PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lombardi on Cassel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I predict the best scenario for Matt Cassel would be Philadelphia. McNabb is done there. I wouldn't be surprised if Reid is gone there too which would open the door for Josh McDaniels. All the other teams in need of coaches and a good QB are in really bad situations and long term projects. Philly on the other hand is very competitive and a few years removed from the playoffs. Cleveland could be the other option but I think Cowher will end up there and Brady Quinn will be the QB for years to come.
Philly has no choice but to go with Kolb who they took in the first round two years ago.

I am not so sure on that.

Andy Reid drafted Kolb and he would have to go with him. McDaniels wouldn't need that.

Personally, the only scenario I would accept trading TB would be to Philly.

It would be great to stick it to the "pigskin pundits" if TB went there and lit up the NFC East and won a SB with their existing players.

Maybe we could finally shut up the McNabb ball washers once and for all time!!!!!

I am not so sure on that.

Andy Reid drafted Kolb and he would have to go with him. McDaniels wouldn't need that.
I guess you're right if Reid is gone but I can't see trading for Cassel just two years after drafting Kolb so high unless Kolb gets enough playing time this year to look like a bust.

I hate being wrong :)

I guess he was only 4 picks ahead of John Beck and they've already moved on with Pennington and Henne.

Ah yes, Beck....

Last edited:
I agree. If Kolb is a bust, all bets are off.

However, a new coach doesn't have the baggage of the draft. If the Eagles were to make a move, I am not sure what the best path would be.

What is the best trade route? An over the hill McNabb or an on the block McNabb with Kolb as a bust.

Looks like MC is an upgrade for at least 90% of the teams in the NFL.What was the rate for D.Anderson last year,a first and a third rounder? Come to poppa ...looks like some good draft picks are going to be dropping in the Pats lap! Good for MC,also,he's worked hard,nice to see him getting his due.Backup no longer...

What was the rate for D.Anderson last year,a first and a third rounder?
Yeah, Dallas offered that to Cleveland last year but Phil Savage out thought himself and realized Dallas was going to trade Anderson to Baltimore so Savage said no.

:eek:

Yeah, Dallas offered that to Cleveland last year but Phil Savage out thought himself and realized Dallas was going to trade Anderson to Baltimore so Savage said no.

arent you same persom who tohought a 2nd rounder and a 7 th was way to much compensation for welker,,, brilliant belichick fan your wrong again

Could he have put a clause in the deal similar to what the Yankees do (the player cannot be traded to the Red Sox).

They can't keep Cassel on the final 53 man roster. The odds are very good that Brady will be back at 100% for the start of the season. I know the media is making it out to be a doomsday scenario, but even with the infection Brady has plenty of time to return. You cannot have a $14 million insurance policy on the roster.

They will only franchise Cassel to trade him. They won't franchise him to keep him on the roster.

Why NOT? Because you say so? :idontgetit:

Kraft says he will always spend to the limit, without betting it all on a one year fling. Cassel happens to fit in 2009's CAP, with that restriction. See Miguel's projections. I can't think of a better FA I'd rather have, given the key nature of QBs.

Last edited:
Could he have put a clause in the deal similar to what the Yankees do (the player cannot be traded to the Red Sox).

AFAIK, such clauses are allowed in at least some forms--e.g., when the Packers traded Lord Favre to the JEST, they added a clause that if the JEST traded him to any AFC North team, they would owe the Packers three first-round picks.

In what rational universe does Cassel sign to be a backup in New England when other teams will pay him the same (or more) money to actually be a starter?

In a Universe where the 32 year old Star has a bad leg, outside interests, and might play for only another year or two. And who might never be the same, even now.

If you had the chance to become the starter on a genuine, annual Super bowl contender, that looked to be getting younger, and stronger, would you compete to take that job?

Or would you accept a guaranteed playing now for rebuilding, always rebuilding, Detroit? :confused:

Guys, the situation with Cassel is really pretty simple. They CAN'T let him go, for two reasons. One is that they don't know if or when Brady is going to recover. Two is that he has too much value. ...
Two is right, but one is wrong. Just because we don't know if or when Brady is going to recover doesn't mean they don't. Don't you think they have doctors seeing him and reporting to the team at least once every week or two? He is their most valuable player asset; you can be darn sure they are keeping very close tabs on him. Don't confuse what we know with what they know. And even if they don't know for sure now, they certainly will be March 1st, or whenever the deadline to franchise is.

Why NOT? Because you say so? :idontgetit:

Kraft says he will always spend to the limit, without betting it all on a one year fling. Cassel happens to fit in 2009's CAP, with that restriction. See Miguel's projections. I can't think of a better FA I'd rather have, given the key nature of QBs.

Why in the world are you responding to messages over a MONTH OLD as if they were current, in a formerly-dead thread? There are plenty of newer active threads with updated viewpoints as events have transpired. Or have you been under a rock since Thanksgiving?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing