PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lombardi's FA WRs: Or if we replace Gaffney, with whom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tombonneau

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I'm ambivalent about possibly replacing Gaffney: on one hand, he has been a solid and dependable wide out for a few seasons; on the other, he had a streaky 2008 campaign where he made more big drops than big plays.

Here's Lombardi's list of FA WRs:

The National Football Post | Notes From Lombardi: Free Agent WRs

The link above has the detailed write-ups, but to facilitate discussion I posted just the list of available players below.

FIRST LEVEL

Name, team, age, height, weight, speed, year entered NFL, draft pos., agent

Antonio Bryant, Tampa Bay, 27; 6-1, 192; 4.61; 2002; 2nd round (63rd overall); Peter Schaffer

Nate Washington, Pittsburgh, 25; 6-0, 172; 4.47; 2005; free agent; Thomas Tafelski

SECOND LEVEL

T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Cincinnati, 31; 6-1, 197; 4.57; 2001; 7th round (204th overall); Kennard McGuire

Devery Henderson, New Orleans, 26; 5-11, 200; 4.45; 2004; 2nd round (50th overall); James Sexton

Bobby Engram, Seattle, 35; 5-9, 188; 4.68; 1996; 2nd round (52nd overall); Mitchell Frankel

Amani Toomer, NY Giants, 34; 6-3, 208; 4.49; 1996; 2nd round (34th overall); Justin Schulman

Bryant Johnson, San Francisco, 27; 6-2, 214; 4.52; 2003; 1st round (17th overall); Joel Segal

VERTICAL PLAYERS

Ashley Lelie, Oakland, 28; 6-3, 199; 4.46; 2002; 1st round (19th overall); Peter Schaffer

Terrance Copper, Baltimore, 26; 5-11, 204; 4.43; 2004; free agent; Ronald Del Duca —

Koren Robinson, Seattle, 28; 6-1, 205; 4.5; 2001; 1st round (9th overall); Alvin Keels —

Robert Ferguson, Minnesota, 28; 6-1, 210; 4.52; 2001; 2nd round (41st overall); Brian Overstreet

NICKEL ONLY ROLE ON THIRD DOWN OR IN KICKING GAME

Shaun McDonald, Detroit, 27; 5-8½, 183; 4.44; 2003; 4th round (106th overall); Jim Steiner

Dane Looker, St. Louis, 32; 5-11, 190; 4.74; 2000; free agent; Rick Smith

ONE YEAR, MIMINUM SALARY BENEFIT, SIGN LATE

Darrell Jackson, Denver, 29; 5-11, 201; 4.5; 2000; 3rd round (80th overall); Brian Mooney

Jabar Gaffney, New England, 27; 6-1, 193; 4.48; 2002; 2nd round (33rd overall); Drew Rosenhaus

Dante Hall, St. Louis, 30; 5-7, 187; 4.41; 2000; 5th round (153rd overall); Gary Uberstine

Brandon Jones, Tennessee, 26; 6-1, 210; 4.53; 2005; 3rd round (96th overall); Craig Domann

Brandon Lloyd, Chicago, 27; 6-1, 184; 4.55; 2003; 4th round (124th overall); Mark Humenik

Justin McCareins, Tennessee, 29; 6-1, 215; 4.55; 2001; 4th round (124th overall); Clifford Brady

Of these guys, the one I'm most intrigued with is Brandon Jones. He showed real flashes as a rookie, but injuries have so far have stunted his career. Hasn't helped that he's been in one of the worst passing offense in the league.

But he's just the type of bigger underneath RAC guy that would be a perfect complement to Moss.

Obviously, Housh on short money wouldn't be a bad option, but I think he'll probably squeeze one more big pay day out of someone.

Henderson is an interesting option and could possibly fill the big play Stallworth burner role of 08, though he's not a guy you can depend on for much else.

How will the patriots pay for any of those guys? With Cassel being paid 14.6 million the Pats have enough money to sign there draft and that is about it.

How will the patriots pay for any of those guys? With Cassel being paid 14.6 million the Pats have enough money to sign there draft and that is about it.

Cassel will be traded

Are you going to try hijacking every thread with the $14.6 million argument?

Last edited:
While I realize there is a significant six-year age difference, I still think I'd value TJ Houshmandzadeh above Nate Washington.

I don't see anybody on that list at a comparable price that would be worth bringing in to replace Gaffney with. If you tell me I have to replace Gaffney, I'd look at Shaun McDonald, Dane looker and Mike Furrey.

While I realize there is a significant six-year age difference, I still think I'd value TJ Houshmandzadeh above Nate Washington.

I don't see anybody on that list at a comparable price that would be worth bringing in to replace Gaffney with. If you tell me I have to replace Gaffney, I'd look at Shaun McDonald, Dane looker and Mike Furrey.
Paragraph 1: Yea, easily. Washington is not "group A" material, and will not get that much $$.

Paragraph 2: McDonald is good. Very consistent player.

Paragraph 1: Yea, easily. Washington is not "group A" material, and will not get that much $$.

Paragraph 2: McDonald is good. Very consistent player.

These are the two things that jumped out to me as well: Washington is not top tier; and, McDonald is not bottom tier.

As far as how to pay for them, I'm assuming we'd be most likely be looking at someone of the Gaffney Level, so cost should be essentially flat.

I personally am fine with Gaffney, but I know others think we could do with an upgrade. Wouldn't mind seeing someone like Henderson, Jones or even a (hopefully) healthy DJax come in and fight for the #3 WR spot.

TJ housemazillie, would be perfect, possesion type wide body, Wes sucks up the coverage Tj makes sure he gets open , chains move.

Even though he seems like a weird guy, TJ would be a great addition to the WR's. However, he is going to look for a big day, which he deserves. With that said, I would like to see Devery Henderson fill the Stallworth roll.

TJ housemazillie, would be perfect, possesion type wide body, Wes sucks up the coverage Tj makes sure he gets open , chains move.

I agree 100%..... He would be the perfect compliment for Moss & Welker.

How is TJ Whosyourmamma a 2nd tier group and Nate Washington a first tier. Yes, TJ is up there in age, but he had back to back 1,000 yard seasons in 2006 and 2007 and probably would have had another one this year if he didn't have a scrub QB from Harvard throwing to him for most of the year. Washington has never caught over 40 balls or 631 yards in a season.

Also, how is Gaffney's age a concern when he is currently 27 years old?

I think Brady likes Gaffney's skills a lot. My choice is TJ, but I don't we'll spend the money. I do think it makes sense though.

In a dream word TJ but no way that is happening lol..

I say we keep Gaffney, one bad season, we can let it go, gaffney might put up a great season again, maybe cassel and gaffney wasnt a good match, but brady and gaffney will be better.

I think gaffney's role could be replaced by picking up a good WR mid round in the draft, someone who is a quick learner, with good hands.

I'd be more interested in some of the potential cap cuts than most of the FA WR's. I find it curious that Lombardi lists Robert Ferguson as a "vertical player" when his speed is not his strong suit. Also, Koren Robinson's career might be over as he reportedly has bone on bone in his knee.

I'd be content with bringing back Gaffney and signing Donte Stallworth (rumored to be cut again) to an incentive laden deal.

I realize Gaffney beat out Stallworth to start late in '07, but Donte still was capable of providing some bigger plays and I'd like to have that option in '09 whether it's Donte or someone else.

Up until this year, I really liked Gaffney. I sensed he had a good chemistry with TB. However, clearly he wasn't the same guy this year. Whether that was due to Cassel being there rather than Brady, I don't know. The drop against Indy was only the most glaring of several big ones he had this year. With that said, I'm not ready to give up on him just yet. He seems to fit in, know his role and like it here. For the $$, he's fine with me for another year. Now, if next year is like this past one was, then I would feel it's time to move on.

Drafting a WR at 47 or 58 would be cheaper and a better talent than most of that list. No need to bring up Bethel or Chad because they're not draftable. I agree with those who would rather resign Gaffney. So, Gaffeny or a rookie (or both.) Juaquin Iglesias... there I said it.

As nice as I think it would be to have a more explosive player, I think Gaffney is fine for the Pats. Getting back Brady and as many of his current targets as possible seems like the right move. I'm worried that BB is going to have his hands full getting the new "OC" up to speed and trying to turn the defense into something playoff-worthy.

Ashley Lelie
Low cost, big reward player. I should imagine he wouldn't cost all too much.

He is a gifted athlete, with good hands. He hasn't had a good QB in years.

He sat out offseason workouts and minicamp with the broncos after they traded for Jevon walker. Then he was traded to atlanta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes