Welcome to PatsFans.com

LOL -Will This Globe Sportswriter Get Fired?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by shmessy, Aug 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  2. Gwedd

Gwedd PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

How DARE he not toe the party line? Burn him! Cast him from the parapets! :rocker:

Shame for a man to suffer such castigation for speaking the truth.....
  3. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0

But...But.... This is a Red Sox town.

Half the broadcast media are crapping their pants because their football analysis skills don't go beyond "Brady looked really sharp out there" and "You gotta catch that ball". Talking baseball is easier because stats means something and arguing things like line ups and BS trade talk can take up hours or days of talk.

Personally, I think the Pats were probably more popular than the Sox for a while, but the media doesn't want the shift to happen.
  4. betterthanthealternative

betterthanthealternative Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Maybe the Red Sox should recognize that everything about them is a parody of what it used to be. The team, the management, the TV and radio announcers, EVERYTHING is a joke at this point.
  5. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +93 / 2 / -2

#24 Jersey

Not surprising. The Sux are terrible this year and they have an idiot for a manager.
  6. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +89 / 3 / -1

Disable Jersey

Shaughnessy (today) and Massarotti (yesterday) were fully accepting of the survey and thought it showed just how bad a job the Red Sox ownership has been doing lately.
  7. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0

Disable Jersey

BankofAmericaSox brand is receiving a serious pummeling even in New England. Well deserved on and off the field. Good luck, RKO employees.

EDIT: EEI employees. My bad.
  8. BradfordPatsFan

BradfordPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I tried, TRIED to listen to Felger and Mazz (with Jermaine Wiggins) yesterday and it was painful. Felger does get football but he knows the average listener doesn't want a ton of x's and o's talk and he would rather focus on the sensationalistic stuff while Wiggy has been hit in the head far too often but does make a point here or there. Then there is Mazz, ho-ly cow. Someone take him out back and shoot him.

My absolute favorite moment on 98.5 during the Super Bowl run last year was an ad for F&M with a sputtering Tony going off on the team during the pre-season, "how about finding some football players and winning some games!" It aired at least five times a day during last year's 13-3, AFC Championship season. Nothing exemplifies the lowest common denominator that is sports talk radio than that quote right there.
  9. Rob0729

Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0

Mazz accepted the survey because the same survey said that Felger and Mazz was the best local radio program and him the third favorite radio personality after Gil Santos and Gerry Callahan.
  10. Ivan

Ivan Rookie

Ratings:
    +22 / 4 / -4

If you listen to WEEI it most definitely is a Red Sox town. i gave up because they simply cannot stop talking aboiut the Red Sox, and i simply don't care about them. I don't see myself going back at this point, it's useless.
  11. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +89 / 3 / -1

Disable Jersey

Mazz accepted the survey because he and Felger have been saying the same things the survey said.
  12. Rob0729

Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0

I gotta say for a guy who played in the NFL for almost a decade, Wiggins seems to know very little about football.

Felger if he would strip away the d-bag BS would be the best talk show host when it comes talking football. His "cap is crap" type of arguments get in the way of his pretty good football knowledge.

Mazz is Mazz. There is no hope for him.
  13. Rob0729

Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0

I was joking - sort of.

But right now the media will accept any survey that dumps on the Sox. Yet they still will not openly admit that this is no longer a Red Sox town well at least most of them. Felger and Mazz did and compared it to the Bruins' popularity colllapse that took over a decade to happen.
  14. DocHoliday

DocHoliday Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

God, I had hoped I wasn't the only one that felt this way.

Life long New Englander moving into Boston and I have always disliked baseball. Nothing annoys me more than going on the stations and hearing HOURS AND HOURS of Red Sox rehash talk.

How much can you possibly talk about this one team? Don't people get tired? We have other great teams here!

If they talked about them proportionally that'd be okay, but if you listen to the radio you'd get the impression that only the Red Sox exist and some minor league team called the Patriots that deserve maybe 5 min of talk per 2 hours.
  15. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

When the Sox ran their smear campaign on Tito, I was on the brink. When they hired Bobby V, I checked out entirely. They're still my team--I'll be in the stands when they come to Anaheim next week--but they're so unlikable, from ownership to management to the roster itself--that I just can't really be bothered to care too much what happens to them. I wouldn't care about them at all if not for the fact that they were such a large part of my childhood.
  16. BananaRepublican

BananaRepublican Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's about time. And we know which one is more primed to take another championship.

The Sox just aren't a likable team or organization right now. They've done something there that just should never be done. Them and the Jets. Twins.
  17. cmasspatsfan

cmasspatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I think theres more Sox talk now because its baseball season and the team is a soap opera, they both talk football during football season, its usually the only time I really listen to the two sports talk shows is during football season, they pretty much both suck but where else are you going to hear football talk.
  18. olschool

olschool Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Having grown up across the street from a Sox fanatic, who was baseball 24/7 year round, it's obvious that the insane hardcore fans that keep showing up at Fenway no matter what, are enough to keep the phones lit up on talk radio, much to the annoyance of everyone else.

My response is the off switch, I don't need no stinkin' Sox talk.
  19. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I'm surprised the Sox are even the second most popular team in this town with the Bruins one year removed from a title, and the Celts giving King James a run for his money.

Heck, I hate soccer, and I'd probably rather see the Revolution succeed before the group of jackasses that is the 2012 Boston Red Sox.

I used to be a diehard Sox fan, but this team is beyond un-rootable. I now actively root against them in the hopes of it spurring some form of change. And at this point, the brand feels so tarnished, I'm in no hurry to even want to care about them. Everything about this team should make Sox fans blood boil, and whoever is still rooting for this squad to have their bad habits rewarded with victories should reconsider.

I pretty much hated the Sox team last year, and since then I went from just being ambivalent to their fate to now just hoping they lose. Maybe some good will come of it. The team is a mess. The players, the ownership, the entire culture, the fanbase.
  20. BradfordPatsFan

BradfordPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

As I've posted before, I'm a baseball fan and split sox season tickets with a few people but if you tune in or go to Fenway, there are more empty seats than 10 years ago, viewership has declined over the last month or two, and tickets can be had on StubHub and other second hand sites for under $10. Personally, I couldn't sell tickets to a Sox-Yankees Saturday night game a few weeks ago until almost the last minute. All signs that fans are dissatisfied.

I am not surprised either. Once ownership overstepped their baseball people in the front office, this kind of season was bound to happen.

You could see this coming a mile away. Before spring training ever started, the team did not try to sell the "team", rather they sold the ballpark, the 100th anniversary, the logo, Wally, bricks, books, etc. No talking about the product on the field, it was all about the "brand."

I don't blame it all on Valentine, whom I was not a fan of before the hiring. Some blame goes to him but also to the players for not sucking it up and just playing the game. However, a lot of this may have been avoided if the baseball operations staff was allowed to do its job in naming the next manager or if Bobby were allowed to name his own staff. Neither happened and the season has been a divided one. The local media has also gotten scooped on some major story lines by national writers which should never happen. In all, no one associated with this team is blame free for how this team looks right now.
  21. Nordberg

Nordberg Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I wouldn't mind a bit of Sox talk it they talked about you know.....baseball. But.....it's always off the field garbage that I can't stand.

Whenever I hear "clubhouse" I think of a bunch of kids fighting over a fort you build in the neighborhood when you were twelve

"Clubhouse".....I *ucking hate that word now.

Even the word "manager" is used instead of coach (game planning)

Cause baseball isn't about game planning.....it's about "managing" ego's in the "clubouse"

God I *ucking hate baseball
  22. lurker1965

lurker1965 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

It makes me think of this

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eRfhbEUkg7o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

if it doesn't embed, Carlin Football vs. Baseball
  23. RhodyPatriot

RhodyPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The Patriots are more popular now because they've been consistently good for a decade.
    The key word is NOW.
    When Belichick and Brady go away and this is an 8 - 8 football team you'll see those poll numbers change. The numbers were different 5 years ago and they'll be different 5 years from now.
    IMO this is primarily a baseball/hockey region.
  24. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

According to the Sweet Caroline "Warner World" Pink Hats, it aint over until the
    fat lady sings....

Maybe they shoiuld open their eyes....

Attached Files:

• barr.jpg
      barr.jpg
      File size:
      12.7 KB
      Views:
  25. MP-Logick

MP-Logick Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

According to that survey the top 5 most popular players on the Patriots, are in order:

1. Wes Welker
    2. Tom Brady
    3. Vince Wilfork
    4. Rob Gronkowski
    5. Patrick Chung :confused:
  26. Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

[​IMG]
  27. RhodyPatriot

RhodyPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This was an online survey and it's pretty funny.

Wes Welker is the most admired Patriot player??

I can see that because us common folk can relate to a short, slow yet very successful NFL receiver.

Jacoby Ellsbury is the most admired Sox player?? :confused:

Ellsbury is an oft injured underachieving diva who's had one terrific year in his entire career and is pretty lousy this season.

Bruins' Jeremy Jacobs is the 2nd most admired owner?? :eek:

What?? Guy thieved from us fans for years, only spent money after a cap was introduced and has done little over the past 3 decades to give back to this community.

Gil Santos is the favorite radio personality??? :rolleyes:

Come on. Love Gil but come on.....

.......and my favorite

Question was Top 5 possible improvement for the Bruins
    (these were write-in responses only)

#1 improvement Bruin fans want to see this year??? --- more/better/stronger promotions/packaging

WHAT??????????????? HUH?????????????? :D
    Bruins fans want their team marketed better??
    That's what Bruin fans, the most hardcore Boston fanbase, are concerned about?? Team promotion??????? :rofl:

Wouldn't put much if any stock in this thing.
    Been hilarious to read though.
  28. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0

#61 Jersey

Baseball is falling into anachronism. Aside from that, the Patriots have pretty much been No. 1 outside the Route 95 beltway for the past 20 years. And even without BB and Brady, I think the Pats will continue to be an upper-echelon team because of superior ownership.
  29. Rob0729

Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0

I think you are wrong. This town has always been streaky in terms of which team was king. The Bruins, Celtics, and Sox each have had their chance at the pole position and now it is the Pats' turn.

One thing that the Pats have going for them that none of the other teams have right now is the overwhelming popularity of the NFL. The NFL eclipses all the other sports combined while baseball is a dying sport in most of the country, the NBA has dwindled in regionality, and the NHL is another lockout from turning off the fans. Kids are growing up football fans more than baseball fans.

I think the Pats will be the biggest sport in this town for a while. I would say at least for the next 5-10 years. I think the Bruins are closer to the one bad season until people jump ship than the Pats.

I think the Red Sox popularity has been waning for a while now and the problems in recent years has accelerated the decline. I think people lost interest in them after they won their championships and the pink hats started to infest the park to sing "Sweet Caroline" rather than watch the game. I think in some bizarre way the curse fueled the fans.
  30. zoostation

zoostation Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Football know nothing and Patriot hater Massarotti is so emotional over the Red Sox slide that I actually thought he was going to cry a few days ago while discussing his anger. If he put 10% of that passion towards the Pats I would almost be able to live with the fact that he is clueless when it comes to the NFL
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.