LoMo mystery solved!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: LoMo mystery solved !!

Of the Roster of 53 in 05-07

05---three RBs THREE WEEKS four RBs NINE WEEKS five RBs SIX WEEKS
06---four RBs SIXTEEN WEEKS five RBs THREE WEEKS
07---four RBs FOURTEEN WEEKS five RBs FIVE WEEKS

As I was trying to point out, there's no real difference. This team has been running mostly with 4-5 rbs for the past several years.

It's been basically a one slot adjustment made from year to year, and even week to week. The same thing has happened in the secondary, with the linebackers, etc....

IMO LOMO has never been the same since his shoulder injury about half way through his rookie year. It may have been against Detroit,but a saftey poped him really good in the shoulder and he ha to leave the game.

Last edited:

You're like the Dale Arnold of this board. The guy just layed his argument out for you on a platter, and proved you wrong.

You are such a homer you cannot handle the facts. Maroney is made out glass, and he will never be anything special. He is a average back at best, and was not worth his high draft pick. I was attacked for saying it long ago, and look who's right again.

You (and others) attacked me for calling Jackson a bust, Maroney injury prone and Seymour over the hill. You where wrong on all counts! How did Seymour look last week? Ha-ha, exactly.

Actually, Seymour looked great last week. Or did you not see J.T. O'Sullivan running for his life every other play? The Pats were rushing three or four people and consistently breaking down the pocket.

Blah blah stats. Yeah, I know. Unfortunatley, stat sheets don't show everything. If you're going to look at stat sheets, Plaxico Burress had a very bad Super Bowl, Rodney Harrison was a hero for all the tackles he made, and the Giants D Line played like crap: Strahan 2 tackles and 1 sack, Umenyiora 3 tackles and 0 sacks. Who won that game again? I guess in your fantasy world the Pats, because the stats looked great!

So, please, shut the hell up about things you don't know.

Last edited:

I know you know that doesn't make sense, so I'm surprised you brought it up.

The absolutely only reason cloud and zeroue were on the team is because of injuries, You could have replaced those names with any on the waiver list that year.

I wasn't the one making the numbers argument to start with, Ray. Pretty much every year in the Belichick era prior to this one, you could have replaced a running back or two with someone off the waiver list. My point was only that the number of rbs doesn't "speaks volumes about how Belichick feels about Maroney."

It's as if the people here (I don't mean you, I'm referring to the earlier posters) have never watched Belioli with their pattern of bringing in veterans for looks at positions. Lamont Jordan is no different than the offensive linemen that were brought in during the offseason/training camp in terms of him being brought in. The difference is that the team felt he could still help the squad while other veterans (o-linemen, Webster, Bryant) didn't survive that question.

Bringing in veterans for a look is what this team does.

So, please, shut the hell up about things you don't know.

If he did that, he'd be mute for life. That's why his posts now all read the same to me:

This message is hidden because Patslifer is on your ignore list.

Last edited:

Clearly Maroney is not meant to be a smashmouth rb yet BB still seems intent on making him one.
Far be it for me to question BB but I just wish he would use Lomo as a receiver type like Westbrook.
He showed something last year when he was allowed to.

Just about every pass play out of a single back set has the RB staying at home to block because of the O-line and barely adequate blocking of the TEs. I can hardly recall any passes to Faulk out of the back field from Cassel nevermind to Maroney. We've seen a limited number of screens too. This may coincide with Cassel's limited ability to read defenses. Jordon is supposed to be a terrific receiver, but it's not happening there either. Hopefully the playbook opens up as the season progresses.

I wasn't the one making the numbers argument to start with, Ray. Pretty much every year in the Belichick era prior to this one, you could have replaced a running back or two with someone off the waiver list. My point was only that the number of rbs doesn't "speaks volumes about how Belichick feels about Maroney."

It's as if the people here (I don't mean you, I'm referring to the earlier posters) have never watched Belioli with their pattern of bringing in veterans for looks at positions. Lamont Jordan is no different than the offensive linemen that were brought in during the offseason/training camp in terms of him being brought in. The difference is that the team felt he could still help the squad while other veterans (o-linemen, Webster, Bryant) didn't survive that question.

Bringing in veterans for a look is what this team does.

Bringing in veterans for a look is what this team does :eek:

I hope the rest of the league never figures that out.

If you want to believe that this team was not "over loaded" at the RB position to start the year then nothing I say will change it.

Bringing in veterans for a look is what this team does :eek:

I hope the rest of the league never figures that out.

If you want to believe that this team was not "over loaded" at the RB position to start the year then nothing I say will change it.

The team was not "over loaded" at the RB position to start the year, as has already been proven by the time missed by them and by the injuries suffered. You do realize that the 3 'main' rbs all missed significant time last season, right? I mean, it doesn't come as a shock to you to learn that Morris ended up on the IR after playing less than half a season, Maroney didn't play a full season and Jordan hasn't played a full season in the past three years, right?

a lot of chatter about Maroney vs Morris, Jordan
why are they getting more production, while LoMo is a first round draft choice

to my eyes, the answer is obvious every week

1. Maroney is SUPER fast, and works well in space. Truly exciting.
2. Maroney gets jack****e in yards after contact (unless its a huge pile up and the whole line pushes him). He goes down easy. Just watch.
3. When the Pats get in a tight battle, the other RBs can blast thru first (or second) contact. They get more yards

Is LoMO underperforming as a Rd1 pick?

What exactly was "solved" and why couldn't this be incorporated into one of the 600 other Maroney threads?

What exactly was "solved" and why couldn't this be incorporated into one of the 600 other Maroney threads?

Give it up, Patjew. Logic and argument is a lost art in the Chad Jackson, Cassel, and Maroney debates. Blame the school system. Apparently, the new approach to argument is ignore counterpoints and facts if they do not support your case and restate your argument as frequently as possible as repetition breeds acceptance. You may criticize the approach at many levels, but it has the beauty of simplicity.

I remember seasons with, for example:

Dillon
Faulk
Evans
Cloud
Pass
w/ Zereoue brought in

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't we really looking at essentially the same amount of rbs on the roster?

Yeah but that year, Dillon was hurt basically all year, Faulk battled injuries...Pass went out for the year.

The team was not "over loaded" at the RB position to start the year, as has already been proven by the time missed by them and by the injuries suffered. You do realize that the 3 'main' rbs all missed significant time last season, right? I mean, it doesn't come as a shock to you to learn that Morris ended up on the IR after playing less than half a season, Maroney didn't play a full season and Jordan hasn't played a full season in the past three years, right?

Then we shall agree to disagree.

My thoughts exactly. No new insight. Just a rant.

Then we shall agree to disagree.

There's really nothing to disagree about:

Of the Roster of 53 in 05-07

05---three RBs THREE WEEKS four RBs NINE WEEKS five RBs SIX WEEKS
06---four RBs SIXTEEN WEEKS five RBs THREE WEEKS
07---four RBs FOURTEEN WEEKS five RBs FIVE WEEKS

In the 3 seasons prior to this one, the team's carried 4-5 running backs for all but 3 weeks, assuming Pats726 counted right. 4 Running backs has been the majority, but they've carried 5 rbs for 14 weeks during that stretch, including time before Maroney was even on the team. It's not that I'm saying the team loves Maroney, it's that I'm saying your assertion is invalid. The facts simply kill your argument.

Last edited:
Give it up, Patjew. Logic and argument is a lost art in the Chad Jackson, Cassel, and Maroney debates. Blame the school system. Apparently, the new approach to argument is ignore counterpoints and facts if they do not support your case and restate your argument as frequently as possible as repetition breeds acceptance. You may criticize the approach at many levels, but it has the beauty of simplicity.

I guess you're right.

I have also recently learned that all posters are either Homers, Trolls, or Chicken Littles.

I'm a Homer. ;)

Do you guys think a LoMo/Reggie Bush comparison might be fair?

Bush has had to find a new role since college. As Deion Sanders says (about Reggie), "he's not a running back, he's a playmaker."

Watching Bush scream those punts back to the house last night (man, that was just plain awesome to watch) I wondered if Maroney would be better used as a swiss army knife player on offense.

I mean, Ellis is amazing in the kick return game, but imagine Maroney with 5 yards to get up to speed...

Anyway, just something I was thinking about (probably sparked by the game last night and the older thread about using him along those lines).

I think the number of RB's on the team for 2008 speaks volumes about how Belichick feels about Maroney.
Maybe, but BB didn't sign Jordan last spring because he figured Maroney would be dancing now. BB's good, but he's not THAT good. Maroney was hitting the hole fine at the end of last year.

I think teh number of RBs on the team speaks volumes about how we were screwed in the last 3 playoffs because of injured RBs.

That said, Maroney needs to stop dancing. He's cheap salary right now, and he isn't going tobe cut like Jackson because at least Maroney is coachable from what I understand.

Either he will be coached out of dancing or he won't. I hope so, because when he hits the hole fast he is far and away our best RB.

You don't want to give up on that prematurely.

A...a bit distorting the facts there....please...
You are talking about 05... That was the season they starte with only THREE running backs. Dillon, Faulk and Pass. Faulk had a foot injury in game 3 amd it was right after that Zereoue was signed. Dillon and Pass both had injuries...and Z was cut after Game 7...It was then that Evans and Cloud were brought in. So...it is NOT AT ALL the SAME....There were many more injuries and the timing was not as you have said.
Yes, and it is all the RB injuries that makes it logical to carry 4 RBs, n'est pas?

Maybe, but BB didn't sign Jordan last spring because he figured Maroney would be dancing now. BB's good, but he's not THAT good. Maroney was hitting the hole fine at the end of last year.

I think teh number of RBs on the team speaks volumes about how we were screwed in the last 3 playoffs because of injured RBs.

That said, Maroney needs to stop dancing. He's cheap salary right now, and he isn't going tobe cut like Jackson because at least Maroney is coachable from what I understand.

Either he will be coached out of dancing or he won't. I hope so, because when he hits the hole fast he is far and away our best RB.

You don't want to give up on that prematurely.

BB knew that all his RBs had histories of injuries. He signed Jordan as insurance but yes while knowing that Jordan was available because he too had a history of being "made of glass". BB is a math guy and figured that another capable RB was simple injury risk mitigation. No insult to Maroney or to Morris who many here had being CUT because of the Jordan signing. Totally misreading BB's RB intent. Neither he nor I have given up on Maroney.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back