PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lombardi: First full Rd 1 Mock Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I find interesting is last year's draft analysis. When talking about ILBs last year, a lot of people were saying that if Maualuga or Lauranitis had come out last year, they would have been the top ILB(s) selected. Now there's a chance that one or both will be there at 23. What happened?
I remember that too, maybe its a case of just having more games and tape to evaluate them. It just could be they were not as good as everyone once thought.

Last edited:
3 QBs in the top 11 huh. Strange. If the draft unfolded that way, I'm probably running up to the podium with Beatty's or Davis's name....need be damned. I'd prefer trading down or into next year, however.

I understand this talk about Maualuga not being good in coverage, but I think it's crazy to assume he can't play on third down. A guy who's that big of a hitter and that good of a blitzer, they can find some way to keep him on the field. Maybe you could have Adalius Thomas drop and Rey blitz. Maybe you limit his responsibilities in the zone.

Vince Wilfork doesn't give you much on passing downs either, but he's definitely worth a first-rounder. If you put Maualuga, Mayo and Wilfork out there at the same time, you can be a lot more aggressive with the rest of your defense, because those guys will hold down the middle pretty well. The outside linebackers will be able to sell out for the pass rush that much more.

I hope Lombardi's thinking is widespread. It seems to me Maualuga would be a great addition to the Pats. Our defense really hasn't been the same since Ted Johnson left -- we really need that big, heavy-hitting Mike in the middle there, somebody to take on guards, and we haven't had that. And Maualuga would be better than Ted Johnson.

Interesting that none of these 'pro' mocks rate Barwin as highly as a lot of others do...

English or Barwin? Im not sure but if Maulauga was still there at #23 then I think we'd think long and hard about it - the thought of him and Mayo at ILB for the next 10 years is a nice one:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes