PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lombardi: Jets to release Faneca, Ellis, and Bryan Thomas after draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe this rumor. I can see Thomas getting cut. He is nothing special and if they get Jason Taylor, he is not all that neccessary. Faneca maybe just because of his age and price tag. But I don't see Ellis getting cut. He was second on the team in sacks last year and most consistent d-lineman. He isn't that old (33 in June) and his base salary is only $3.35 million.

I think if all three of these guys are gone after the draft, the gains they may have gotten with their additions may be wiped away. I think only Thomas at this point (assuming they acquire Jason Taylor) is the only guy they can really afford to lose at this point. I agree with the sentiments that Ferguson (who I think is way overrated) benefitted greatly from Faneca. The d-line is already an era of need for the Jets and they are going to give up their best d-lineman from last year?

BTW, if this rumor is true, this is why it is premature to dump on the Pats for their activity for the offseason. The Jets are looking to dump several guys who can be solid contributors for a year or two at low money. If they are going to do it, I am sure there are several other teams looking to do the same.

Someone said Jonathan Kraft said in an interview that the Pats expect a lot of quality players to be available after the draft in free agency, if this rumor is true it supports that theory.

Re: Lombardi:Jets to Waive Faneca, Ellis, & Thomas after draft

===============================================

Maybe I am wrong, I suppose they could trade Ellis are
Thomas, Fanneca has a large salary that could prevent a trade.

I can't believe they would waive 3 1st round starters. IMHO

Ellis -> Dunlap at pick #29
Thomas -> Taylor, once he realizes Miami and NE don't want him
Faneca -> Slauson, who I've heard the Jets really like

Hate to say it, but these would be pretty smart moves. This was Ellis' last year anyway. Thomas doesn't seem like one of Rexy's guys. Faneca is entering the "funny money" stage of his contract and while they could re-sign him for less...I'm wondering if they want to move on.

Given the likely state of the next CBA, they were going to have to go this route anyway. Starting now in a controlled way is better than a forced purge later.

Why would they release Thomas and Ellis over Gholston? You can't use the salary cap excuse in an uncapped year.

Because it's not about cap it's about cash. And because of his guaranteed money they are going to pay for him this season whether he's on the roster or not because he hasn't gotten all his guaranteed $$$ yet. And the cap doesn't accelerate in an uncapped season. Ergo his cap hits for already amortized or still guaranteed money remain on the JETS books awaiting the anticipated return of the capped league...in 2011 and beyond.

Everyone else on the list is just salary I presume. If you don't think they're worth it you don't have to pay them. Of course as is the case with AD, if you don't think they're worth it most other teams won't either so it's hard to trade 'em unless they cooperate with restructures to go where you want them to. Most times guys would rather start over as UFA and at least have their choice of who pays them less...

Ellis -> Dunlap at pick #29
Thomas -> Taylor, once he realizes Miami and NE don't want him
Faneca -> Slauson, who I've heard the Jets really like

Hate to say it, but these would be pretty smart moves. This was Ellis' last year anyway. Thomas doesn't seem like one of Rexy's guys. Faneca is entering the "funny money" stage of his contract and while they could re-sign him for less...I'm wondering if they want to move on.

Given the likely state of the next CBA, they were going to have to go this route anyway. Starting now in a controlled way is better than a forced purge later.

First, I think Miami and New England tentatively want Taylor, but want to wait until Sunday to make that final decision to see who they draft or might become available via trade.

Second, if the Jets are making moves based on who they target in the draft and make the moves before they select these players they might be in huge trouble.

I will agree that the Jets will have to start dumping salary if the CBA is what it looks like and dumping at least Faneca and Thomas this year will save on dead money in subsequent years.

BTW, in that same article, Lombardi says the following players are also available via trade:

Cowboys
Marcus Spears
Bobby Carpenter
Sam Hurd,
Pat Watkins
Cory Procter

Raiders
Nnamdi Asomugha
Chris Johnson
Stanford Routt

If Faneca leaves, their running game takes a big hit. Why would they do that if there are no salary cap implications this year?

I can see why they would release Ellis if they get Taylor and Bryan Thomas if they get AD.

BTW, in that same article, Lombardi says the following players are also available via trade:

Cowboys
Marcus Spears
Bobby Carpenter
Sam Hurd,
Pat Watkins
Cory Procter

Raiders
Nnamdi Asomugha
Chris Johnson
Stanford Routt

I didn't want to make a thread on this but my buddy who is a die hard Cowboys fan sent me some discussions on their message boards that they believe spears would be a good fit for us at DE for our last pick in the 2nd round....

I didn't want to make a thread on this but my buddy who is a die hard Cowboys fan sent me some discussions on their message boards that they believe spears would be a good fit for us at DE for our last pick in the 2nd round....
Spears whined about Parcells' 3-4 style after the change over, he reportedly loved the San Diego style wade brought in, and the pat your ass not kick it coaching. I wouldn't be encouraged if NE got him.

As for the rumored NYJ moves, no reason to think guys with no off-field issues would fit in a Sexy Rexy program - this is cleaning house the Ryan way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes