PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lombardi: The Pats played left handed against the Jags and will this Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be like Bill pulling Tom for two plays then bringing him back in in relation to giving Hightower the head set. I really think Hightower got yanked for short arming that tackle on the sideline. I can see why you think they were doing this I just don't agree. I think they were working guys in because of injuries and making changes because different players were not effective. So yes Martin got a shot but not because of an experiment.

Some of it had to do with injuries. Some wasn't. Some of the injured players were probably resting because it was the Jags and the Pats felt they could go with a far less than 100% squad.

Doing a lot of rotation on the o-line is never a good thing. You have to leave people in there for an entire series or two. You don't rotate them in and out like you do on the defensive side.

Maybe since Brady was under tons of pressure right off the bat, they didn't want to risk him getting killed.

So, I'll repeat my question: Why did they keep the starting OL in there all game?

If they didn't want to get Brady killed, they would have brought in the subs. We all saw that performance by the starters.

Mike Lombardi told WEEI today while on his weekly interview segment that watching the game film that he saw the Pats playing left handed. He saw no real gameplanning and the Pats playing vanilla on both sides of the ball. He thinks Belichick went into the game with the expressed decision to not give anything away.

Also, he expects the same thing this weekend since the Dolphins' DC comes from the Mike Zimmer coaching tree and the Pats are likely to face Zimmer's Bengals' defense in the first week of the playoffs.

One thing I noticed on last Sunday was the Pats were rotating in a lot of depth guys in on the defense as if Belichick wanted to get them all experience.

patsfans.com worries too much about what Bedard thinks and misses the real key from Sunday.....

Did BB look mad in the post game press conference?

Sunday was about playoff prep and getting a "W".

Fans and mediots fixate on style points.

So, I'll repeat my question: Why did they keep the starting OL in there all game?

If they didn't want to get Brady killed, they would have brought in the subs. We all saw that performance by the starters.

Again, because if the starting line struggled like they did, what would have happened if they put in the back ups?

Again, because if the starting line struggled like they did, what would have happened if they put in the back ups?

Maybe two Pats RB's with 100 yard games???????????????

Considering that Spikes, Talib, and Dennard were all out for the most part, I don't think you could've expected a much better performance from the D. I'm not saying they were great but you need to consider the personnel in that secondary and Jacksonville's offense as I said before is quite underrated ever since they finally put Gabbert on the bench where he belongs. I knew they'd be a problem for us but we definitely held them when it mattered.

Offense on the other hand, I wouldn't be suprised. They were terrible.

Last edited:
Maybe two Pats RB's with 100 yard games???????????????

That was one game. The last time Donald Thomas and Nick McDonald saw a lot of playing time, the results were far less effective.

Belichick seems to have directly contradicted Lombardi in his AM presser.

Last edited:
I like people talking good abut the pats but lombardi's ballwashing of BB and pats is sometimes embarrassing. But ,his son works for the pats so cant expect much objectivity from him.

Belichick seems to have directly contradicted Lombardi in his AM presser.

Whether Lombardi is right or not, I take everything Belichick says in press conferences with a huge grain of salt.

One thing Belichick will never admit to is not taking a game 100% seriously as any other game. I bet if you ask him today about the final game of 2005 that he wanted to win and he didn't tell Cassel to throw the two point conversion pass into the stands.

I have never and will never use anything Belichick says in a press conference as proof of anything. Lombardi could be wrong, but what Belichick said doesn't mean much to disprove it.

Lombardi is dead
He knows nothing about the 21st century Patriots team

I like people talking good abut the pats but lombardi's ballwashing of BB and pats is sometimes embarrassing. But ,his son works for the pats so cant expect much objectivity from him.

Lombardi is hit or miss on the Pats. Sometimes what he says is based on inside info and sometimes it is just ball washing. You just don't know when he is doing which. He may have been told the Pats played vanilla or he is saying it to make an excuse for them.

Lombardi is hit or miss on the Pats. Sometimes what he says is based on inside info and sometimes it is just ball washing. You just don't know when he is doing which. He may have been told the Pats played vanilla or he is saying it to make an excuse for them.

To be honest, I have never gotten anything tangible info before from him.

Whether Lombardi is right or not, I take everything Belichick says in press conferences with a huge grain of salt.

One thing Belichick will never admit to is not taking a game 100% seriously as any other game. I bet if you ask him today about the final game of 2005 that he wanted to win and he didn't tell Cassel to throw the two point conversion pass into the stands.

I have never and will never use anything Belichick says in a press conference as proof of anything. Lombardi could be wrong, but what Belichick said doesn't mean much to disprove it.

The only time you can get a real indication of what he thinks is his demeanor at the post game press conference. If Sunday was prepped as an all out route; he would have been fuming at the press conference.

Having reviewed the stats, watched the press conference, then the game on "rewind", it's pretty obvious that team health and getting ready for the playoffs was an important factor and he was satisfied with coming away with the "W".

Reiss has continued this general theme in this week's reporting.

That also doesn't mean group hugs would be administered this week during practice and some serious humble pie left on the shelves.

patsfans.com worries too much about what Bedard thinks and misses the real key from Sunday.....

Did BB look mad in the post game press conference?

Sunday was about playoff prep and getting a "W".

Fans and mediots fixate on style points.

How have you been patsfaninpittsburgh? You know your life sucks when you have to sneak back into a forum that banned you for being a troll.

Last edited:
Considering that Spikes, Talib, and Dennard were all out for the most part, I don't think you could've expected a much better performance from the D. I'm not saying they were great but you need to consider the personnel in that secondary and Jacksonville's offense as I said before is quite underrated ever since they finally put Gabbert on the bench where he belongs. I knew they'd be a problem for us but we definitely held them when it mattered.

Offense on the other hand, I wouldn't be suprised. They were terrible.

The Jags had 202 yards in Q1 and scored the 13th point early in Q2.

As BB said, in the press conference, the team expected one thing...got another and made adjustments.

The final three quarters equate to 60 minutes a 310 yards/5 points and three turnovers.

Since Solomon Willcots did the game and never learned anything from the Oakland game last year, it's understandable, some the hyperbole in the overall analysis.

They miscalculated what Jacksonville was going to bring, admitted as much in the post game,
That seems accurate but I think Lombardi may have revealed the secondary layer of issues that day (going vanilla with both corners on the bench).

We didn't play left-handed, we played lousy. I attribute it to injuries, being exhausted from two previous "big" games and probably some thinking that the Jags were going to be jags and lie down (not on the part of BB, but on the part of the players). Even our vanilla should have been superior to their vanilla, if that's what it was. Luckily we won.

Sorry, I don't buy that BB is willing to sacrifice the last two regular season games, which might mean a better place in the standings, just to "hide" whatever we are going to do in the post-season.

Not sure I entirely buy the vanilla or sitting guys argument; but if anyone is going to try and squeeze every last POTENTIAL THEORETICAL advantage out of a bad situation it is BB.

Personally, from a theoretical standpoint; I would think that your entire team would get more rest if when you are playing an end of season game (last 2-3 weeks) versus lost-cause teams; you make a statement in Q1 & put the game out of reach (mentally defeating the other team) and then coast the rest of the way (Q2-4). (second half of Houston game was case in point-Houston actually was running down the clock for us just to get out of dodge).

But in the real world; picking 3 different guys (on O & D) to rest in each of the last 3 games probably is the only way to get a simulated-bye week for everyone if you are going to have to play in WC round. (due to the 45 active roster limit & injury situation dictating who can play-who has to rest).

And since most teams tend to scout & FOCUSING their game-prep by looking PRIMARILY at LAST THREE WEEKS of tape; playing vanilla could give you some surprise effects in WC/ div rounds. But guys like TB say they look at an entire season of tape; and the other teams that make post-season are more likely to be full of guys like PM and TB or Ed Reed who will not just take what coaches give them or just most recent stuff. So I think effect is potentially very minimal - especially since NE is a game-plan offense; changing with the opponent.

We didn't play left-handed, we played lousy. I attribute it to injuries, being exhausted from two previous "big" games and probably some thinking that the Jags were going to be jags and lie down (not on the part of BB, but on the part of the players). Even our vanilla should have been superior to their vanilla, if that's what it was. Luckily we won.

Sorry, I don't buy that BB is willing to sacrifice the last two regular season games, which might mean a better place in the standings, just to "hide" whatever we are going to do in the post-season.

Like that would work after one playoff game when the "Master Plan" is revealed for all to see

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots