Welcome to PatsFans.com

LOL - Southern Baptist Convention's Richard Land PRAISES Obama family values!

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DisgruntledTunaFan, Jan 8, 2010.

1. DisgruntledTunaFan

DisgruntledTunaFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Southern Baptist Convention's Richard Land Praises Obama Family Values
    April 02, 2009 03:11 PM ET | Dan Gilgoff | Permanent Link | Print
    By Dan Gilgoff, God & Country

I spoke today with Richard Land, public policy chief of the Southern Baptist Convention—the nation's largest evangelical denomination—and was struck by his praise of President Obama for living out "family values":

Not enough religious conservatives are saying this: It's terribly important that [Obama] gives every indication of being a moral man who is demonstrably fond of his wife and children. I think that's important in a president, be it a Democrat or a Republican. That's why I said I couldn't vote for Giuliani or Gingrich. I think [Obama's] making a real difference in this country in his example as a model father and husband.

So much of George W. Bush's bond with evangelicals was about a personal, faith-based connection that transcended politics. Could the same thing happen with Obama and family-values voters?

On a related note: This doesn't auger well for Newt's new effort to organize religious conservatives.
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

I think Obama is living liberal values. "Family values," as meant by conservative religious groups, usually refers to homophobia, sexism, anti-Muslim and atheist beliefs, and intolerance for anyone who doesn't hold a Victorian view of the family.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

Liberal values like whizzing on religion, and stereotyping, or hating on anyone that doesn't see the world as you do? Just like you pretty much just did. Those are some awesome values Patters!

To everyone else, the point is there are hypocrites and retards in every group. Patters likes to think that his groups poop is different than everyone else's, while he does the exact same things he's callng out those others for.
  4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

I don't think liberals are any more perfect than anyone else, but liberals tend to be tolerant of far more different groups than are conservatives. The fact is conservative evangelicals for the most part really are anti-gay, believe women should have a different role in the house, and believe that atheists should not be allowed in positions of importance. Do I need to find you links to prove that? Liberals do tend to stereotype conservative religious people in other ways, though, and often believe those people are insincere and acting out of hate. I do not believe that, in part because I know people from all walks of life, including people who are very conservative and devout.
  5. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

Such anger.
  6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

Who's angry? I'm just pointing out how hypocritical some people are.
  7. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +477 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

Vera Baker Says Hello

[​IMG]
  8. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

It's no secret how I feel about his politics, but.....

I don't see much wrong with this statement. Obama does give "every indication of being a moral man who is demonstrably fond of his wife and children". I think that is admirable.

Then again, so did Tiger. :rolleyes:

I give him the doubt until proven otherwise, but he is a politician and we all know how that generally works. Still, nothing wrong at all with the article for my money.
  9. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Actually, "liberal values" means any and all activities, no matter how perverse or deviant, are to be accepted and welcomed with open arms. It means absolutely nothing is off limits because anytime you say something should be off limits, you are accused of "imposing your value system on others." It also includes a complete intolerance of and hatred for any sort of religious activity or display.
  10. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Well, he may like the President's family values, but he sure doesn't seem to like his policies........
    POLITICO Forums:Family Values: Obamacare Compared to Nazis by Southern Baptist Leader - POLITICO.com

Obamacare Compared to Nazis by Southern Baptist Leader

[FONT=&quot]Oct. 17 (EIRNS)—On Sept 26, Richard Land, the head of the Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention, compared the Obama health-care program to the policies of the Nazis. "I want to put it to you bluntly," Land told a banquet of the Christian Coalition in Florida, on the night before Yom Kippur (the Jewish Day of Atonement), "What they are attempting to do in health care, particularly in treating the elderly, is not something like what the Nazis did. It is precisely what the Nazis did! Let's remember, the first 10,000 victims of the Holocaust were not Jews, they were mentally handicapped German children who were gassed and burned in ovens because they were considered to have ... lives unworthy of life." Land then went on to bestow an imaginary "Josef Mengele Award" on Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel for his advocating of rationing.[/FONT]
  11. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Are you aware that you just contradicted yourself? Do you even think before you hit the post button?

Either liberals accept everything or they don't accept everything. There is no in between. If they accept everything then by your own words they have to accept religious beliefs TOO

If you want to slander without sounding clueless then you have to at least claim that liberals only hate some religions.
  12. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +111 / 7 / -10

I don't know a lot about the Southern Baptist. I am surprised that they would feel that someone who voted against a bill to protect Children who survived abortions.

My impression is that the Southern Baptist were pro life. Perhaps I was wrong in this belief.
  13. DisgruntledTunaFan

DisgruntledTunaFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The Southern Baptist Convention has been hijacked by Apostates(i.e. Rick Warren and Beth Moore) and Freemasons(i.e. Billy Graham) over the last 50 years or so - the bible warned how a little leaven would leaventh the WHOLE lump. So color me surprised that the SBC has become crippled recently. Even my mom's close friends who has family that works at one of the seminaries has expressed concern for quite some time now. I'm talking about the SBC here, NOT Baptists.

As for the previous poster who said Land came out opposing Obama's health care - color me surprised too. For one, Land is CFR(look it up - this is the shadow government in DC that is pushing for a one world government, they are agents of Satan - Republicans and Democrats alike are part of this group), and will do everything he can possible to be deceptive, even if it means being double-minded on alot of issues. This man also staunchly supported Bush and Cheney's neocon agendas.
  14. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

par⋅a⋅dox  /ˈpærəˌdɒks/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [par-uh-doks]

–noun 1. a statement or proposition that seems self-contradictory or absurd but in reality expresses a possible truth.

(source: dictionary.com)
  15. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  16. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

It is obvious that the right does not understand the whole concept of family values... if they did they would have been silent, you can criticize Obama on a lot of fronts, but this is probably not one of them...

Posting Jeremiah Wright compilation videos is epic fail.. encourage you to keep trying though...
  17. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +287 / 5 / -8

Sounds like the guy is an idiot as regards the Holocaust. The hyperbole he and the rest of the frothing right engage in for the sake of their own biased agendas always goes straight from zero to aushwitz in 6.2 seconds, and it trivializes the memories of millions of people.

It just so happens that he thinks Obama gets high marks for his own version of family values, because there's no whiff of scandal as yet, but I'm sure if he does a tenth of what Land's allies have been doing so regularly, he'll characterize it not just as straying, but as somehow Nazi straying.

As to this notion of what "liberal family values" means, Wolf is close to correct. The word "liberal" derives from the same root as "liberty," and liberals tend to think that families come in all shapes and sizes, and that neither the state nor some favored religion has the right to dictate pair-bonding or family-formation behavior without a compelling reason to do so.

Now, since I know my pals on the right love to say that means you can marry farm animals--and as I understand it, in the red states that is a consumnation devoutly to be wished, to coin a phrase--liberals also insist that one compelling interest the state has is consent among the parties in question. So liberals do not like the idea that you can marry cattle or abuse children, and liberals do not like rape, whether here or abroad. Liberals do not vote in favor of a company's immunity from charges deriving from their employees' rape of female employees... just for example. See, because consent of parties concerned is important, liberals fight for the maximum latitude within a framework of mutual consent.

That's fancy language for letting people do what they want with each other, but not to each other. Where one party wants to force his or her desires on others, that's where the state is supposed to step in, in liberal-land. Otherwise, family values is a matter of allowing people to form families without dictating how they do so.

In this regard, religious conservatives prefer the state's intervention, and view it as a necessity that the state act as a proxy for a broad basket of religious organizations.

All we see here is a religious conservative saying that a guy who happens to be a liberal also appears to be a good personal example of the principles by which he believes all families should live. It is not messy. The president is not gay, and does not appear to have an "arrangement" with his wife having to do with mistresses, and does not appear to have a Clintonian tragic flaw in this regard. The best the fringe can come up with is a continuing bleating about the putative possibility that he was really born somewhere other than America. Emphasis on "putative".

PFnV
  18. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Once again will try, but pretty confident that it will once again these efforts will fall upon deaf ears..

Liberal values embrace a wide spectrum of beliefs, aside from believing in the constitution as the highest law of the land and that Democracy is the greatest form of government, there is not much else agreed upon... within the party there are a lot of different views and beliefs. There is no hatred for any religious activity or display, just a respect for how the constitution separates church and state... the best way to visualize it is a confederation of the left..

Conservative values are more focused... no gay marriage, all global warming is bunk, creationism, anti abortion etc. if you deviate then you are automatically labelled a RINO.. if you waiver you run the risk of incurring the wrath of Rush, Beck, Hannity or any of the right wing talking heads.. there is little wiggle room is you have a diverging belief.

Not quite sure ever heard a democrat being called a DINO....
  19. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

Poor fellow, you mean Libertarian.
  20. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +296 / 1 / -9

Wolfpack=Genius

I have Liberals just like that in my family, they drive me nuts.