PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lombardi believes Pats will trade Garoppolo to the Browns

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would trade him. Brady has 4-5 years more. JG would not be happy being a back up and you should be able to draft another QB in the next 5 years.

Cmon man lets be realistic, Brady is dealing with a knee injury, getting extra rest every week, Brady is great but at any moment his play ma decline a little bit.

Im not saying dont trade Jimmy, but lets not get blind too

If I recall correctly @Miguel discussing this, Brady is basically untradeable under his current contract because trading him puts a smoking crater in the team's salary cap.

This offseason. After 2017 the Pats could theoretically trade him without blowing up the cap, extension notwithstanding.

This offseason. After 2017 the Pats could theoretically trade him without blowing up the cap, extension notwithstanding.

Are you sure? I thought @Miguel said the cap blowup lasts at least into 2018.

Ok, according to
Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2017 Patriots Salary Cap Information Page
Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2017 Patriots Salary Cap Information Page
Brady hits the cap for:
  • $27,000,000 on the 2017 cap if cut or traded before 2 June 2017
  • $14,000,000 on the 2018 cap if cut or traded after 1 June 2017
  • $14,000,000 on the 2018 cap if cut or traded before 2 June 2018
  • $7,000,000 on the 2019 cap if cut or traded after 1 June 2018
JG's contract expires when the 2018 league year starts in March 2018.

Option #3: win Super Bowl 51, and ship Brady to a 49ers team desperate to put butts in seats, netting a couple of mid round picks in return. This allows Brady to chase the career volume numbers in his hometown, and gives the Pats a chance to launch a new era with a deep draft cache. Certainly not the option that I hope for, but if you don't believe this is an option, you haven't been following the past 16 years of Bill Belichick.

As long as they evaluate Brady as being who he is he will not get traded. Once he starts to decline he will be the first one to pull the plug and retire. There is no way that Brady will play for another team in his career and this has nothing to do with sentimentality.

His entire situation is perfectly set up here. He has a coaching staff and offensive system that works based on his strengths, he has his entire support network built here and finally given his attitude I doubt that he would be able to handle playing at a lower level than he is used to. Being out there but not being able to do the things he is used to would eat him up inside.

How long do you think it would take the 49ers (or any other team) to built an offense that can be run according to what Brady wants ? 1 season ? longer ? Why do you think Manning went to Denver ? They already had many pieces on offense so Manning wouldn't waste time waiting until the team has the type of players he needs to succeed.

I know people love those BB narratives and he might be willing to trade Brady but there is not a single doubt in my mind that Tom would retire unless he gets traded into the absolute right situation with Josh as coach.

Reactions: PP2
I've always thought Cleveland is the most likely trading partner for Jimmy G because of the trade ammo they have and the familiarity between the front offices. Some teams have better front office relations than others and the Pats and Browns seem to have a pretty good one based on trades in the past.

Cleveland has the draft capital to trade us their 1st rounder from Philly while still keeping #1 overall to take the best player. They also have extra 2nd and 5th round picks which would make it much easier to package picks if a bidding war ensues.

With such a weak draft class and poor FA market I think the starting price is the 1st rounder from the Eagles +

I've always thought Cleveland is the most likely trading partner for Jimmy G because of the trade ammo they have and the familiarity between the front offices. Some teams have better front office relations than others and the Pats and Browns seem to have a pretty good one based on trades in the past.

Cleveland has the draft capital to trade us their 1st rounder from Philly while still keeping #1 overall to take the best player. They also have extra 2nd and 5th round picks which would make it much easier to package picks if a bidding war ensues.

With such a weak draft class and poor FA market I think the starting price is the 1st rounder from the Eagles +

I agree that on paper Cleveland seems to make most sense. What is the point of having all those additional draft picks if you don't try to use them on getting the most important piece of the puzzle.. a good quarterback. Better take a shot in a year where you have tons of ammunition I suppose..

That being said the Bears make sense from a sentimental perspective because of all the Illinois connections between them and JG.

It could be an interesting offseason because of this entire dynamic..

If I recall correctly @Miguel discussing this, Brady is basically untradeable under his current contract because trading him puts a smoking crater in the team's salary cap.
Brady knows this too - it's not just BB being shrewd and restructuring TB for cap space on a near-yearly basis, it's Tom knowing it gives him a level of certainty about his place; a trade-off positive for team and player alike. It's a theme set in the 2013 at the first point when TB's age could reasonably be questioned, and re-done a couple times since. Wouldn't be surprised to see it again after next year. Better to burn out than to fade away, and stuff. The risk/reward of Brady being great elsewhere vs. watching him kinda suck (compared to NFL avg QB) for or a year at some point (2021/22?) in NE isn't just theoretical, it's SuperBowl/NFL legacy type ****. BB may be many things and the champion of "better a year too early..." but this is different. It's potentially bigger than Jordan > Wizards or Montana > KC. There's no parallel. Maybe Ruth > Yankees. Yes, I'm serious. If they traded Tom Brady - having shown no signs of wear or decline - to another team, and he won the ****ing Super Bowl, how would that make you feel? Really think about that.

Obviously many teams could offer the moon and score JG in return, but I do agree that CLE and CHI are the most sensible landing spots. Chicago because JG is a local kid, they need a QB, and BB could extract a fine price from a team run largely by non-football people. Kyle Long and a couple picks, some random RB/WR/LB/DB that he makes a star, or whatever. Cleveland because they've traded recently, they have lots of picks and need a QB like 20 other teams. I think the #1 overall pick is probably redonk, but a couple high #2's and a player or two isn't out of the question.

I like JG too but the idea that he's the only guy that can fill this role is just stupid. Brady's got time - years, yet - on the clock. When you have the GOAT, you capitalize on that and ride it to the ****ing end, you don't second-guess it. I know the 19-1 TD/INT ratio, 69% completion percentage, and 7-1 record he's posted this year at age 39 makes it hard to believe in him, but for some reason I still like the guy.

you keep brady until he declines to the point where you have better options, he is so far and above the 2nd best at the position, that WHEN he declines is not part of the equation, only HAS he declined is

the answer right now is no, and until it changes he should continue being the #1 QB

Bb is never moving Brady. Brady's play will only decline rapidly, if the o line sucks or all his receivers get injured.

At the end of this year brissett will have a year in the system, only if he is doing well will the bb move jimmy g.

If jimmy g is not moved this offseason, then we have to assume brissett is not at a point that bb is comfortable with brissett's development.

you keep brady until he declines to the point where you have better options, he is so far and above the 2nd best at the position, that WHEN he declines is not part of the equation, only HAS he declined is

the answer right now is no, and until it changes he should continue being the #1 QB

Who's 1st?

I like JG too but the idea that he's the only guy that can fill this role is just stupid. Brady's got time - years, yet - on the clock. When you have the GOAT, you capitalize on that and ride it to the ****ing end, you don't second-guess it. I know the 19-1 TD/INT ratio, 69% completion percentage, and 7-1 record he's posted this year at age 39 makes it hard to believe in him, but for some reason I still like the guy.

giphy.gif

I've said it before, but I can totally see one of the Browns, Bears and 49ers trade their first pick for Garropolo, and it's not totally impossible. Look at the QBs in this draft, Mitch Trubisky, DeShone Kizer, Deshaun Watson...it is so much more likely that Garropolo will be better than all of these QB prospects (are these guys even better than Goff?).

If Sam Bradford, the most average QB in the NFL right now, netted a first round pick from the Vikings, surely one of these three QB-desperate teams will trade their first for Garropolo, who is younger than Bradford and played pretty damn well despite limited playing time.

I'll add another team to the list. The Cardinals could be a team that trades for JG. Bruce Ariana was heaping praise on JG before week 1. And I think AZ is a team that's a QB away from getting to the SB. They could think Jimmy is the guy....

Id love to speculate Myles Garrett coming here, but I don't see them trading the #1 pick for JG. Only way they do that is if we were to include a player like Gronk into the mix, and do we really want to do that?

If JG is even close to being the next Brady, you retain JG at all costs. Given the relative ages, I'd be very surprised if BB trades JG, unless there is something going on behind the scenes that we are not aware of. JG has shown that he can excel in this system & if the Pats hold onto him, we have another 10 year window.

This is a QB driven league. If JG is traded, realistically we have a 2 year window to win a Championship & then we rebuild, like everyone else. I don't see BB letting that happen.

This is why I asked the question earlier about the value of Brady in a trade. I know it's a fairly small sample size to judge Garoppolo, but it still might be worth it to keep him.

This is why I asked the question earlier about the value of Brady in a trade. I know it's a fairly small sample size to judge Garoppolo, but it still might be worth it to keep him.
I think it might definitely be worth keeping JG. I just don't see how it can possibly happen given Brady's contract and the fact that next season is the final year of JG's contract and he won't stay here to be a backup (nor should he).

As long as they evaluate Brady as being who he is he will not get traded. Once he starts to decline he will be the first one to pull the plug and retire. There is no way that Brady will play for another team in his career and this has nothing to do with sentimentality.

His entire situation is perfectly set up here. He has a coaching staff and offensive system that works based on his strengths, he has his entire support network built here and finally given his attitude I doubt that he would be able to handle playing at a lower level than he is used to. Being out there but not being able to do the things he is used to would eat him up inside.

How long do you think it would take the 49ers (or any other team) to built an offense that can be run according to what Brady wants ? 1 season ? longer ? Why do you think Manning went to Denver ? They already had many pieces on offense so Manning wouldn't waste time waiting until the team has the type of players he needs to succeed.

I know people love those BB narratives and he might be willing to trade Brady but there is not a single doubt in my mind that Tom would retire unless he gets traded into the absolute right situation with Josh as coach.

That's a very romantic view of the world, and as a huge Brady fan going back to his Michigan days, I really hope you are right.

However, I doubt it will happen that way.

The majority of recent good QBs don't end up walking away from the game and their team on their own terms. Elway is the obvious example, and Marino and Kelly walked away as well.

There are guys who stayed with one team but had to walk away early because of injuries. Aikman is an example of that.

But it's hard for a star QB, the ultimate competitor, to just flick the switch off. Manning's injuries played a part in the Colts parting with him, but he wasn't ready to leave the game. Same with Montana. Ditto Favre, who did the ultimate **** YOU to Packers fans by eventually joining the Vikings after a year-long stint with the Jets. Warner bounced around a bit after the Rams. Cunningham, Bledsoe, McNabb, McNair, so many others couldn't just walk away from the game when their games started to decline.

And Brady is more competitive than all of those guys. He's spent his entire life working to extend his career. Every meal, every workout, every nap is designed to give him an extra year or two or three. You think he's walking away from the game?

That's not how he's wired. He was the 6th-string guy at Michigan, the 4th-string guy in New England, he pushed himself to primary backup to quality game manager to Pro Bowler to HOFer to GOAT. You really think he's going to just turn off that competitive drive when his game slips a bit?

His contracts are structured to make it as painful as possible to cut him, while being as team-friendly as possible. Even if his game slips a bit, he's making only a touch more than Ryan Tannehill or Colin Kaepernick so he doesn't need to justify a top-3 salary anymore.

A lot could happen between now and Brady's retirement. Injuries may rob us of seeing the story play out. Who knows? And maybe he could just one day wake up and decide he's done with it. But knowing everything we know about Brady, I just can't see him spending so much of his life trying to maximize and extend his career, then walking away earlier than he has to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes