Welcome to PatsFans.com

LOL Obama - Another Reason Obama Won

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Nov 17, 2012.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,333 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

Seriously ... Obama connects with the younger generation.
    It is what it is Mitt - game is not something that can be learned.

Love this picture.
    Love him or hate him ... Obama has lots of game.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  2. DocHoliday

DocHoliday In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +120 / 2 / -1

Is that Mckay the Gymnast?

3. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,333 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

Yes ... that is her.

4. Hamar

Hamar In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -2

And so the search for the next Monica Lewinski begins!

5. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Barack Obama is to Jackie Robinson as Mitt Romney is to Herbert Hoover (minus the Presidency and ingenuity).

6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +511 / 14 / -28

Remember the effort to humanize Romney, after he was completely dehumanized in the Republican primaries, it was epic fail..

Obama was much easier, one speech by Michelle nailed it.. this picture is the cherry on the sunday.. somehow it will be played by the partisan press, "while Israel is in grave danger, Obama plays in the White House".

7. OMGWTFJUDD

OMGWTFJUDD Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

He get's people and they respond to it.

George W could be engaging (and normal) as well.

I don't think Mitt was a monster, he's was just a bit stiff.

8. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,333 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

I think he was a bit more than a bit stiff ... he is not a natural in front of the camera and in todays political world that helps a ton.

9. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +710 / 11 / -7

Different people saw different things... just about everybody saw "a little stiff..." To me, he just exuded this snottiness toward those "below" his station. Like, he was glad to "engage" us like when the boss gives a speech to the workers just before firing 10% of them, that sort of thing. But no, Mitt would never really consider himself "just communicating on the same level" with us. In this picture, Obama is either doing that act real well, or that's just how he is. Also saw some tape of him w/staffers who had just got engaged... you could tell they were comfortable with actually talking to the big guy. Very different vibe from the usual fear-driven interactions with the ego at the top.

10. OMGWTFJUDD

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Obama being so comfortable with the camera and people, magnified Mitts shortcomings in the same areas.

Against someone like Kerry, Gore, or even Hillary the contrast may not have been so stark.

11. OMGWTFJUDD

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Now that you mention it, he did remind me of the old chairman of a company I used to work for. Every year they'd wheel him out in December to do a tour of the branches around the country.

He'd meet and greet and share some burnt BBQ'd offerings served on paper plates and play at being interested in your life for the 2 minutes you got stuck with him (or him with you).

I'm sure he was a nice guy and he ran a pretty good business (apart from all those people dying from asbestos related diseases), but he came from money and when he left the building he went back to it. He just thought it was good for morale and necessary in his role as Chairman.

Mitt probably thinks "mucking in" with the common folk is just part of whats required if you want to be king.

12. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,333 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

In some ways Kerry = Mitt as far as the camera is concerned.
    America wants to identify with it's President ... it is what it is.

Mitt might have ... maybe ... garnered a few more votes with a more normal VP ... like a Biden.

13. OMGWTFJUDD

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yes, Ryan seemed a strange bird from 11,500 miles away. Up close he must have looked straight out weird.:)

14. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +710 / 11 / -7

Biden gaffs are usually F-bombs or flourishes of emotion... people forgive those. Showing the capacity for empathy of a serial killer is sort of a turnoff at the polls.

But I think the bigger problem was that Rmoney was trying to run on the "we hate the voters" platform of the republican party. How are you going to say Latinos have to self-deport, and win the Latino vote? You can't just say "the legal ones should vote for us, by our rationale." That's not their rationale. For Latinos in America, someone at their church or in their family or in their neighbor's family would be gone. And then you want to print materials in Spanish telling people to vote in the wrong place or on the wrong day? And you want to insist that everybody need a photo ID, which is much more of a pain to get the lower down the economic ladder you are.... i.e., it affects black and brown people more than white people? The ultimate outcome was people were sick of being kicked in the gonads.

Step 1 in the pubbie 12-step program should be "admit you have a problem." Step 2 should be "stop kicking the voters in the nuts." Then you can get to the fine points of whether pubbie candidates seem wooden in front of the camera.

No pubbie has carried the popular vote twice since Reagan, and only one -- barely -- has won the popular vote at all since GHW Bush.

And the demographics aren't going to get any better for pubbies. I saw one the other night saying "Aha! The young people in 2008 are 4 years older now, and they'll be 6 years older by 2014!"

I think they tell themselves the same old hoary chestnuts over and over again... that "anybody who's not a liberal at 20 has no heart, and anybody who's not a conservative at 30 has no brain." Shlitz like that.

I was fairly liberal at 20 and if anything am more so at 50, specifically because conservative viewpoints seem so divorced from realities, mine or anybody else's.

This is more of the Pubbie allergy to fact-based analysis. "My theory should win, by my own a priori estimation, and therefore that can't be the problem."

It took the Dems from 1972 to "triangulation" theory in 1992 to really get over the era of the Kennedys (you'll notice that their final exit from presidential ambitions only really happened w/the rise of Clinton.) Similarly, the pubbies' messiah figure isn't coming back, and neither are the 1980s. In addition, we are all beginning to see the ruin Reagan set up for this nation through his belief in magic in fiscal matters.

Now it seems the only reason we didn't have a nuclear war in the Reagan era of sabre-rattling was "dereliction of duty" from a Soviet missile guy.

Thank God Reagan pulled back from his jingoism after viewing a liberal movie about nuclear war, and pulled back from his "never tax anybody ever" theory after negotiations with Tip O'Neill et al.

But in terms of Reagan and Latin Americans? He passed amnesty for 3 million of them, and said in speeches of the U.S., "if it must have walls, let it have doors..." or somesuch.

The conservatives have set themselves firmly and brittly in stone, believing that the harder the stone, the more durable the movement. There are some signs that the long-awaited "come to Jesus" moment that Dems always recognize is finally here for the pubbies. If I'm a pubbie, I'm hoping so. I'm hoping they cave and understand their role as holding one house in Congress and not holding the presidency.

America's on to them. If they don't get it, and treat their present problem as a PR concern rather than a deep dysfunction, they're missing step 1. You know... admitting you have a problem.

PFnV

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  15. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +618 / 12 / -5

#24 Jersey

I've heard that talking point more than a few times in the last two weeks. They seem to be saying, "Well, fine, the young ones voted for Obama this time but they'll be 4 years older next time and then they'll vote for us."

That's fine - maybe some of them will - but what they seem to be ignoring is the fact that there will be a whole NEW crop of 18-24 year olds in four years to replace those who've "aged out" of liberalism. And even more of them are going to be non-white voters than there were this time around. And, meanwhile, the Republican base, those "older voters" that they depend on - some of them are going to be, well, no nice way to put it, they're going to be dead.

The age of the voters is an equal out situation for the Republicans at best - in the worse situation it means there will be more new, non-white under 25 voters, more dead 75+ voters and the "aged out" 25+ voters will not replace either of those demographics in sufficient numbers to improve the Republican chances - in fact, it will work in the opposite direction and they will be hurt even worse.

The demographics aren't going to change to suit the current Republican agenda, the current Republican agenda is going to have to change to suit the demographics.

16. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +808 / 2 / -9

Your right again, the country is slowly being turned over to "The Pop Culture" but it won't last, someday it will self destruct, the new dawn is upon us.
    Kate Smith and her "God Bless America" are both DEAD.

17. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +710 / 11 / -7

[​IMG]

WOLVERINES!!!

:rolleyes:

18. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +511 / 14 / -28

what is interesting is Christie, Jindal and Susana Martinez have made an effort to bring the Republicans out of the stone age, and there has been rebuke..

I hope that they ignore these voices of reason, and instead support Akin, Walsh and the likes of Mourdock

19. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +710 / 11 / -7

William Kristol too, and Michael Steele, and the rest of the crypto-moderates who have only been toeing the line the last few years.

Again, it's a hopeful sign for the "old" (pre-teabagger) Republican party. I am not sure that I don't want a Republican party with coherent arguments. It sounds corny, but I think the balance we get even out of the messy process we're once again going through has served a purpose in the American experiment. It was designed to be frustrating and very hard to push through any radical agenda. I think this is the face of that initial genius (or for the zealots, design flaw.)

But would I weep any salt tears if the pubbies spent another election or three in the wilderness? No, not really. I think we need to catch up to where the people are. They're not in the "The times they are a changin' back" supposed populist reaction that was being trumpeted as the new center back in 2010. They want to move forward.

Two or three elections in the wilderness for the pubbies might do this country a world of good.

PFnV

20. Kid~Brady

Kid~Brady In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Maybe, but the republicans have a simple fix: stop insulting people and maybe, just maybe they might stand a chance for once. If you want people to like you, shouldn't you learn to like them first? The party itself has fallen, its based on looking down on everyone else while dodging their own flaws. They have some true soul-searching to do.

Mitt Romney's claim that Obama "bought" the minority voters is another way of NOT admitting his campaign sucked and failed miserably to connect with everyone except rich whites. Romney's demise and overwhelming loss is another display of how far off the republican party has fallen.

Call me crazy but I like Meghan McCain. She's a republican but she has no issue with admitting that they are stuck in another age and needs to learn how to change with society.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012