down the crapper because of it. SCRAP IT and play the rooks, don't beat a dead horse.

I would rather see O'Connell, Wheatley, Wilhite, Crabes and Slater develop, instead of sticking with Matt and limping to a 8-8 finish without developing the rooks.

This week will be a major test for Matt in hostile territory. Rat-man is going to throw it all at Matt, the crowd will be viscious. Let's see if Matt pee-pees his pants or shows us he's ready.

Let's not get all fired up about Matt, call it like it is. He threw 2 balls that should have been picked yesterday and that was against a team that would have trouble beating OSU.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Let's not get all fired up about Matt, call it like it is"

Wow, you are a hell of a fan. You may want to just wrap up the season and stick to baseball and basketball until next year when the rest of us get through the hard times.

I am rallying behind the QB currently taking the snaps. If the rooks were as talented as you perceive, they would be playing...right?

I may be wearing rose colored glasses, but the Pats won yesterday and are currently 1-0. One week at a time is how we all need to be riding this bus.

1. Brady's injury happened in week 1, so he will be back on time next year
2. The Pats still won, and when Brady left the game it was 0-0
3. The Pats have the easiest schedule on paper

ADD
5. Either Cassel (7th rounder) makes this team go and becomes a proven #2 (or GREAT tradebait as a #1 option for some team), or we move on to someone else (Simms? O'Connell?) and end the experiment.

Like I said before, give Matt his snaps, BUT, if he starts peeing his pants out there during these loud road games when teams are throwing everything but the kitchen sink at him and we start going down the crapper because of it. SCRAP IT and play the rooks, don't beat a dead horse.

I would rather see O'Connell, Wheatley, Wilhite, Crabes and Slater develop, instead of sticking with Matt and limping to a 8-8 finish without developing the rooks.

This week will be a major test for Matt in hostile territory. Rat-man is going to throw it all at Matt, the crowd will be viscious. Let's see if Matt pee-pees his pants or shows us he's ready.

Let's not get all fired up about Matt, call it like it is. He threw 2 balls that should have been picked yesterday and that was against a team that would have trouble beating OSU.
HUGE test for Cassel. He had as good a game yesterday as Favre did for the Jets. If I'm a Pats fan (and I am) I'm heading down to NY next week (and I am). I was going anyways. I hope to see lots of Pats fans down there as well. DONT SELL YOUR TICKETS! Go to the game! The Pats will need to see some red, white, and blue in Meadowlands.

Sorry to say, Matt...It's show time and you need to get it up.

I love the attitude, but color me realistic. Matt Cassell hasn't a chance in hell of leading this team to the playoff's....and either does Simms or Rattay. All the three and outs will kill the defense.

I love the attitude, but color me realistic. Matt Cassell hasn't a chance in hell of leading this team to the playoff's....and either does Simms or Rattay. All the three and outs will kill the defense.

The Kyle Orton-led Bears just defeated the Peyton Manning-led Colts.

Chris Simms has led a team to the playoffs before (though I'd rather have Cassel behind center).

I do color you realistic and I share the same "non-confidence" in Cassell as you do, start Kevin O'Connell, he's a better QB.

Soooo the Pats owe ALL of their recent success to one player?

Tell that to the other 52 players, the front office and the coaches. No running backs to speak of, right, or receivers, no line, no D, so, yeah, if Matt Cassell makes any mistakes, the season is over... PLEASE... Brady is not a great player on a bad team he is a great player on a great team.

What a joke. Go route for the flavor of the day...whomever it is.

I do color you realistic and I share the same "non-confidence" in Cassell as you do, start Kevin O'Connell, he's a better QB.

I've asked this several times before. Why is O'Connell the better QB? and don't give me that crap about he looked great in school, and he scored a T.D. in the preseason. I could care less. Tell me specifics about WHY you think he's better. If you can't, then please stop bashing Cassel, and give the kid a chance. Obviously, that's what B.B. is doing, and i'm pretty sure he knows whats good for the Pats.

I've asked this several times before. Why is O'Connell the better QB? and don't give me that crap about he looked great in school, and he scored a T.D. in the preseason. I could care less. Tell me specifics about WHY you think he's better. If you can't, then please stop bashing Cassel, and give the kid a chance. Obviously, that's what B.B. is doing, and i'm pretty sure he knows whats good for the Pats.

We have seen 4 full preseasons of Matt Cassell, we have seen him come in to the Miami game last year and on his first play, throw a TD pass to Jason Taylor, he looked "Pop Warner-ish" this pre-season. What have you actually seen to think that Matt Cassell is better than Dante Culpepper never mind Kevin O'Connell.

O'Connell had the smarts in only his second game to read a defense, check off to a better play and he throws a fade to Chad Jackson for 6. I have yet to see Matt Cassell have the smarts to do that and he's in his 4th year.

O'Connell had about 33% of the snaps that Cassell had this pre-season and Kevin looked much better in those snaps than Cassell did in his.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back