PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Look at Minnesota last season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Patriot Guy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
People have mentioned that we avoided the poison pill and avoided pissing off a team.

I have mentioned several times how the Seahawks used a poison pill in the signing of Vikings RFA Nate Burleson last season. I had forgotten that it was pretty much a retaliation of the Vikings doing the exact same thing to sign Steve Hutchison.

So as others have said, we gave up a 7th rounder to not start a a bad trend against us.

People have mentioned that we avoided the poison pill and avoided pissing off a team.

I have mentioned several times how the Seahawks used a poison pill in the signing of Vikings RFA Nate Burleson last season. I had forgotten that it was pretty much a retaliation of the Vikings doing the exact same thing to sign Steve Hutchison.

So as others have said, we gave up a 7th rounder to not start a a bad trend against us.

And as I keep mentioning, we also have given ourselves the freedom to work out a deal with Welker on our own terms. I'm pretty sure that is worth the roughly the 230th best player entering the NFL this season.

Last edited:
I doubt the Dolphins care that much about ''wronging'' them. If they feel it's advantageous to offer a poison pill contract then that's what they'll do, regardless of any other factors, and I am certain that the Patriots are the same way.

Here's an easy way to look at it:

Potential trading partners want to ensure they get the best deal and not look for loopholes all the time.

We just gave a very cheap carrot to continue to appear to be a great franchise to deal with.

Teams with players to move (ie Briggs, Moss) may now view us a bit more favorably as a trading partner

is it so bad to get a 2nd rounder for a player? and if you think he's mroe valuable than a 2nd rounder then tender him higher like the chargers did with Turner.

In this league there is no nice nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back