PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

London

Status
Not open for further replies.
They haven't quite got to grasps with a microwave ;)

Ah, so! This must also explain the dearth of English food in China & India (which rival the # of Italian joints in Merry Olde). .

Taunton > err The County Ground?

Hey! That's my home ground you're talking about. Yes, it may be a dump with ridiculously short boundaries, but I still love the place :D

Last edited:
Hey! That's my home ground you're talking about. Yes, it may be a dump with ridiculously short boundaries, but I still love the place :D

I love the place too. Spent many of my schooldays there watching a Chris Tavare innings and wishing I had gone to school instead.

I love the place too. Spent many of my schooldays there watching a Chris Tavare innings and wishing I had gone to school instead.

What about Botham, Richards and Garner? (I'm a Lancs man, myself).

We don't have it on the board, but most people know we do them. We are the only place that does them in town.

But there is a reason we call them 'mini heart attacks' ;)

Yes -- I only had about half an inch of one, once, for the experience. That was enough for me. But it was pretty nice if you like very sweet things.

I read this comment on English cuisine: There are thousands of Italian restaurants in England. I wonder why there are hardly any English restaurants in Italy?

Comments from our Brit contingent?

Well, relatively few penniless Brits moved to Italy after the War looking for work. ;)

Actually, I know some British-owned restaurants in France and Italy (two with Michelin stars). But I have to admit that the cooks are native. The best Italian restaurant in Britain, though (and better than any I've been to in Italy) is the River Cafe and it is run by two non-Italians: Emine Saner talks to the River Cafe's Ruth Rogers and Rose Gray | Life and style | The Guardian

But, obviously, it's ridiculous to think that British cuisine in general matches Italian. What you can say is that, if you know where to look, it's terrific and very cosmopolitan -- and the basic ingredients can be amazing. You haven't eaten an apple until you've had a first-rate Cox's Orange Pippin.

London is a great city, had a fun time there a few years ago. I'd have to say my favorite is Edinburgh though, what a great little city

London is a great city, had a fun time there a few years ago. I'd have to say my favorite is Edinburgh though, what a great little city

Glasgow is a much better town for pubs, girls and music. If you want to see the third world, head up to Inverness.

Or down to Brecon or Cardiff... :D

They blame the period of food rationing after the war as the reason we fell behind in our cuisine. I must say I do love roast dinners, stews and the English breakfast though and I would rather go down the local cafe for a some eats than go to some fancy foriegn restaurant.

They blame the period of food rationing after the war as the reason we fell behind in our cuisine. I must say I do love roast dinners, stews and the English breakfast though and I would rather go down the local cafe for a some eats than go to some fancy foriegn restaurant.

Indeed... whenever I get over there, I always take in the full breakfast at the B&B. It's a LOT of food, and enough to keep you going through the day.

And the only thing better than a nice roast beef is pulled pork barbecue, although, the New England boiled dinner is also pretty tasty. :cool:

That's thing thing. I'm not sure fry-ups, roast dinners, stews, fish and chips, bangers and mash, pies etc, the traditional stuff we love, lend themselves well to the dining out experience. No doubt there are some great restaurants that do them really well - especially pies -, but I think the average Brit is still (unnecessarily imo) a little wary that they'll be getting some poncy version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes