PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lombardi: Seymour's not looking for a contract, he's just pissed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSn

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I thought this clear point warranted a thread. Maybe I'm wrong, but ah well.

Diner morning news: Random thoughts | National Football Post

Excerpt:

I’m told reliably that Richard Seymour isn’t looking for a long-term contract from the Raiders, that in fact his absence centers solely on his unhappiness with the trade. The comments from coach Tom Cable are really irrelevant since the trade papers have been signed and approved by the league office. He counts on the Raiders’ 53-man roster, so how does Seymour need to clear things up with the Patriots? All that remains is for Seymour to show up and pass his physical. There’s nothing left for the Patriots to do regarding Seymour because he’s now the property of the Raiders, so many NFL observers were left shaking their heads after hearing Cable’s comments.

Last edited:
Wow! The Raiders were really stupid enough to sign off on the trade before a physical or Seymour reporting to camp. Bill should offer to take Seymour back for a seventh round pick. The Raiders really are the worst run organization in sports. You never complete a trade until you know that the player is actually going to honor the trade.

Ironic for a guy who held out, talked about "the business" and generally seemed like he was in NE to do a job and nothing more. Be careful what you wish for.

Never mind only being pissed about being traded to the Raiders. He just moved into a new mcmansion and his kids started school yesterday. I'd be pissed too.

He and his wife need to make some pretty big decisions very quickly. I'd assume he'll have to leave the family behind and is just using every one of the five days to take care of business at home.

What I don't get is that I've read that he knew this would be his last year with the team and he expected something might happen.

Maybe his being "pissed" is because he's going to a, well, horrible franchise? If he was dealt to a contending team would that of made a difference?

Maybe his being "pissed" is because he's going to a, well, horrible franchise? If he was dealt to a contending team would that of made a difference?

I would think so. Also, there are a LOT of teams closer by than Oakland.

Never mind only being pissed about being traded to the Raiders. He just moved into a new mcmansion and his kids started school yesterday. I'd be pissed too.

He and his wife need to make some pretty big decisions very quickly. I'd assume he'll have to leave the family behind and is just using every one of the five days to take care of business at home.

I don't get this. Why did he purchase the big home? He knew he and his family were out of here THIS school year no matter what. There is no basis for him to be pissed about having to move his family. That was going to happen one way or another.

ironic for a guy who held out, talked about "the business" and generally seemed like he was in ne to do a job and nothing more. Be careful what you wish for.

+1000.

Wow, he has to move his family from Mass. to Calif. I can't imagine such a life-altering change.

Wow, he has to move his family from Mass. to Calif. I can't imagine such a life-altering change.

Yes, the cultural differences are mind-blowing.

I thought this clear point warranted a thread. Maybe I'm wrong, but ah well.

Diner morning news: Random thoughts | National Football Post

Excerpt:

LOL

Richard is really between a rock and a hard place. No one in their right mind wants to go from here to there... But he apparently over leveraged himself along the way with the help of friends and advisors like Borges...and reality has floored him.

Unless you're only about the money, and I don't think he is, there is no way you want a long term deal from the Hotel staff. And at 30 you don't want to be stuck there for two years battling over a tag. But there is no way Oakland can justify the deal if they waive it.

All he ever really needed to do was say he was willing to sacrifice a little something to remain with this organization (which I genuinely believe he wanted to and maybe on some level was still convinced he would because they would see the light...) and I guarantee you he would have been able to provided he showed up to play as consistently as the QB does. But he had to equate respect with every last $$$ and remind them of that on multiple occasions.

What's that saying of Tom's, what's another million at their level after taxes all else considered...like playing for a well run, exceptionally coached, perennial contender with all your friends and outstanding teamates and your new mini mansion and your kids happily ensconsed in their schools... Life is all about choices.

BTW the oldest is probably just starting first grade...kids are resiliant. As PJ can attest, he's lucky the NFL doesn't yet have a francise in China or the logistics and upheaval could be exponentially more diffcult...

Yeah that would be worse than moving your family from RI to lets say ah........China :rolleyes:

Last edited:
In Bill's presser he semi-faintly touched on it. I couldn't hear the question, but it was along the lines of "would he come back to the team if the trade falls through" and after re-iterating he was worried about Buffalo, he said "if that happens, we'll deal with it then"

Imagine if the end result was the nullification of the trade an RS signing a long-term, lower dollar deal with NE!

I think there's too much pride for that to happen, but I'm firmly convinced after this off-season that ANYTHING is possible.

I hear Oakland is a nice place to raise your kids.

I hear Oakland is a nice place to raise your kids.

If you want them to turn out like these guys:

gorillarillafans55.jpg

Last edited:
I don't get this. Why did he purchase the big home? He knew he and his family were out of here THIS school year no matter what. There is no basis for him to be pissed about having to move his family. That was going to happen one way or another.
This all doesn't fit together..why purchase a large home KNOWING that you would be moving on?? It's all about the business and he's stated that time and again..wanting to go for the green...and certainly that his right to do so..BUT..know that business can bite back..and there is NOTHING WRONG with that at all..just stating what he's said..it's a business. I undesrtand he's pissed about going to Oakland and having to move and all that BUT...did he think the Pats were going to give in when the reality he presented was to take them to the bank? I really doubt the team would have traded him if he had given ANY indication of working out a deal. I think the door was closed..the team knew it, he knew it and he's REALLY surprised they did it!! Wake up..a new sheriif is in town!!

What I don't get is that I've read that he knew this would be his last year with the team and he expected something might happen.

Seymour never impressed upon me that he cared about anything but the money

i put the blame on this on Seymour and guys like him who only care for money. the money he was making here in NE was a lot. He wanted a big pay day like Haynesworth and should have know that the pats wouldn't keep him around if he wanted that kind of dough. pats did what was best for the pats. no one seems to want to be a team player anymore and it bothers me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey