Long snapper Aiken back with Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady6

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Shocking news, I know…
By Mike Reiss | ESPNBoston.com

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Long snapper Danny Aiken is present at Gillette Stadium this morning, an indication that he has been re-signed by the New England Patriots five days after the club waived him. This positions Aiken to be the club's primary snapper for the fourth straight year.

The Patriots flirted with a change at the position in recent days, risking the loss of Aiken, who worked out for the Broncos on Tuesday.

But part of the team's thinking was probably that Aiken was a safe bet to return, and by opening up a roster spot over the last five days, it created an opportunity to bring a player at another position aboard.

With Aiken now back with the Patriots, the club has one other open roster spot. Linebacker Chris White, a core special-teamer who was waived Sunday, is one candidate to fill it.

Long snapper Danny Aiken back with Patriots - espnBoston

Shocking!

claude-raines-is-shocked-o.gif

Good.
There was nothing better available. Aiken is clearly experienced snapping for the punter and kicker.
One bad snap over the punter can be a game-changing mistake. The odds of that are higher with an inexperienced team.

They'll probably target an upgrade high in the draft next year, when we are all studying the guards, safeties, and tight ends.

Still 2 spots open - The Safety should be cut again, but Wonder who outside of White could join.

Last edited:
And the Broncos called him for a workout in the meantime :rolleyes:

Ventrone flashbacks.

I was expecting this move. There's really no one else available with his skills. The team COULD have used Ninkovich if they REALLY needed to, but Aiken was always the safe bet to return.

I suspect that our kickers are both breathing a sigh of relief just now.

The Patriots signed UDFA Tyler Ott as a possible replacement but he got run over in the Philadelphia
preseason game. Ott was a highly rated college player.

Damnit……. I guess we really do intend to punt the ball and attempt FG's this year. :mad::confused:

So, what happened? Did they restructure his deal or something?

I was expecting this move. There's really no one else available with his skills. The team COULD have used Ninkovich if they REALLY needed to, but Aiken was always the safe bet to return.

I suspect that our kickers are both breathing a sigh of relief just now.

Yup. This move was so predictable (or, at least another LS if not Aiken) that I was surprised to see anyone wonder what Bill was thinking.

So, what happened? Did they restructure his deal or something?

Nothing. Just roster shuffling- playing the numbers game. They wanted to keep Mallett on the roster until they could deal him, rather than let him go for nothing.

The exchange was for a 7th but is conditional, which is why I am rooting for Mallett to start in Houston sooner or later, so that it can turn into a 6th or even a 5th. I think the condition is triggered by play time incentives.

Allen and Ghost get their friend back

Find it amusing that the bottom of the roster gets this much attention, imagine if we were the Raiders or another hapless franchise... otoh this is probably good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back