PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

London stadium being designed as home of NFL franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to mention the labor law differences. Is the draft even legal in the UK? Is the salary cap legal? Will UK courts enforce the provisions of the CBA? On the other hand, the players will probably like the grotesquely favorable to plaintiffs libel laws...

They have financial fair play in many sports. Why the draft would not be cool? What is the difference between and a contract with a young soccer player?

I think they should have a league of his own and I'm sure they would take much love for the sport with athletes trained there with identification with the city, but any hindrance in law is based on total ignorance . Agreements in all sports are respected , do not know why it would be different in football . Soccer is governed by FIFA , it creates rules for the sport , including on transaction players , contracts, in more than 100 countries ( arabic countries as well) and everyone respects its rules. And soccer is the biggest sport in the world. An alloy (I repeat , I think SHOULD NOT EXIST ) between two countries would be impossible ?

Look, my post about the Canadiens/Bruins was a knee-jerk semi-cheap shot for which I apologize. My larger point is that our attempt to claim exclusive ownership of these sports is wrong. Basketball is clearly a global sport, baseball has been huge in Latin America for more than a century and ice hockey is multi-national as well and, despite some jingoists' (not you) attempts to claim otherwise, has its roots in Canada not the US. As I posted earlier, I consider the NFL venture into London a foolish waste of time. But, that doesn't mean we can claim exclusive rights to all four major sports.

No need to apologize Jackson...but I appreciate your humility.

But we can claim exclusive rights if we want to....and I want to. Why would I want any US sport to be diluted just to allow other nations to compete with us? I have zero interest in seeing that happen.

Americans are very nationalistic about our sports...it may be horseshit, but it's very real.

I will not, nor want to discuss with you about this. Im just saying this:

It was a Canadian professor who created basketball.

The baseball and American football are derivations of other sports . The Baseball seems to have derived from a game called rounders and brought by the British to the United States .

American football has its origin in Rugby and Soccer .

So this jingoism , can be given regarding the leagues , but sports are global with the exception of football.

I understand the protectionism of the leagues , they are the most fun and enjoyable to watch, IMO. But I disagree with respect to sports.

It is equal to soccer, German and Brazilian best play the sport, but it is global. And the best league to watch is the English Premier League.

As a Brit who attends the Wembley games every year and have been an NFL fan for 30 odd years now...

The thought of a European based NFL franchise fills me with dread. It completely ruins the integrity of the league (the Wembley games test that integrity as it is) - it is a domestic league and should stay that way.

(By the way, you can't be World Champions without winning a world championship. Winning your domestic league doesn't count, irrespective of there being no other team in the world that can beat you. NFL champions? Yes. Superbowl champions? Absolutely. World champions? No)

With regard to the local fanbase, I imagine most fans would be like me - I'd support the London team as my second team, and would cheer them on against everyone apart from the current world champions (*cough*)

At the end of the day, Goodell and co have seen the massive revenues the Premier League have garnered globally and they want some of that action. That they may be prepared to obliterate the game's integrity to do so is extremely worrying.

Last edited:
But I'm sure most American NFL fans are against it, so you're on the side of the minority.

Why would you want international teams?

I dont know about him. But i want to watch the best football i can.
If more people play , the best athletes are formed. The game that already has an excellent level will have an even better level.
The Spurs dominate the NBA with 3 foreign to their posts . The best individual players are still Americans ( Lebron , Durant , Davis) .But if no country in the world played basketball yesterday you could have on the court playing the Wizards Scalabrine and whatever Rober Sacre type of player , rather than Nene and Gortat .

The amount you take quality.

The game would have emotion as any game has , but the quality would be lower . American football is now restricted to amateurs around the world and a professional league in the United States . If a European league was created would be much better , but if the first step is a team in London, so be it. Later this team maybe will help to found an alloy in different continents that would be fantastic .

You're thinking of the good of the NFL i guess. But all other major sports today are global. Do not think that profits are exorbitant only for the US market consumption. Today the product is seen in all countries and it helps to have more young people with the dream of playing. More people better games, IMO.

Again i dont want a NFL Europe Team. I want a Europe Football League. I just think its possible to have a team in London.

Last edited:
No need to apologize Jackson...but I appreciate your humility.

But we can claim exclusive rights if we want to....and I want to. Why would I want any US sport to be diluted just to allow other nations to compete with us? I have zero interest in seeing that happen.
Fair enough, but I guess my response would be that there was a time when many Canadian hockey fans had exactly the same concern. Namely, that their sport was being diluted by the presence of foreigners, principally US players.

It has nothing to do with "distance"....we just want to keep our sport purely American. They way it's been since the beginning. We have football, baseball, hockey and basketball. None of those sports has ever been spoiled by trying to make it a global thing.

Basically, we just dont' want to share our stuff with the rest of the world and that's a good thing.

That's probably why it's extremely rare for an American to support the crazy idea of "One World Government" or a New World Order.

We do fine on our own!

Beacuse all other sports are global. They have their own leagues. You should get cable TV.

101 foreign play in NBA( 37 countries)/ 12x x 30 = 360 players, so 28% are foreign.
MLB 224 /853 = 26% ( http://m.mlb.com/news/article/70623...sters-feature-224-players-born-outside-the-us)
Hockey 77.8% are foreign players ( 51% from Canada)
NFL 32 players/ 90 x 32 = 2880, so 1%

Which of the above sports would not be global ?

Beacuse all other sports are global. They have their own leagues. You should get cable TV.

101 foreign play in NBA( 37 countries)/ 12x x 30 = 360 players, so 28% are foreign.
MLB 224 /853 = 26% ( http://m.mlb.com/news/article/70623...sters-feature-224-players-born-outside-the-us)

Which MLB, NBA, or NHL teams are located outside of the U.S./Canada?

Which MLB, NBA, or NHL teams are located outside of the U.S./Canada?

Why Canada? Mexico is close too... Im talking about players, not the teams.. The guy said that Basketball, Baseball and Hockey are American ( as US) sports, im just saying that´s not true. Many pepole like and play basketball worldwide and Baseball and Hockey in certain parts of the Earth. And the MLB,NBA and NHL are great beacuse of them too. They may not be the league's stars . Some even are ( Parker , Ginobli and Duncan ) , but they help to increase the level of play . And so it is in all sports except football .

Canada is another country. So why Canada is ok, and Mexico is not? Beacuse they speak English? Beacuse is safe in Canada? Why?

Why Canada? Mexico is close too... Im talking about players, not the teams.. The guy said that Basketball, Baseball and Hockey are American ( as US) sports, im just saying that´s not true. Many pepole like and play basketball worldwide and Baseball and Hockey in certain parts of the Earth. And the MLB,NBA and NHL are great beacuse of them too. They may not be the league's stars . Some even are ( Parker , Ginobli and Duncan ) , but they help to increase the level of play . And so it is in all sports except football .

Canada is another country. So why Canada is ok, and Mexico is not? Beacuse they speak English? Beacuse is safe in Canada? Why?

So, to answer my question, the answer is none. None of the USAs four major sports has a team outside of the U.S./Canada. None of them are 'global'. This isn't somthing that should be news to anyone who follows those sports. It's apparently news to some posters here, though.

So, to answer my question, the answer is none. None of the USAs four major sports has a team outside of the U.S./Canada. None of them are 'global'. This isn't somthing that should be news to anyone who follows those sports. It's apparently news to some posters here, though.

And to answer my question?

And you´re wrong. None of the USAs four major LEAGUES has a team outside of the U.S./Canada.

The sports ( baseball, hockey ... ) they have 9182981982192 teams outside U.S/Canada ...

I think Mirotic was playing ball in a pasture in Europe , and not in a very strong Spain league. I think all these Cuban players , Venezuelans, are throwing balls in the backyard and teleport to the American leagues by magic. I think Lundqvist was in Sweden and some executive of the Rangers saw him juggling in Sweden
and thought he maybe be a reasonable player. If your definition of 'global` are a sport practiced in all countries . I think only soccer is global .

Players do not determine whether or not a sport is global. Team locations determine that. Do they play in their home countries or here in the good 'ol US of A?

Players do not determine whether or not a sport is global. Team locations determine that. Do they play in their home countries or here in the good 'ol US of A?

They play for money. Period.

Explain to me. How Miguel Cabrera is playing in US now, if they dont play baseball outside of US?

And you´re wrong. None of the USAs four major LEAGUES has a team outside of the U.S./Canada.

The sports ( baseball, hockey ... ) they have 9182981982192 teams outside U.S/Canada ...

Funny, I don't see those teams listed in the standings in the Boston Globe. Whether you like it or not, Americans don't want our sports changed to allow foreign teams. Start your own leagues....no big deal.

They play for money. Period.

Explain to me. How Miguel Cabrera is playing in US now, if they dont play baseball outside of US?

Who said other countries don't play our sports? I didnt....

We just don't want foreign teams in our leagues. You should be ok with that.

And to answer my question?

If you can't understand why Canada is o.k. (and Mexico is irrelevant) in a discussion about expansion into Europe, I don't know what to tell you.

Maybe you could look to all those South American teams in the Premier League for some guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes