PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

London

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one here who doesn't understand maybe half the stuff that's being said in these posts? English is such a confusing language.

They're talking about the Old Firm Derby (that's Darr-by, not Derr-by), the rivalry between Rangers and Celtic of Glasgow.

Modern day Brits dont hold any resentment, we're safe in the knowledge that had the likes of the PARAS and SAS been around then it wouldn't have happened and we regard our forefathers as cowards.

FWIW there was a thread in late '07 where we posted how we found the NFL and ended up following the Patriots. Alot of interesting stories in that thread too but I can't remember the name, I'd imagine it's out there somewhere. Wembley is a world class arena but very much soccer specific. Twickenham has been mentioned alot by fans as a better venue and alot agree.

I'd let the NFL come to Anfield but it's sacred, holy ground.

Modern day Brits dont hold any resentment, we're safe in the knowledge that had the likes of the PARAS and SAS been around then it wouldn't have happened and we regard our forefathers as cowards.

FWIW there was a thread in late '07 where we posted how we found the NFL and ended up following the Patriots. Alot of interesting stories in that thread too but I can't remember the name, I'd imagine it's out there somewhere. Wembley is a world class arena but very much soccer specific. Twickenham has been mentioned alot by fans as a better venue and alot agree.

I'd let the NFL come to Anfield but it's sacred, holy ground.

I get the feeling you're not gonna cope too well when they sell it for flats are you?!!!;)

I get the feeling you're not gonna cope too well when they sell it for flats are you?!!!;)

Haha, these two clowns for owners haven't got the muscle to build a new stadium. I know deep down it's beneficial for the team to move into a larger stadium but every season still spent at Anfield is special and we're going to be there for a few more years atleast.

Your right though, I really can't imagine Liverpool without it if/when it happens.

Last edited:
Hopefully there will be some Mancester united fans in the staduim booing the Bucs!!! Glazer family took the richest sports club in the world and saddled them with 800 million debt! Plus they have raised the ticket rices at Mancester pricing out true fans. I believe they are doing a similar thing at the Bucs!

Would love to be there and give the Glazers some stick but sadly (and almost inevitably, knew it'd happen as soon as I heard the Pats were playing over here) it clashes with United's biggest away game of the season, and frankly I rate my chances of getting to another Patriots game (be it over here or in the US) higher than I do getting another away ticket for Anfield anytime soon.

I'm a relative newbie to the sport and the Patriots really, have always been almost obsessed with soccer and a big fan of numerous other sports but the NFL passed me by for years for many reasons - inconvenient times, the season running concurrently with the English soccer season, a real lack of any sort of mainstream coverage and perhaps an unquestioning acceptance of the typical ignorant view many this side of the pond had/still have of the sport (too many breaks in play, overly complicated rules and all that nonsense). Can honestly and sadly say I'd never watched a game until 2001.

Luckily one of my housemates in my first year of university was originally from New England and a huge Patriots fan so I was won over to an extent thanks to him - watched a few games and developed a passing interest over the next few years, before really getting into it around 2005/2006ish due to finally getting Sky TV and a means of watching games every week (as well as meeting a couple of other good friends who are really into the game). The Patriots and the NFL now run United and soccer very close, which is something I never thought I'd say about any team/sport - just a real shame there's this schedule clash this weekend.

--------

Regarding Wembley (the rebuilt version anyway), maybe it's familiarity breeding contempt, a north/south thing, a sense of "all that time and money for this?" or something else, but I'm not a fan of it at all. Doesn't have the character the old Wembley seemed to have (granted I was much younger and wide-eyed, and less cynical, for my visits there) and has always struck me as soulless and essentially a larger-scale version of a number of almost identikit soccer stadia we have in England. Would love to see Old Trafford hosting a game, although I don't think the playing surface meets the minimum NFL requirements sadly.

Last edited:

GREAT post.

I gotta admit that as the consummate wiseass, I'm drinking in a bar in Paderborn Germany back when that was the Brit sector in the mid 80s and I'm sitting next to a couple guys who turned out to be SAS. For once in my life reason and survival over rode my personality and I made zero jokes about the Micks & Brits. I'm a typical redhead, Fitzgerald on me Mom's side and a Scot on me Dad's.

Would love to see Old Trafford hosting a game, although I don't think the playing surface meets the minimum NFL requirements sadly.

I think Old Trafford might be a tad dangerous for an NFL game, I was there the other week for the Super League (Rugby League) Grand Final and the slopes at the edges of the pitch caused a few problems for players (a few slid down into the ad boards). I don't think there'd be enough room down the sidelines for the players/coaches. I don't think there's a stadium in the north suited for the NFL, which is a shame :(

I think Old Trafford might be a tad dangerous for an NFL game, I was there the other week for the Super League (Rugby League) Grand Final and the slopes at the edges of the pitch caused a few problems for players (a few slid down into the ad boards). I don't think there'd be enough room down the sidelines for the players/coaches. I don't think there's a stadium in the north suited for the NFL, which is a shame :(

Yes there is, it's called Murrayfield. ;)

Yes there is, it's called Murrayfield. ;)

That's Scotland not the north of England :p Wouldn't be a bad place to have a game though, the Super League took me to Murrayfield in the summer, good stadium and lots of room down the sidelines (especially the one with the 100m track down it :p)

Yeah, one of the tabloids ran a story last year that OT was in line to host games in 2010/2011 and a few people got excited about it but the measurements just don't work. Even with soccer the touchlines/sidelines aren't far at all from the very edges of the playing surface, and like you say, the only way Super League gets played there is with tiny in-goal areas/endzones (don't follow Rugby League so no idea what they're called :D). Not enough room lengthways for NFL endzones or widthways to fit all the personnel on the sidelines.

There's been some talk of Murrayfield, don't know how feasible that is - probably not much nearer Manchester than Wembley I guess. The Millennium Stadium's another option maybe but again, no use for the north (although being Welsh and with lots of family down there I'd take that as a compromise...).

SP, Rafa's last season?

All depends on the owership situation IMO. I don't think Gillett and Hicks are looking at making moves now because I don't believe their own futures are at Liverpool, atleast not in majortiy ownership capacity anyways. The two parties sounded out as potential new owners/serious investors are both fans of Rafa's management so I would think they would back him in their power for atleast another season.

I don't blame Benitez, I blame the owners for not backing him and moving the club forward like they promised they would. Granted he has made some poor signings in the past but by and large he has taken this club on the road back to where it belongs and given more backing I think we would have seen another player or two at Liverpool and the passengers like Babel out the door. He had to replace Alonso and Arbeloa because they both wanted to leave and that was that, spending finished, there you go Rafa now go and win the league with a paper thin squad.

I have to admit a fondness for Glasgow. As an older Goth, it was a great place to stay for a few weeks. Nice pubs, good people, great music, etc.

Pretty good looking women, too... :D

It still is very good for music and the people are still, in general, ok. The pubs are, of course, very good. The downside to Glasgow is trying to get home! A serious lack of transport I'm afraid around closing time. Not the nicest of places if you have to walk through some of the outlying districts. :eek:

I'm not a Goth fan, but in my youth Glasgow was a tremendous place for music. Simple Minds, Del Amitri, Lloyd Cole, Danny Wilson, Aztec Camera etc, all big in the 80's.
Now, my favourite venue for a gig is Oran Mor in the WestEnd of the city.

There's been some talk of Murrayfield, don't know how feasible that is - probably not much nearer Manchester than Wembley I guess. The Millennium Stadium's another option maybe but again, no use for the north (although being Welsh and with lots of family down there I'd take that as a compromise...).

It sort of works: I used to go to Claymores games there as a teenager. Whoever thought Gav Hastings would make a decent kicker was delusional.

I'm from Edinburgh, but I've lived in Cambridge for ten years. My neighbours emigrated to Boston in '85, just after Channel 4 had started showing highlights, and...

I'll be up in the corner endzone seats.

That's Scotland not the north of England :p Wouldn't be a bad place to have a game though, the Super League took me to Murrayfield in the summer, good stadium and lots of room down the sidelines (especially the one with the 100m track down it :p)

Oops! When you said the North, I thought you meant the North of the UK, which is Scotland, not the North of England, which is Newcastle? :D
For a minute there, I thought we had been granted complete independance, and we were no longer part of the UK! One can only dream. :D
Anyway you are correct, the 70,000 all seater Murrayfield Stadium would be an excellant place to host an NFL game.
Murrayfield014.jpg

Well one thing I'm glad to learn from this thread is that the Patriots will really be playing a home game because nobody over there likes Glazer for taking over Manchester U, so the Bucs will be getting plenty of boos.

Well one thing I'm glad to learn from this thread is that the Patriots will really be playing a home game because nobody over there likes Glazer for taking over Manchester U, so the Bucs will be getting plenty of boos.

The Patriots are also probably the most supported team in the UK, but at the same time they are also the most hated team in the UK so hopefully there will be a good atmosphere of people actually supporting a team rather than just cheering every touchdown.

I fly to London from Wroclaw, Poland tomorrow and I'm looking forward to the game. I was hoping it's going to be competitive game but the Bucs are so bad this year. Anyway Pats will put 59 on them so we all could wonder if our clocks moved back 1 hour the night before or moved back 2 years so we have 2007 again :)

As I write occasionally only, but read a lot of this forum since I found it, I must say it's great place and classy people here. I'm Pats fan since SB XXXI (1997)

Will the crowd know well enough to keep quiet while the Patriots are on offense? Or will people be singing soccer-style hymns the whole time?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back