PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lombardi on Cassel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put this statement with the one that Brady will be 100% next season.
I wouldn't make either assumption, and sure wouldn't base my reasoning on it.

You speak true. That is indeed the voice of wisdom.

BB is the master of situational football, and this situation is no different than a problem he might encounter on the field. It's ALWAYS better to have options.

Put this statement with the one that Brady will be 100% next season.
I wouldn't make either assumption, and sure wouldn't base my reasoning on it.

Except there is historical evidence that Brady will be back at 100% in 2009. Philip Rivers had his ACL replaced at the end of January and came back better than ever. Carson Palmer tore the same ligaments as Brady, but also had a dislocated knee and torn cartlige in the playoffs and came back the following season from day one and had a near career year. It is far more likely that Brady will be back and at 100% than Cassel being on this team.

In fact, assuming the infection is gone as stated it is or at least close to and they don't have to do the ACL surgery over, the odds of Brady being ready for minicamp is probably greater than him missing any time next season.

There is no scenario in which Cassel plays a snap for the Pats next season. I'd say right now, it's probably something like 80-20 that they tag and trade him. The 20% being that they just let him walk b/c they don't see trade suitors within the appropriate time window.

A scenario in which Cassel plays for the Patriots next season:

Sometime between now and when the franchise tag is allowed to be slapped on Cassel, particularly right before the tag is to be applied, Brady's surgery takes a turn for the worse and it has to be completely re-done.

A scenario in which Cassel plays for the Patriots next season:

Sometime between now and when the franchise tag is allowed to be slapped on Cassel, particularly right before the tag is to be applied, Brady's surgery takes a turn for the worse and it has to be completely re-done.

Even then, do you think we tie up 28 milli in cap space in QBs? I view the tagging of Cassel as a temporary measure - under pretty much all circumstances. And by next September, the team might feel O'Connell can step in and perform to almost a similar level as Cassel is now.

Besides, 6 weeks have passed since Brady began the anti-biotic treatment at this point, and he hasn't gotten a new surgery. Unless we hear something in the next couple weeks - Brady will be back on track.

Tanked as usual lists the teams that have QB "issues".

In the end, everyone's opinion for disposition requires a team that can fit the scenario.

Personally, I think a franchise tag could be viable for a deal with Tampa, Minnesota, or Tennessee. I don't think it would work for a Detroit or Kansas City.

fascinating problem to have, isn't it?

do the Pats let Cassel walk and sign with the Phins and Fatty? Curtis Martin Redux?

keep him and pressure the cap?

this is going to be one helluva offseason

make the playoffs, franchise and trade him

dont make the playoffs, send him on his way.

I should know this, but: can they franchise him and then release him later without significant penalty if they change their mind? If he IS franchised, are they locked into paying him guaranteed money regardless?

I should know this, but: can they franchise him and then release him later without significant penalty if they change their mind? If he IS franchised, are they locked into paying him guaranteed money regardless?
Once he signs the offer it's guaranteed, either by the Patriots or whoever trades for him.

I imagine we are, but I'm not well versed in this so I'm asking. Are we allowed to pay some of his contract like they do in Baseball? Could we like franchise him and then trade him to a team and pick up some of his salary? Because if so I see that option as being the most likely, I mean if we could trade him and not pay of course we'd do that but his franchise amount might be a bit more than a team would be willing to pay.

I mean if we could trade him and not pay of course we'd do that but his franchise amount might be a bit more than a team would be willing to pay.

No it is not. Guys far worse than he and with FAR less NFL games on their resume commanded big #s.

He'll get a huge signing bonus plus a strong escallating salary in a package worth several times the $14M franchise number.

No it is not. Guys far worse than he and with FAR less NFL games on their resume commanded big #s.

He'll get a huge signing bonus plus a strong escallating salary in a package worth several times the $14M franchise number.
We've been over this time and time again, I don't think it's worth replying to anymore :)

Cassel will get the money and a team will trade for the right to pay it unless he tanks the rest of the way. We're sitting on a pot of gold if he can just keep it up the rest of the way.

this is turning into an amazingly great situation for us. there is no question he will be on our team or traded for a good amount. i would think that if there was no cap, we would give him a nice contract, but since there is, i think its going to be a franchise and trade deal. sucks you cant use 2 QBs at a time

I imagine we are, but I'm not well versed in this so I'm asking. Are we allowed to pay some of his contract like they do in Baseball? Could we like franchise him and then trade him to a team and pick up some of his salary? Because if so I see that option as being the most likely, I mean if we could trade him and not pay of course we'd do that but his franchise amount might be a bit more than a team would be willing to pay.

I believe the short answer to this is "no"; that's what the signing bonuses are for.

I forgot one thing :

Forget the dumb arguments about "the new team having to give him a new contract" - all trades like this have that disclaimer from Schaub to Anderson.

Don't forget Scott Mitchell, when he backed up Marino.

I predict the best scenario for Matt Cassel would be Philadelphia. McNabb is done there. I wouldn't be surprised if Reid is gone there too which would open the door for Josh McDaniels. All the other teams in need of coaches and a good QB are in really bad situations and long term projects. Philly on the other hand is very competitive and a few years removed from the playoffs. Cleveland could be the other option but I think Cowher will end up there and Brady Quinn will be the QB for years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back