PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

LOL! The League forgot to sign the paperwork on their lawsuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
My favorite: "It is almost impossible to get a decision out of him"....

I hope that means he's lazy which may increase our chances of him letting another court handle it; namely, the one our side picks.

I just downloaded the NFl documents from Pacer. 5 Page sheet with key element

COUNT 1 – CONFIRMATION OF ARBITRATION AWARD
1. The NFL Management Council repeats and re-alleges Paragraphs 1-14 as if set forth fully herein.
2. The NFL Management Council seeks an order confirming the Decision under well-established principles of federal labor law. The Decision was issued in full accord with the parties’ CBA and draws its essence from the parties’ agreements, as it interprets the terms of the CBA and Brady’s NFL Player Contract.
3. The NFL Management Council is entitled to confirmation and enforcement of the Decision and entry of judgment in conformity of the Decision pursuant to the Labor Management Relations Act, 29 U.S.C. § 185.

PRAYER FOR RELIEF WHEREFORE, the NFL Management Council respectfully requests that this Court enter an Order:
(a) Confirming the Decision; Case 1:15-cv-05916-RMB Document 1 Filed 07/28/15 Page 4 of 5 5 (b) Entering judgment in favor of the NFL Management Council against the NFLPA; and (c) Providing the NFL Management Council with such other and further relief as the Court deems proper.

Then they attach the CBA as a 27 page attachment.

Last edited:
The top of the 5 pages is

This is an action to confirm an arbitration award pursuant to Section 301 of the Labor Management Relations Act, 29 U.S.C. §§ 185 et seq. JURISDICTION AND VENUE
1. This Court has subject matter jurisdiction over this matter under 28 U.S.C. § 1331 and 29 U.S.C. § 185. 2. Venue is proper in this District pursuant to 29 U.S.C. § 185(a) and 28 U.S.C. § 1391. PARTIES
3. The National Football League Management Council (“NFL Management Council”) is the sole and exclusive bargaining representative of present and future employer member clubs of the NFL. The NFL Management Council’s principal place of business is in New York, New York.
4. The National Football League Players Association (“NFLPA”) is the exclusive bargaining representative of all NFL Players. The Players Association regularly represents players in the Southern District of New York, and some of its members reside in this judicial district. FACTS
5. The parties are bound by a Collective Bargaining Agreement (“CBA”) negotiated between the NFL Management Council (on behalf of the NFL member clubs) and the NFLPA (on behalf of all NFL players). Relevant portions of the CBA are attached hereto as Exhibit A.
6. Article 46 of the CBA expressly acknowledges the authority of the NFL Commissioner to discipline players for conduct that he determines is “detrimental to the integrity of, or public confidence in, the game of professional football[.]” See Ex. A, Art. 46, § 1(a). Case 1:15-cv-05916-RMB Document 1 Filed 07/28/15 Page 2 of 5 3
7. Paragraph 15 of the standard NFL Player Contract, which is part of the CBA, further acknowledges the Commissioner’s authority to discipline players for engaging in “conduct detrimental to the integrity of, or public confidence in, the game of professional football” including where they engage in conduct that impairs “public confidence in the honest and orderly conduct of NFL games” or “the integrity and good character of NFL players.” CBA, App. A, ¶ 15. The Commissioner’s disciplinary authority over integrity-of-the-game matters specifically includes the right to suspend players for a definite period or indefinitely. See id.
8. “All disputes” over discipline imposed by the Commissioner for conduct detrimental to the league must be resolved exclusively under the final and binding appeal procedures set forth in Article 46 of the CBA. Under Article 46, players have the right to appeal their discipline at a hearing at which the Commissioner may preside “at his discretion.” See Ex. A, Art. 46.
9. On May 11, 2015, the NFL notified New England Patriots quarterback Thomas Brady that, pursuant to the Commissioner’s authority under Article 46 of the CBA, he will be suspended without pay for the first four games of the 2015 NFL regular season games for engaging in conduct detrimental to the integrity of and public confidence in the game of professional football. As set forth in the letter from the NFL informing Brady of the discipline, the suspension is based on his role in the deflation of the Patriots’ footballs during the AFC Championship Game and his failure to fully and candidly cooperate with the NFL’s investigation into the matter.
10. On May 14, 2015, the NFLPA appealed Brady’s suspension pursuant to Article 46 of the CBA. Case 1:15-cv-05916-RMB Document 1 Filed 07/28/15 Page 3 of 5 4
11. On June 23, 2015, a hearing was held before NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell at the NFL Management Council’s offices located at 345 Park Avenue, New York, New York 10154.
12. On July 28, 2015, the Commissioner issued a final written decision on the NFLPA’s appeal of Brady’s suspension (“Decision”), which is attached hereto as Exhibit B.
13. The Decision denied the NFLPA’s appeal and confirmed Brady’s suspension.
14. Under the CBA, the Decision constitutes the “full, final and complete disposition of the dispute and will be binding upon the player(s), Club(s) and parties to this Agreement[.]” Ex. A, art. 46, § 2(d). COU

I actually thought last night the NFLPA should immediately file in Minnesota to argue against the "first dibs" rule. Now I really wish they had. This was a tremendous opportunity lost. :(

The top of the 5 pages is

This is an action to confirm an arbitration award pursuant to Section 301 of the Labor Management Relations Act, 29 U.S.C. §§ 185 et seq. JURISDICTION AND VENUE
1. This Court has subject matter jurisdiction over this matter under 28 U.S.C. § 1331 and 29 U.S.C. § 185. 2. Venue is proper in this District pursuant to 29 U.S.C. § 185(a) and 28 U.S.C. § 1391. PARTIES
3. The National Football League Management Council (“NFL Management Council”) is the sole and exclusive bargaining representative of present and future employer member clubs of the NFL. The NFL Management Council’s principal place of business is in New York, New York.
4. The National Football League Players Association (“NFLPA”) is the exclusive bargaining representative of all NFL Players. The Players Association regularly represents players in the Southern District of New York, and some of its members reside in this judicial district. FACTS
5. The parties are bound by a Collective Bargaining Agreement (“CBA”) negotiated between the NFL Management Council (on behalf of the NFL member clubs) and the NFLPA (on behalf of all NFL players). Relevant portions of the CBA are attached hereto as Exhibit A.
6. Article 46 of the CBA expressly acknowledges the authority of the NFL Commissioner to discipline players for conduct that he determines is “detrimental to the integrity of, or public confidence in, the game of professional football[.]” See Ex. A, Art. 46, § 1(a). Case 1:15-cv-05916-RMB Document 1 Filed 07/28/15 Page 2 of 5 3
7. Paragraph 15 of the standard NFL Player Contract, which is part of the CBA, further acknowledges the Commissioner’s authority to discipline players for engaging in “conduct detrimental to the integrity of, or public confidence in, the game of professional football” including where they engage in conduct that impairs “public confidence in the honest and orderly conduct of NFL games” or “the integrity and good character of NFL players.” CBA, App. A, ¶ 15. The Commissioner’s disciplinary authority over integrity-of-the-game matters specifically includes the right to suspend players for a definite period or indefinitely. See id.
8. “All disputes” over discipline imposed by the Commissioner for conduct detrimental to the league must be resolved exclusively under the final and binding appeal procedures set forth in Article 46 of the CBA. Under Article 46, players have the right to appeal their discipline at a hearing at which the Commissioner may preside “at his discretion.” See Ex. A, Art. 46.
9. On May 11, 2015, the NFL notified New England Patriots quarterback Thomas Brady that, pursuant to the Commissioner’s authority under Article 46 of the CBA, he will be suspended without pay for the first four games of the 2015 NFL regular season games for engaging in conduct detrimental to the integrity of and public confidence in the game of professional football. As set forth in the letter from the NFL informing Brady of the discipline, the suspension is based on his role in the deflation of the Patriots’ footballs during the AFC Championship Game and his failure to fully and candidly cooperate with the NFL’s investigation into the matter.
10. On May 14, 2015, the NFLPA appealed Brady’s suspension pursuant to Article 46 of the CBA. Case 1:15-cv-05916-RMB Document 1 Filed 07/28/15 Page 3 of 5 4
11. On June 23, 2015, a hearing was held before NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell at the NFL Management Council’s offices located at 345 Park Avenue, New York, New York 10154.
12. On July 28, 2015, the Commissioner issued a final written decision on the NFLPA’s appeal of Brady’s suspension (“Decision”), which is attached hereto as Exhibit B.
13. The Decision denied the NFLPA’s appeal and confirmed Brady’s suspension.
14. Under the CBA, the Decision constitutes the “full, final and complete disposition of the dispute and will be binding upon the player(s), Club(s) and parties to this Agreement[.]” Ex. A, art. 46, § 2(d). COU

Under #9 wouldn't the NFLPA be able to challenge how the NFL* came to the determination that Brady engaged in conduct detrimental to the integrity of and public confidence in the game of professional football?

Or can Goodell just say the league determined it to be true and not have show how they determined it?

Isn't that all part of the process?

The Players Association regularly represents players in the Southern District of New York, and some of its members reside in this judicial district.

Sorry, this one just struck me.

Not a single one of its members WORK in the Southern District of New York...and I thought this was a labor case.

I actually thought last night the NFLPA should immediately file in Minnesota to argue against the "first dibs" rule. Now I really wish they had. This was a tremendous opportunity lost. :(

First to file rule is a principle of civil procedure that provides that when two suits are brought by the same parties, regarding the same issues, in two courts of proper jurisdiction, the court that first acquires jurisdiction usually retains the suit, to the exclusion of the other court. However, if the first-filed suit is brought merely in anticipation of the true plaintiff's suit and amounts to an improper attempt at forum-shopping then second filed suit becomes effective.

First to file rule also refers to the doctrine allowing a party to a previously filed lawsuit to enjoin another from pursuing a later-filed action.

http://definitions.uslegal.com/f/first-to-file-rule/

In bold is being done.

OTOH, if "Legal Team Brady" manages to convince the court to dismiss the "first filing" and given them the venue of their choice that would be a great start. It would suggest that "Legal Team NFL/Goodell" is running scared and acting in bad faith.

I just heard on WEEI that the league has to re-file their lawsuit because whoever filed it forgot to sign the paperwork before submitting it. If I am the NFLPA, I am running up the steps of the MN courthouse to be first to file.
Classic, this is right out of the Jest organization hand book which with goodell and his minions were trained with.

Just when you think it couldn't get any dumber.

I also assume the NFLPA couldn't file until the arbitration ruling was announced and only the NFL* knew when it would be announced and thus have an unfair advantage by knowing the timing and being able to have all of their ducks in a row.

Michael McCann said the NFLPA have a good argument vs. the file first rule because the NFL clearly filed first only because they knew that the NFLPA will file in MN and the NFL wanted a more favorable venue.

Michael McCann said the NFLPA have a good argument vs. the file first rule because the NFL clearly filed first only because they knew that the NFLPA will file in MN and the NFL wanted a more favorable venue.
I would claim the NFL only suspected where the NFLPA would file.

Why does Minnesota have Jurisdiction here? I could see Mass, NY, DC, but Minnesota doesn't make any sense to me. I understand why the NFLPA wants it there, but not why the court would have jurisdiction on this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes