PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lombardi on Seymour trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
You must have been a joy to be around the day Milloy got cut.

At least this time, the Patriots are actually going to get something.

And, yes, they are STILL the favorites to win the Super Bowl this year.

And now you toss out irrelevancies.

And you keep ignoring the point of my posts. How cute!

Please, elucidate what the point of your posts have been on this subject.

Are you kidding???????

The BRUINS???????

You're comparing Jeremy Jacobs to Bob Kraft in the brains department????????

Thanks for the entertainment!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh geez, Deus, I guess since Jeremy Jacobs (or whoever the "genius" is on Causeway street who turned the Boston Bruins from the #1 most beloved team in Boston into an organization that garners a little more interest than the Northeastern Huskies football team) got singed, then Kraft doesn't have a chance!!!! :D :D :D

Thanks for that!!!!

Way to ignore the point, yet again.

But, since I'm sure that BB and company have never erred, I'm sure you must be correct.

Keep chugging!

Last edited:
Please, elucidate what the point of your posts have been on this subject.

The reading comprehension should be pretty easy for someone who's able to read Belichick's mind.

I don't know why it so difficult for some of the fans here to understand: rookie pay scale change or not, the deal falls heavily in the Pats' favor. Seymour doesn't show up for every game and we have great depth on the DL. He is unhappy with his contract and there's little chance that he would stay on the team for next year. He is injury prone, and it's tough to get a full healthy season out of him. He is still a good player, but likely not worth his money demands.

Are you getting too attached to a player, Deus? Remember, it's the sum over the individual parts. It's the team; not the players. Players come and go; and they come and go more than they ever did before. No need to fall in love with any player. They are all expendable if their price goes up beyond their contributions. Now if they play at a much needed position, then we can overpay them for a year or two. I don't think that Seymour's position was one of drastic importance to the team. I'm sweet with the deal; and am now concerned that Seymour will try to torpedo it by not showing up. That would suck. It would negate a huge steal on the behalf of the Patriots.

Way to ignore the point, yet again.

But, since I'm sure that BB and company have never erred, I'm sure you must be correct.

Keep chugging!

Of course he's erred.

You compared him to the people running the Boston Bruins franchise for the past 35 years.

Disconnect.

I don't know why it so difficult for some of the fans here to understand: rookie pay scale change or not, the deal falls heavily in the Pats' favor. Seymour doesn't show up for every game and we have great depth on the DL. He is unhappy with his contract and there's little chance that he would stay on the team for next year. He is injury prone, and it's tough to get a full healthy season out of him. He is still a good player, but likely not worth his money demands.

Are you getting too attached to a player, Deus? Remember, it's the sum over the individual parts. It's the team; not the players. Players come and go; and they come and go more than they ever did before. No need to fall in love with any player. They are all expendable if their price goes up beyond their contributions. Now if they play at a much needed position, then we can overpay them for a year or two. I don't think that Seymour's position was one of drastic importance to the team. I'm sweet with the deal; and am now concerned that Seymour will try to torpedo it by not showing up. That would suck. It would negate a huge steal on the behalf of the Patriots.

Deus just doesn't agree with the way the Patriots run their franchise.

It's not only about Seymour.

A first round pick for Deion Branch was a steal, right? In till you find out that your recivers are awful, and you draft Brandon Meriweather, who is at best an average safety.

I'm just saying, you can't say it's a huge steal because they could draft a huge bust with it.

Of course he's erred.

You compared him to the people running the Boston Bruins franchise for the past 35 years.

Disconnect.

Have the same people been in the front office for all 35 years? No.

Is this the same front office that's been running the Patriots during this run? No.

Did a team try to anticipate the ins and out of a complicated salary system and err? Yes.

Could that same thing happen very easily to the Patriots, or any other NFL team that tries to anticipate the precise outcome of negotiations between the owners and the NFLPA, and also the precise language that will be put in the CBA IF it's worked out and ratified by the time of the draft in 2011?

Yes.

There's no disconnect on my part.

Last edited:
Deus just doesn't agree with the way the Patriots run their franchise.

It's not only about Seymour.

Unless you've never disagreed with a single move by this franchise under Belichick, this was a ridiculous post for you to make.

A first round pick for Deion Branch was a steal, right? In till you find out that your recivers are awful, and you draft Brandon Meriweather, who is at best an average safety.

I'm just saying, you can't say it's a huge steal because they could draft a huge bust with it.
The problem there is that the Pats did not find a replacement for Meion, but arguably they could have if they were willing to take some risks, either financially or with trades. Jury is still out on Meriweather. I think he will be a good to great player. It takes a few years to develop safeties.

Have the same people been in the front office for all 35 years? No.

Is this the same front office that's been running the Patriots during this run? No.

O-W-N-E-R-S-H-I-P.

Kraft will be negotiating the CBA.

Front office means the brains of the operation in total.

But keep comparing ANY level of the Pats to the Bruins!

Meriweather's already above-average, and he's getting better. And the Branch situation was a little different, since he wasn't reporting if they didn't trade him. If it comes out that the same was true for Seymour (that he wasn't willing to play out 2009 under his current contract), then I will become a supporter of the trade *very* quickly.

Last edited:
O-W-N-E-R-S-H-I-P.

Kraft will be negotiating the CBA.

Front office means the brains of the operation in total.

But keep comparing ANY level of the Pats to the Bruins!

I will, because I'm capable of understanding the similarities that you seem blind to. Keep chugging that Koolaid!

Last edited:
Unless you've never disagreed with a single move by this franchise under Belichick, this was a ridiculous post for you to make.

Of course I've disagreed.

You however, are far more consistent and dependable as a contrarian on this forum.

It doesn't even matter what the subject is.

I would respect this if you give us actual FACTS to back your arguments up.

Of course I've disagreed.

You however, are far more consistent and dependable as a contrarian on this forum.

That's not true at all. If you're so intent on derailing the thread, at least do it without resorting to obvious hyperbole since you can't actually argue your position.

Last edited:
I think it is important to question deals made by the organization, but it sure is hard to argue their tremendous track record, especially when it comes to letting go big names (Milloy, Bledsoe, Law, Graham, and now Vrabel and Seymour.) Looking at this coldly, I'd have to say that the best player we've let go is Asante Samuel (taking into account injuries and where they stand at this point in their careers.) But I just can't imagine why so many of us would doubt that the Pats have ripped off Oakland in a major way with this deal.

I will, because I'm capable of understanding the similarities that you seem blind to. Keep chugging that Koolaid!

OK, keep equating the Bruins front office/ownership with the Patriots front office/ownership.

Best regards from the Planet Earth.

Last edited:
OK, keep equating the Bruins front office/ownership with the Patriots front office/ownership.

Best regards from the Planet Earth.

I'm not equating them, I'm pointing out a negative outcome that happened under similar circumstances. Since you can't seem to discuss this rationally, and have to pull that "contrarian" nonsense when I was one of the very few completely backing BB during 'spygate' and have been one of the minority defending the team's use/treatment of Maroney, Cassel and others, we're done here.

would the loss of sey this year materially affect the DL play, materially impair the chance for a SB run? Some people prefer the conservative approach; Bill is a risk taker/gambler. If they end up winning a SB this year without Sey, I say brillant trade. If weak DL play costs them in playoff, I say terrible trade.

There is opportunity cost of missing a key defensive cog during Brady/Moss's prime. We were not forced into this trade as with Branch. We chose to do this.

Then the pick, would it work out? how high are the chances of a miss? Would we be better off extending Sey (a sure thing) than trying our luck. What if we get a bust (like Chad jackson) or an average player (say like Maroney)? You can't fully evaluate the trade until 3-4 years down the road.

The one sure thing is the opportunity cost is real.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back