PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lombardi Nuggets

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
The National Football Post | National Football Post Tavern Talk

Patriots: fourth 40-point game this season, tying last year’s franchise single-season record; the 40-point margin of victory is their sixth largest in franchise history. Patriots out-rushed Cardinals 183-44; Cardinals were held to under 100 rush yards for seventh straight game. Patriots: 460 rush yards in last 2 games. Patriots: 514 total yards (third game this season with 500+ yards, franchise single-season record). Patriots: won 11 straight games in December (23-2 in December since 2003). Patriots: won 15 consecutive regular-season games vs. NFC.

5. This has to be one of the best coaching jobs in Bill Belichick’s career. Winning 10 games with all those injuries is just amazing. And what the Pats have done with Matt Cassel has the rest of the NFL jealous.

6. The Jets have to wonder what more they can do to beat the Pats. Not having Tom Brady and spending $160 million to repair their own team was not enough to overtake the Pats. The Jets are going to have an interesting off-season.

5 - Imagine the NFL's jealousy when we trade Cassel for something good when we already have 1,2,2,3,3 (including Samuel comp pick).

6 - Jets are screwed. When Favre retires they have Kellen Clemens and a new QB search.

5 - Imagine the NFL's jealousy when we trade Cassel for something good when we already have 1,2,2,3,3 (including Samuel comp pick).

6 - Jets are screwed. When Favre retires they have Kellen Clemens and a new QB search.

I doubt we have that much, but we're still looking decent going into the draft. Lets root for Denver next week!

I doubt we have that much, but we're still looking decent going into the draft.
Sure we have that much.

We have our own 1,2,3. We have SD's 2. We'll get a comp pick 3 for Samuel. That's 1,2,2,3,3. And that's without getting anything for Cassel.

When you put it this way, pretty incredible... just imagine if we get a 2 in 10 & 11, for Cassell.. that is a lot of building blocks..

A healthy Brady and all those picks - Yikes, this team is looking to be scary good over the next 3-4 years, and then a force for a long time.

Not to mention whatever off season transactions they work this year.

Sure we have that much.

We have our own 1,2,3. We have SD's 2. We'll get a comp pick 3 for Samuel. That's 1,2,2,3,3. And that's without getting anything for Cassel.

Thinking about San Deigo's #2. We gotta be huge Broncos fans this weekend. There is going to be a HUGE difference in where that second round pick will be from if they are 7-9 and out of the playoffs and 8-8 and the AFC East Champions. Depending on who wins next weekend, it could be as low as the 11th pick in the second round if the Chargers lose.

Thats right, I have to be a Bronco's fan as well as a Jets fan this week. Sunday is really going to suck :(

I'm still learning the "game" since I didn't grow up with football.. What will the Pats most likely do with their draft picks?

Thinking about San Deigo's #2. We gotta be huge Broncos fans this weekend. There is going to be a HUGE difference in where that second round pick will be from if they are 7-9 and out of the playoffs and 8-8 and the AFC East Champions. Depending on who wins next weekend, it could be as low as the 11th pick in the second round if the Chargers lose.

How badly do the Pats, JEST, and LOLphins all have to play for the Chargers to win the division? :p

Seriously, though, if the Chargers make the playoffs, they drop from the 7-9 tier to the bottom of the 8-8 tier, NOT to 21st overall. Unless they make the Super Bowl, they will pick before every team that finishes 9-7 or better.

I'm still learning the "game" since I didn't grow up with football.. What will the Pats most likely do with their draft picks?

If they were the Redskins, they'd trade them for magic beans. :)

Seriously, though, the most likely scenario is that they'll trade at least one of them into 2010, unless they can get a good package of picks in 2010 for Cassel. Most of the rest will probably go to shoring up the defense, with a couple of picks on offense. Kinda like this year. :)

Actually there isn't THAT much of a drop as making the playoffs doesn't affect the draft position unless you make the SB :

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/46892-rules-draft-order-seeding.html

Looking at the current order :

Great Blue North Draft Report

It looks like the pick will be between 11th and 17th. So it would help but not THAT much. I think I'm rooting for SD to be honest. I think they're the better team and at least it's a team in the playoffs that beat us as opposed to another that we pummeled but still made it in. Also SD has a better chance to beat Indy than Denver does.

Seriously, though, if the Chargers make the playoffs, they drop from the 7-9 tier to the bottom of the 8-8 tier.

I believe the rules for determining draft order only apply to the first round. After round one, the order changes. That makes it even harder to figure out where that #2 will be.

Come by the Draft Forum and observe the family feud. :D

I believe the rules for determining draft order only apply to the first round. After round one, the order changes. That makes it even harder to figure out where that #2 will be.

Your first two statements are correct, the third is not.

Simply put--all teams tied at a given record form a "band" (the NFL's term). Within each band, the team that had the first pick in round 1 has the last pick in round 2, and every other team moves up one slot. Continue the cycle for the remaining rounds. So if it's, say, BUF-HOU-SD in round 1, it's HOU-SD-BUF in round 2, SD-BUF-HOU in round 3, etc.

So, right now, the Pats have pick #44.

Last edited:

If I'm reading it correctly. As long as the Chargers don't make it to the Super Bowl, the pick likely will be anywhere from the 11th to the 17th in the second round or 43rd-49th overall.........

If I'm reading it correctly. As long as the Chargers don't make it to the Super Bowl, the pick likely will be anywhere from the 11th to the 17th in the second round or 43rd-49th overall.........
Right and it will likely be the second last pick within the tied group as SD has a strong SoS which would put it last in it's first round group and second last in it's second round group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes