PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lombardi: Jets likely to let Cromartie walk; interested in Asomugha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT: Lombardi: Jets likely to let Cromartie walk...interest in Asomugha

Typical. It will be funny to watch this team try to retain free agents over the next few years with so much invested in 2 players.

Looks like Lombardi sees the Jets doing all they can to keep both Edwards and Holmes and letting Cromartie go and in hopes of landing Asomugha

A secondary of Asomugha and Revis is not only scary,it's downright deadly.

Antonio Cromartie - New York Jets - 2011 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

I don't see how that can even be considered? Obviously letting Cromartie walk has to do with money, they don't want or maybe they can't afford to pay him. So how in the hell would they land Asomugha? Unless he takes a HUGE pay cut, like rookie style.

With Revis opposite of him making 10x his salary, I just don't see how that would work out, ESPECIALLY after they just gave Revis, Mangold, and Ferguson those huge contracts and expect to sign Harris, Holmes, Edwards among many others.

That would be deadly combo, but so would Larry Fitzgerald and Andre Johnson but that would be expensive, very expensive.

And unless Revis takes a massive pay cut, could you honestly see this happening?

Unless he's in NE he needs to stay out of the division.....hell, keep him out of the conference.

Also think of how much a slap in the face it would be to Cromartie.

Didn't the Jets have to give up a 2nd round pick in the Cromartie trade?
Well if they do sign Asomugha, they'd have what, 30M tied up in 2 corners. Go for it Ryan, good luck fielding the rest of the team! LOL.

That part about interest in Asomugha reads more like Rotoworld's own speculation than anything Lombardi said. The JETS will have a hard time hanging onto the two wideouts and the linebacker. Cromartie was always unlikely. The wideouts are critical because they don't want Sanchize to have to start over with new ones especially if there isn't time to assimilate in an offseason. They don't have the cap space for Asomugha. Tannenbaum even said so a while ago. And now that Rod Woodson is in Oakland appealing to Nnamdi to remain there it's probably more likely he will.

So lemme get this straight, they franchised Harris, wanna give long term contracts to Edwards and Holmes, and sign Asomugha? The only way I see them getting Aso is if he decides to take a pay cut, and lose either one of the wideouts or even both.

BTW wasnt it Lombardi that just about a week ago listed the Pats, Dolphins, and Packers as suitors for Nhamdi?

Last edited:

They are letting him go because of the high cost of health care premiums for his nine love children..

I don't see how that can even be considered? Obviously letting Cromartie walk has to do with money, they don't want or maybe they can't afford to pay him. So how in the hell would they land Asomugha? Unless he takes a HUGE pay cut, like rookie style.

With Revis opposite of him making 10x his salary, I just don't see how that would work out, ESPECIALLY after they just gave Revis, Mangold, and Ferguson those huge contracts and expect to sign Harris, Holmes, Edwards among many others.

That would be deadly combo, but so would Larry Fitzgerald and Andre Johnson but that would be expensive, very expensive.

And unless Revis takes a massive pay cut, could you honestly see this happening?

Personally I don't see it but Rotoworld claims Lombardi thinks this

If the Jets do what Rotoworld printed today then that team will be awfully thin in quality depth all across the board....unless like others say Here that the players in question take a deep pay cut for reason having a solid chance to be Super Bowl champs

I do think Rex will try and get his key players to think that taking less money would dramatically increase their chances to win a title....Rex is a goof but he is highly educated in motivating his players into believing they can win it all,his skills will be tested this offseason.

They are letting him go because of the high cost of health care premiums for his nine love children..

It probably doesn't cost as much as you'd think. He can't get them covered if he can't think of their names.

I don't think Asomugha would take LESS money to have MORE balls thrown his way.

If the Jets are letting Cromartie go to sign Holmes and Edwards, how in the world are they going to sign Asomugha? It is a pipe dream speculation.

Interesting change in the Jets stance, if this (The Cromartie part, not the Nnamdi part) turns out to be true. The Patriots are probably hoping it is.

It probably doesn't cost as much as you'd think. He can't get them covered if he can't think of their names.

But if he's going to keep beating them, the deductibles are going to go up.

Breer, Lombardi, and King are all reporting Asomugha is not looking for $. but who knows.

he also listed pats, phins, jets, and packers as landing spots for him.

Last edited:
Let me get this straight. They are going to spend all their bucks on about ten players and pay the rest min?

Last edited:
I think this is impossible.
Jets already won't be able to keep all their free agents, let alone sign another huge free agent name.

Hopefully some idiot like Dan Snyder offers him 20 million bucks. Pats played well vs aso in 08 if I remember correctly. I still would prefer to face dwight lowery or kyle wilson though lol.

Breer, Lombardi, and King are all reporting Asomugha is not looking for $. but who knows.

he also listed pats, phins, jets, and packers as landing spots for him.

There's a significant space between "not looking for $$" and "playing for peanuts."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back