PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lombardi believes Pats will trade Garoppolo to the Browns

Status
Not open for further replies.
PUT DOWN THE BONG
Not geting #1 overall pick.
A 2nd in 2017 (1st pick of 2nd round) and a 1st in 2018 would be max from Cleveland
Even that is high
Likely if CLE would be 2017 2nd plus 2 other non-1st round picks, one in 2018

Here's the thing. There is nothing more valuable in the NFL than a franchise quarterback. Nothing. If JG *is* a franchise quarterback - and of course, who knows about that? - then he's absolutely worth much more than the #1 overall pick in this coming draft. I'm not saying Cleveland would do it, but JG would be worth much more than that.

I think it's funny how some hold the "only played six quarters" thing against JG, as if first round picks aren't spent on quarterbacks who haven't played a single snap in the NFL all the time.

With rare exceptions-- like the Super Bowl winner last year-- teams need top quarterbacks to compete for championships. Whether the Pats keep JG, or if they trade him what they get for him, depends on the individuals who are making the decision and what they think he will be. All speculation beyond that isn't worth much.
Teams also do not trade first rounders for players who have barely seen the field for 3 years.

The problem with trading Brady is that he'd just retire rather than play for a Cleveland. Plus he may have a no trade clause.

The can't know if JG is the next Brady, besides are they going to pay him to sit for another 3 or 4 years, basically his whole career? He'll walk after his rookie deal is up if he has any desire to play at all. Then the pats get a 5th round comp or so.

Yes. Hope it's in the top 10. That pick and a second rounder and i am good lol
Eagles pick to Cleveland is now at #11 if season ended today. Eagles have 4 games left v Wash, Dallas, NYG all at home and on road vs Balt. They are likely looking at 1-3 to finish 6-10 as three of those teams are fighting for a playoff spot and Wash is possibly.......

As would I. That said, I don't think they'd give that up for Garoppolo. My guess is it would be their first round pick in next year's draft if that panned out.

I'd think that the Browns would trade back first, getting a decent ransom for the #1 pick and then using a mid 1st rounder for Garoppolo. That'd be a great way to go from awful to mediocre - and there's a LOT of mediocre teams and QBs in the league, so if Garoppolo is even above average, it's worth it.

Despite being let go by the Browns, given the franchise moving etc. I think Belichick laments that a once great organization is such a laughing stock in the league - so I could see him favoring trading a backup QB to a team one doesn't expect to be a contender for awhile.

The question of McDaniels and Garopplo going as a package isn't as far fetched as some might think.

The only way McDaniels leaves is if he knows he has a decent QB and that might indeed be Garoppolo

Eagles pick to Cleveland is now at #11 if season ended today. Eagles have 4 games left v Wash, Dallas, NYG all at home and on road vs Balt. They are likely looking at 1-3 to finish 6-10 as three of those teams are fighting for a playoff spot and Wash is possibly.......

Do you feel the Bears would be willing to part ways with their 1st round pick?

I would hope for a bidding war :p

I maybe in the minority but I am not a lombardi fan. he gets his voice out there as a fact by name dropping belichick so much that its annoying. Yes he probably did a decent job here with him but was also GM with the browns and raiders when moss was traded to us. No one would listen to him this much if he didnt keep saying BB's name all the time.

Here's the thing. There is nothing more valuable in the NFL than a franchise quarterback. Nothing. If JG *is* a franchise quarterback - and of course, who knows about that? - then he's absolutely worth much more than the #1 overall pick in this coming draft. I'm not saying Cleveland would do it, but JG would be worth much more than that.

The salient issue is "who knows about that?"
Very little evidence saying he is. Very high risk. High risk comes with a discount.

Well there are some things that we know for certain... I think. ;)

1. We know that the 2017 QB draft has no one who can step in and start in the NFL (at least according to reports).

2. The best thing you can say about them is that there are a few that look like they are good athletes with very live arms, and whoyou know need 2 or 3 years to even see what you have.

3. When you look at some of the "success stories" of the QB draft like Winston and Marriota, it is clear that even THESE QBs are STILL works in progress after 3 years down the road....and lets not talk about the failures

4. It should be noted that any QB taken in first round is STILL going to be making more money next year than JG.

5. JG had a VERY successful 6 quarters of football where he flawlessly ran an one of the more complex offenses in the league without Gronk.

6. We also know that short term success will NEVER guarantee long term success. Colin Capernick not only took his team to the Superbowl and almost won it in his 2nd year in the league, the very next season he carried his team to the NFCCG. That is 2 full years of stellar production, and you can currently have Colin Kapernick as your QB for a 2022 7th round pick and bag of balls.

So while no one can guarantee you that JG will be a 10 year all pro, you CAN pretty much guarantee that for the next 2 years he's going to be better than any other QB available in the current draft. You can guarantee you can have him on the cheap for at least one year. You can guarantee them there won't be a 2 or 3 year training period to get him up and running. If he can run the Pats offense, he can run the crap you are running.

7. And here is someting that isn't mentioned much, there are some HC's on these losing teams that don't have the luxury to wait around and hope their high pick QB develops into something serviceable. What is a first round pick to them when it's likely another HC will be reaping the benefits of that pick.

8 Best to remember that Matt Cassel was traded, not just for A 2nd rounder, but for the 34th pick in the draft (or just 3 picks after their first round slot) at a time they had very little leverage in the market.

It is the confluence of all these events that could very well make JG a very valuable commodity in the trade market, much more that it would seem for a QB with only 6 quarters of football on tape.

Another thing to consider is that IIRC Cleveland has about 14 picks in next year's draft, mabye more. They are already one of the youngest teams in the league and had a ton of picks last season that are still with the team. The thing is that there comes a time in the team building process where you start to have TOO many draft picks and not enough players. Cleveland needs some time to develop those players and a QB to lead them.

All that being said, I still think that Chicago is the best landing spot for JG. Fox desperately needs to win next season. His team is showing some signs of progress, but Matt Barkley isn't going to be the answer. Bringing Jimmy home to Chicago would making giving up that high #1 more saleable to thier fans. JG gives that team a shot to win next year.

They can even make the deal even more palatable by trading down a few picks, get a few more picks for themselves and still give the Pats a top 1o pick for JG (and a 3rd next year)

Last edited:
The salient issue is "who knows about that?"
Very little evidence saying he is. Very high risk. High risk comes with a discount.

Well, not just that - you've only got him under contract for one year. There's a very reasonable chance he wouldn't agree to an extension, and you could lose him after just one year.

Teams also do not trade first rounders for players who have barely seen the field for 3 years.
Esp now with so many late round QB's doing okay and rookie salaries are cheap, i think teams trading 2 #1s are gone esp for a backup who has played 5 games.

Do you feel the Bears would be willing to part ways with their 1st round pick?

I would hope for a bidding war :p
All it takes is one team and some times they get in a bidding war with themselves ( see Jets re Revis 2015)..Vikings panicked and overpaid for Bradford and looking at what is coming out of college or be free agents or available via trade, it's an old oft-injured Tony Romo, possibly Jimmy G. and,,,,Cousins (franchised -maybe?) or Fitzpatrick....
If I'm a GM who job security isn't the greatest, I'd trade a high first and second next year for Jimmy G. As I posted earlier, could see BB flipping a top 5 pick for a few first rounders and maybe an extra first next year..
Even if it's only one team interested, the media could make up a story about another team interested....

I wouldn't give Jimmy away for anything less than the Browns 1st obtained from Philly.

Esp now with so many late round QB's doing okay

????

AFCE
Brady
Fitzpatrick/Petty
Taylor

AFCN
Kessler

AFCS
None

AFCW
Siemian

NFCE
Prescott
Cousins

NFCN
None

NFCS
None

NFCW
Wilson
Kaepernick (if he's still starting)

9 starters out of 32 that aren't 1st or 2nd rounders
Brady's been around since 2001, so taking him away, because your post implies something recent....

Good starters from below round 2:

Cousins
Wilson
Prescott (maybe)
Taylor (if he's your cup of tea)

Taking out Brady, there are somewhere between 2 and 4 decent (or better) NFL starting QBs that weren't first or second round picks. That's not exactly a wave of low round talent.

Cassell at least had a full season of work. He got a 2nd rounder. Jimmy has 6 quarters and that's it. It will definitely be a factor in his percieved value IMO. Maybe if the Pats wrap up the first seed early they can showcase JG against Miami in week 17.

Cassel is a special case that has essentially no bearing on Garoppolo.

The question of McDaniels and Garopplo going as a package isn't as far fetched as some might think.

The only way McDaniels leaves is if he knows he has a decent QB and that might indeed be Garoppolo

This. If a team is going to give up a ransom for JG, it's foolish to transition him to another offense when he has mastered Josh's. Let everyone else on the new team learn their individual part in Josh's offense rather than making Jimmy learn a whole new offense encompassing 10 other jobs. The teams that need JG the most need a better coach as well.

Well, not just that - you've only got him under contract for one year. There's a very reasonable chance he wouldn't agree to an extension, and you could lose him after just one year.

Franchise tag.

Franchise tag.
Pay him 20m+ for one season of sitting on the bench? Then he'd leave the next year. I guess you could just franchise hmm forever to keep him.

Pay him 20m+ for one season of sitting on the bench? Then he'd leave the next year. I guess you could just franchise hmm forever to keep him.

They're not talking about the Patriots, they're talking about a team trading for Jimmy. The comment was that the trader would only have him under contract for one year, and he could easily refuse an extension and leave as a FA, and the team would have wasted a 1st rounder.

The reality is that any QB who shows anything decent would be franchised twice if necessary. So if Jimmy plays well, the team would essentially have him under control for 3 years minimum, the first year for cheap money, year 2 for 20 mil, and year 3 for 24 mil. Wouldn't be the worst thing to happen for either the team or Garappolo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes