PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Look at Minnesota last season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Patriot Guy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
People have mentioned that we avoided the poison pill and avoided pissing off a team.

I have mentioned several times how the Seahawks used a poison pill in the signing of Vikings RFA Nate Burleson last season. I had forgotten that it was pretty much a retaliation of the Vikings doing the exact same thing to sign Steve Hutchison.

So as others have said, we gave up a 7th rounder to not start a a bad trend against us.

People have mentioned that we avoided the poison pill and avoided pissing off a team.

I have mentioned several times how the Seahawks used a poison pill in the signing of Vikings RFA Nate Burleson last season. I had forgotten that it was pretty much a retaliation of the Vikings doing the exact same thing to sign Steve Hutchison.

So as others have said, we gave up a 7th rounder to not start a a bad trend against us.

And as I keep mentioning, we also have given ourselves the freedom to work out a deal with Welker on our own terms. I'm pretty sure that is worth the roughly the 230th best player entering the NFL this season.

Last edited:
I doubt the Dolphins care that much about ''wronging'' them. If they feel it's advantageous to offer a poison pill contract then that's what they'll do, regardless of any other factors, and I am certain that the Patriots are the same way.

Here's an easy way to look at it:

Potential trading partners want to ensure they get the best deal and not look for loopholes all the time.

We just gave a very cheap carrot to continue to appear to be a great franchise to deal with.

Teams with players to move (ie Briggs, Moss) may now view us a bit more favorably as a trading partner

is it so bad to get a 2nd rounder for a player? and if you think he's mroe valuable than a 2nd rounder then tender him higher like the chargers did with Turner.

In this league there is no nice nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey