PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Long Hair Covering Names on Jerseys - Should the NFL crack down?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Should the NFL take action?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

NEP4Life

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
We've all seen dreads and other long hairstyles getting to the point where the name on the jersey is obstructed.

Should the NFL crack down?

of course, the national fine league doesn't have enough frivioulous fines it needs more.

I voted no. If you're dumb enough to wear your hair long, then I think it is a bonus for opponents. Just another thing to grab to knock you down without fear of a penalty. There was a speedy WR yesterday (can't think of name or team, sorry - maybe because his hair was covering his name, LOL) on the highlights that they showed getting dragged down by his dreads. If I was his coach his hair would be coming off today.

You know, I think the issue needs to be framed in terms of player safety, then league officials will come running with memos, fines, and finger-wagging NFL Network appearances.

No, if you have it long expect to be tackled by it though, like Torrey Smith was yesterday!

I voted no. If you're dumb enough to wear your hair long, then I think it is a bonus for opponents. Just another thing to grab to knock you down without fear of a penalty. There was a speedy WR yesterday (can't think of name or team, sorry - maybe because his hair was covering his name, LOL) on the highlights that they showed getting dragged down by his dreads. If I was his coach his hair would be coming off today.

Torrey Smith from Baltimore, had a sure TD and the DB grabbed and yanked him down by his hair. Initially the refs threw a flag for horsecollar, but they picked it up and called it a legal tackle.

I voted NO...

b/c I want to see some player have his hair yanked...

It is LEGAL it is not part of the uniform... A WR w/ Long hair Yank it pull him to the ground it isn't a horse collar or any penalty for that matter. If Goldylocks wants to grow his hair out let him. (just know it is not part of the uniform and is NOT subject to a penalty if you use it to bring a player down:)).

No. This is dumb. This isn't the military, the NFL should not regulate your personal appearance. There is no need.

Last edited:
I'd LMFAO if some Tackle does a holding by grabbing Clay Matthews Hair.

Technically is that a holding penalty? I don't think so:cool::cool::cool:

Something is being tugged that is not part of the uniform

A league rule regarding names is as follows:
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jerseys
(b) Jersey must cover all pads and other protective equipment worn on the torso and upper arms, and must be appropriately tailored to remain tucked into the uniform pants throughout the game. Tearaway jerseys are prohibited. Mesh jerseys with large fishnet material (commonly referred to as “bullet-hole” or “port-hole” mesh) are also prohibited. Surnames of players in letters a minimum of 2 1/2-inches high must be affixed to the exterior of jerseys across the upper back above the numerals; nicknames are prohibited. All jerseys must carry a small NFL Equipment logo at the middle of the yoke of the neck on the front of the garment. All fabrics must be approved by the League office prior to production.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/2011_Rule_Book.pdf

I don't think it is a stretch to assume that since surnames are required that they should also be readable. It doesn't specifically state that they must be though. So hair covering surnames is legal. Chad Johnson was fined $5000 for covering his surname "Johnson" with "Ocho Cinco" during a Bengals game.

UniformViolation.com - The Sports Fashion Police

I voted yes. It's starting to look like Aliens vs Predators out there. ;)

Last edited:
Yes, immediate enforcement, the referee should be given hair clippers.

New poll. Is the OP a tight-wad to worries way too much about other peoples' hair styles, or just a guy with way too much time on his hands?

New poll. Is the OP a tight-wad to worries way too much about other peoples' hair styles, or just a guy with way too much time on his hands?

Or has lost his hair due to the "maturation process".

Three words
1. Doctor
2. Mark
3. DiStefano

Three more words:
1. get
2. over
3. it.

Who gives a f***?

OP must be pretty young, because the COmpetition Committee tried limiting hair length a couple of years ago and got b!tch slapped by the players. It will never happen.

move that thread to the ross ventrone please. not for his hair. just for the practise squad thing lol

Is this another Ross Ventrone thread. If so, I don't know where to move it.

I vote for the ultimate sanction - the death penalty.

Last edited:
This thread sucks more then anything has ever sucked before

No, it should not be against the rules. Also pulling someones hair to take them down should be a 15 yard flag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots