PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lombardi gets it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
the brady pickle is a tough spot but idk in my gut this is his last season in a pats uni.

the brady pickle is a tough spot but idk in my gut this is his last season in a pats uni.

Thank you for the Jetsfan POV. I assume you think there will be no sort of franchise tag in the new CBA, then.

Not to be snide, buy exactly what is your opinion based on? Joe Montana may be one of Brady's heroes, but it is by no means a given that Brady will still be playing QB when he's pushing 40.

Brady is not the same person as the hungry, in-your-face, football-means- everything QB that helped us win three titles.

I believe he truly wants another ring, especially for Welker and Moss. I still wouldn't trade his attitude or talent for any other QB in the NFL. At the same time, it would not surprise me in the least if he were to leave after this year if there remains any impasse over his contract situation when this season is over.

You don't think Brady has it in him to play as long as Favre is? I do.

Lombardi is just trying to be outrageous with his prediction of Miami.

I'm not sure how he can be so high on that team after they imploded down the stretch last year. They were 7-6 at one point and set for a playoff run before dropping the last three games of the year. They just couldnt stop any of the good teams on defense and I don't think they really improved that.

Fun fact, the Fins finished one game better than the Bills...

Not to be snide, buy exactly what is your opinion based on? Joe Montana may be one of Brady's heroes, but it is by no means a given that Brady will still be playing QB when he's pushing 40.

Brady is not the same person as the hungry, in-your-face, football-means- everything QB that helped us win three titles.

I believe he truly wants another ring, especially for Welker and Moss. I still wouldn't trade his attitude or talent for any other QB in the NFL. At the same time, it would not surprise me in the least if he were to leave after this year if there remains any impasse over his contract situation when this season is over.

Not to be snide, but what exactly is your opinion based on? How did you manage to so definitively come to the conclusion that "Brady is not the same person as the hungry, in-your-face, football-means-everything QB that helped us win three titles"?

I always joked that Boston was so fickle that eventually they'd even manage to get after Brady. Doesn't make it any less surprising/ridiculous now that it's actually happening.

Lombardi is just trying to be outrageous with his prediction of Miami.

I'm not sure how he can be so high on that team after they imploded down the stretch last year. They were 7-6 at one point and set for a playoff run before dropping the last three games of the year. They just couldnt stop any of the good teams on defense and I don't think they really improved that.

Fun fact, the Fins finished one game better than the Bills...

A lot of that was because Ferguson was gone, but he just retired today, so... yeah. Great news for Dansby.

A lot of that was because Ferguson was gone, but he just retired today, so... yeah. Great news for Dansby.

Here's a thought, trade Fergie replacement NT Brace to MIA for their #1 in 2011 :)

Not to be snide, but what exactly is your opinion based on? How did you manage to so definitively come to the conclusion that "Brady is not the same person as the hungry, in-your-face, football-means-everything QB that helped us win three titles"?

I always joked that Boston was so fickle that eventually they'd even manage to get after Brady. Doesn't make it any less surprising/ridiculous now that it's actually happening.

Simmer down dude, and don't be snide. ;)

I'm not writing these "fickle" articles that are offending some people's sensibilities so much. I'm not even reading them anymore, because it's not worth the time.

I was responding to another poster who made a pretty "definitive statement" as you put it, about Brady playing another 7-8 years. I don't claim to know how long Brady will last or how long he'll be here. Just throwing it out there that there's a decent possibility (read: possibilty) that in the year 2017 he's not going to be in a Patriots' uniform chucking deep passes to guys who may not even be in high school yet. There's also a possibility that he is not a New England Patriot in 2011 if the Pats (foolishly) play hard ball with him, for whatever reason. IMO it won't happen, but with the CBA situation and possibility of a lockout, nothing would surprise me.

Regarding the changes in his life and his attitude towards football, I think most people will agree that yea, his priorities in life might have changed to a a certain extent over the last few years. :rolleyes:

One of the issues here is that we are used to team building by bringing in a lot of veteran complimentary players to what appears to be a new philosophy of bringing in young'uns.. the former paid off quickly, but the latter is difficult to assess..

With that being said, with an improved secondary.. improved MLB position and everything else remaining about the same on D may bode well for us.. very enthused about what looks like a group of stout MLB's that may correct some of the red zone issues..

I would shocked to death if Brady left after this season. The only way I can see him playing for another team in 2011 is if he is playing for the new Los Angeles franchise that we were informed on this board a few months back was definitely going to play in LA in 2011 eventhough there is no place for them to play nor any plans to move a team to LA in the near future.

Brady if injuries do not do him will be playing into his 40s. I have little doubt about it. The guy is probably one of the biggest competitors in football today. Everyone confuses his desire to balance football with family during the offseason with his passion for football. Brett Favre is going to play this year and he is already into his 40s and as long as I can remember, he has spent every offseason in Kilne, MS with his family. They accuse the guy of a lot of things, but not having passion for the game or lack of competitive spirit is not one of them. Why do people hold Brady to different standards in this case? Peyton Manning doesn't spend his entire offseason Indiana either.

Brady may not be a Patriot until he retire, but barring injuries or a significant decline in talent I see little doubt he will be playing the next 6-7 years. By all accounts, the guy is competitive that he gets animated in a friendly game of dominoes in the lockerroom. Guys like that typically have to be pried from the game when their skills have diminished to the point they are no longer productive.

On Brady:
I think we should look at his future in three year increments, though I'll be the first to admit there's nothing magic about "three."

He'll be 33 on Opening Day this year. It's completely reasonable, even with the hits he's taken and a major injury under his belt, to think that he has three more seasons playing at the highest level, through age 35. So, no lockout, no strike!

Then, for the next three years (36--38), it's a question of how the hits accumulate, how the line protects him (Sign Logan Mankins! This is not the time to tinker with the O-Line that limited his sacks to 16 last year) and whether he can pull an Elway (only QB to win a SB over the age of 35, at 37 and 38). I think we can hope for that, but we really can't say it's a sure thing.

39--41? Who knows? Maybe he'll be Favre. From our lips to God's ears!

As to where he plays, if he doesn't have a new contract by Training Camp, I'd put the odds of his staying willingly at around 75%. If he doesn't have a new contract by the end of next season, 50-50.

Last edited:
We'll no sh*t! If their 2008,2009 and 2010 classes are a bust, the window will shut.

The 2008 draft class isn't a bust, yet, but it is disappointing at this point. Considering Mayo was a 10th overall pick, if he doesn't start playing like one in his third year I think you can consider that draft a failure.

The 2008 draft class isn't a bust, yet, but it is disappointing at this point. Considering Mayo was a 10th overall pick, if he doesn't start playing like one in his third year I think you can consider that draft a failure.

Jeezus...he was only the NFL DROY in 2008 and battling back from an in season in knee injury in 2009...

Yeah, the best Mayo could do was be defensive rookie of the year. So the media only thought he was the best defensive player of his draft class that year. Talk about not living up to expectations. He was the seventh defensive player taken and considered the best defensive player of his rookie class. So his rookie year he clearly played like the 10th overall pick.

Last year he has a severely sprained MCL and came back sooner than anyone expected. He probably was hampered by that all year.

I think Mayo is clearly a draft success. Based on their draft positions, Whilhite and Slater are too. Wheatley has this year to prove he isn't a bust. Crable whether he makes it or not has to be chocked up to two unlucky breaks in the injury department. O'Connell was a clear bust. Ruud actually performed well for his draft position, just not with the Pats.

Nomar...Pedro...Brady It's sickening but it's media driven in a town where if you don't play ball with a collection of talking heads they start to pick you apart and poison the sheep faction of the fan base against you (and often attempt to drive a wedge between you and ownership) while denying they are doing any such thing all along the way.

On Brady:
I think we should look at his future in three year increments, though I'll be the first to admit there's nothing magic about "three."

He'll be 33 on Opening Day this year. It's completely reasonable, even with the hits he's taken and a major injury under his belt, to think that he has three more seasons playing at the highest level, through age 35. So, no lockout, no strike!

Then, for the next three years (36--38), it's a question of how the hits accumulate, how the line protects him (Sign Logan Mankins! This is not the time to tinker with the O-Line that limited his sacks to 16 last year) and whether he can pull an Elway (only QB to win a SB over the age of 35, at 37 and 38). I think we can hope for that, but we really can't say it's a sure thing.

39--41? Who knows? Maybe he'll be Favre. From our lips to God's ears!

As to where he plays, if he doesn't have a new contract by Training Camp, I'd put the odds of his staying willingly at around 75%. If he doesn't have a new contract by the end of next season, 50-50.

I give about a 99% chance odds that Brady stays willingly. He might be franchised to start the offseason, but odds are slim that he won't have a new contract by the start of training camp. He is the franchise. I know the media loves to spin this but Kraft has said everything Irsay has said about the importance of keeping their starting QB other than guaranteeing that Brady would be the highest paid player in the league.

As for how long he can play, I think he can last longer than Favre. Guys like Brady and Manning are better suited to play longer into their careers because their strength are their brains, not their bronze. Favre is a gunslinger. He relies on his arm. Brady and Manning rely on their presnap reads, making progressions, feeling the pressure, etc. Those guys tend to be able to do it longer barring injuries.

As for Brady's beatings, guys like Favre get beaten just as much. In fact, Brady is every bit as tough as Favre (even Favre couldn't play through tearing two ligaments in his knee). I think he can tough it out just like Favre and is at an advantage since he doesn't need to rely on his physical skills as much as Favre.

Regarding the changes in his life and his attitude towards football, I think most people will agree that yea, his priorities in life might have changed to a a certain extent over the last few years. :rolleyes:

Brady's priorities have changed over the last few years, but that doesn't mean that Brady doesn't approach football the same way. He may be on the West Coast during the offseason, but correct me if I am wrong but the only time we heard from him in California was when people saw him working out at UCLA. I saw a lot of pictures of Gizzelle at events without Tom.

Brady last year at times was more animated than I have ever seen him. He was constantly trying to fire up the team on the sidelines.

People seem to want to judge Brady's attitude on football based on a parking space. Plenty of firey guys as they got older had to learn how to balance family life with football. Brady is no different. No one questioned Rodney Harrison's passion for football, but he spent every offseason out of state with his family. No one questioned Seau and he stayed retired until training camp or longer every year he was here.

Other than media and fan conjecture and the fact he doesn't win the workout parking space every year, I see no real evidence that Brady has lost his passion for football a single ounce. He looks as firey on the field and the sidelines as he was in 2003.

Simmer down dude, and don't be snide. ;)

I'm not writing these "fickle" articles that are offending some people's sensibilities so much. I'm not even reading them anymore, because it's not worth the time.

That happens to most boys if/as they grow up to be men. Generally speaking, it's a good thing. A long time ago Brady said he realized early on what he really needed in his life to perform at his best was stability in his personal life. He's sought that out with Bridget. Didn't last forever, but he quickly located it again with Giselle. He has two priorities, family and football. Just what Kraft preaches he wants from his players. Belichick probably still leans toward football first, though it cost his family substantially. But he's not sleeping on the floor of his office these days like he used to, either. He and Linda find a lot more time for socializing that he and Debby ever did... So even he's found some level of balance, absent which guys often burn out and end up taking sabaticals from football altogether.

Kraft doesn't always get it, his love of the 18 game schedule and overseas games being just a few examples, because he serves two masters. Bill does get it, because while he may not don pads like these guys the game of football has been his life. He literally sent Brady and his core veterans home after the 2007 season and told them to get away from the game before the frustration and pressure wore them out. He realized he'd been dealing with a group that had largely been playing 18-19-20 game seasons with few exceptions for a long time. He realized they better start pacing themselves lest they wear down mentally or physically to the point they started contemplating hanging 'em up. There are only a handful of those guys left a decade into this run. Belichick is smart enough to want at least one of them to do whatever it takes to continue performing for at least as long as he remains here...

He doesn't worry about Brady's committment. Four guys were late to practice in a snow storm on the morning his second son was born. Tom wasn't one of them. I'm sure Bill would have excused him had he asked. He didn't because he knew the significance of that practice on the heels of Bill's admonition that he wanted guys to show up early and stay late because they weren't performing up to their capabilities as a team.

PatsFanSince74 said:

There are significant structural impediments to getting an extension done for Brady that would satisfy both camps, unless you think Brady wants a half assed incrementally guaranteed deal like Ferguson just signed.... The options are to wait it out or do a deal that one side wouldn't be happy living with beyond this season. It is what it is. It has nothing to do with personalities or disconnects. In hindsight it's unfortunate they didn't get an extension done in 2008, but the owners opted out sooner than anyone anticipated, and from that point on getting a viable long term extension done became problematic. It has nothing to do with either sides long term committment to each other. I imagine if push comes to shove they can do a short term extension to preclude any need to tag (say adding 1 year via a signing bonus and increased base salary). He could get another $4M or so in salary but the rest would be dependent on signing bonus (say $10M) and substantial 2011 salary could not be fully guaranteed. But half of that signing bonus would hit any potential cap in 2011...making a long term extension in 2011 (and it would have to wait 12 months to boot) more difficult while at the same time potentially lessening Brady's leverage going forward - so like i said, it's a problem for both sides with no easy resolution at this moment.

For that reason among others, I think it's 100% he will be here next season whether a deal gets done this year or not (because the owners won't give up the tag and Brady would rather play here for Bill than for any other team or HC including a very different version of the 49'ers than the one he grew up following). I'm pretty sure the most frustrating part of this whole situation for Tom is the incessant questioning and speculation. By his own admission he hasn't given it a whole lot of thought, in part I'm sure because he's a pretty smart cookie and he knows what the problems entail...

In order to do a long term deal for him today the team would have to cough up probably in excess of $40M in signing bonus (which could be amortized but still has to be paid up front) in lieu of actual guaranteed monies (because his salary wasn't guaranteed in 2009 and there is a rule in this expiring CBA that precludes fully guaranteeing money unless your 2009 cap could have absorbed the entire amount), which means every future player they sign between now and next or even the following season is going to be largely limited to getting guaranteed money in lieu of signing bonus because of cash flow. And there is really no way Bob can do that while the league is attempting to negotiate a scaled back CBA due to operating income concerns...not to mention given his own net operating income (which is what bonus plus a lot more comes from) he'd likey have to increase his debt load (borrow half of the money or more) or dip into the Kraft family bank account (which is bad business) to fund that level of signing bonus.

I give about a 99% chance odds that Brady stays willingly. He might be franchised to start the offseason, but odds are slim that he won't have a new contract by the start of training camp. He is the franchise. I know the media loves to spin this but Kraft has said everything Irsay has said about the importance of keeping their starting QB other than guaranteeing that Brady would be the highest paid player in the league.

As for how long he can play, I think he can last longer than Favre. Guys like Brady and Manning are better suited to play longer into their careers because their strength are their brains, not their bronze. Favre is a gunslinger. He relies on his arm. Brady and Manning rely on their presnap reads, making progressions, feeling the pressure, etc. Those guys tend to be able to do it longer barring injuries.

As for Brady's beatings, guys like Favre get beaten just as much. In fact, Brady is every bit as tough as Favre (even Favre couldn't play through tearing two ligaments in his knee). I think he can tough it out just like Favre and is at an advantage since he doesn't need to rely on his physical skills as much as Favre.

Hope you're right about Brady's contract. The one thing we all know about the negotiations is that none of us know anything, so one view is as good as another. I'm not as sanguine as you are about the outcome if we go into the season without a contract and don't even want to think about possible franchising scenarios, but, as I said, I hope you're right.

As for his longevity, it's not for nothing that the average retirement age of SB era QB's in Canton is 37.5 (median is 38) and that only one QB has won a SB after the age of 35, but, again, I hope you are right. The only place where I disagree is that I don't think it's a matter of "toughness," as there's no doubt in my mind that Tommy is as tough as anyone who has ever laced them up and stepped between the lines on Sunday afternoon. But, we just can't know how anyone's "physiological self" is going to react to the physical stress of playing this game, which, to my mind, accumulates logarithmically as players get older and certainly after they've started for 13 or 14 seasons.

I think Favre is a freak of nature, like Nolan Ryan or Steve Carlton, whose arms just kept throwing the horsehide at silly speeds and with remarkable control long after all the books said they should have stopped. But, once again, I hope you're right in your assessment of Brady (and Manning, who, pressing 34, has now started a total of 210 consecutive games if you include the playoffs).

Last edited:
Ever hear the expression, it's not the years it's the mileage? Brady is still fairly low mileage; especially for his age. This might sound trivial, but just compare the way he looks to Peyton. You can seriously tell the stress of the job has eaten away at Manning. He looks way older than 34. Way older. Same for Favre. Brady? Not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back