PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

LOL: Hillis considering giving up NFL for CIA job

Status
Not open for further replies.

BTTA

He/Him
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Please, really, is he living in that kind of fairy tale land?

Report: Hillis pondered retirement, joining CIA | National Football Post

A guy is going to give up the money and excitement of football for an anonymous desk job at the CIA? Or is he really that ignorant of reality to think that, with 10,000 photos of his face on the internet, he could declare his intentions publicly and then be eligible to be one of the .5% of CIA employees who have a covert field role?

To play devil's advocate, after experiencing four years of hits from every angle on his body via multiple amped up players much larger than he is, witnessing the effects of playing the game on the bodies of veteran teammates, and having banked $1,755,000 with his mind and body intact - and after going through a lot of public abuse from fans and the media this past year - you could also make the argument that walking away would be the most logical and intelligent thing to do.

If his heart's not in it, he's getting criticized from all sides, then who are we to say he shouldn't do something he really wants to do, and say he's foolish for risking his brain and his body for our enjoyment on Sunday afternoons?

Either way, this guy's done a fantastic job of killing his free agent value the past six months.

Hillis is an absolute nut. This is just the latest piece of evidence.

A guy is going to give up the money and excitement of football for an anonymous desk job at the CIA? Or is he really that ignorant of reality to think that, with 10,000 photos of his face on the internet, he could declare his intentions publicly and then be eligible to be one of the .5% of CIA employees who have a covert field role?

You sound completely jealous of him. Perhaps the excitement of playing a meaningless game week in and week out has worn down on him, maybe he thinks on a different level than you do, perhaps he wishes to make a real change in the world. Why hate on him? I can relate this to Pat Tillman, may god rest his soul, if Peyton Hillis wishes to pursue a career in the CIA, more power to him.

You sound completely jealous of him. Perhaps the excitement of playing a meaningless game week in and week out has worn down on him, maybe he thinks on a different level than you do, perhaps he wishes to make a real change in the world. Why hate on him? I can relate this to Pat Tillman, may god rest his soul, if Peyton Hillis wishes to pursue a career in the CIA, more power to him.

A man who died serving his country is related to a one-year wonder RB?

A man who died serving his country is related to a one-year wonder RB?

How many other players have even given this type of commitment a second thought? Oh yeah, that's right, hardly any....they're all too comfortable with their nike and adidas deals to even think about serving their country. In no way am I trying to belittle what Pat Tillman did, I am simply trying to give credit to Hillis for even considering to give up his luxurious lifestyle for one of national security. Believe it or not, there are CIA agents who do not just sit at a desk all day, and I would have to believe that if Peyton Hillis were to join the CIA, his physical abnormalities would be put to good use....

reminds me of tillman

good for him i say

hey at least this isn't mid contract, and he's set to be a free agent

what's the problem?

why the anger?

Hiding in plain sight... like top secret cia assassin Chuck Barris... oh wait, he announced it after he did it...

Good on him I say...he's out of contract, it's his life and he should pursue it how he wishes.

Don't get the initial opening post bashing him.

To play devil's advocate, after experiencing four years of hits from every angle on his body via multiple amped up players much larger than he is, witnessing the effects of playing the game on the bodies of veteran teammates, and having banked $1,755,000 with his mind and body intact - and after going through a lot of public abuse from fans and the media this past year - you could also make the argument that walking away would be the most logical and intelligent thing to do.

If his heart's not in it, he's getting criticized from all sides, then who are we to say he shouldn't do something he really wants to do, and say he's foolish for risking his brain and his body for our enjoyment on Sunday afternoons?

If he wants to walk away from the game because he's got no passion for it, or for his health, then I respect that. But if he's chasing an image of working for the CIA that is substituting NFL excitement for CIA excitement, then he's just a fool. It doesn't exist except for a few dozen people; it is largely a creation of the movie industry.

Just because someone publicy says they are considering something doesn't mean they acutally are. Please don't compare that douchebag to Pat Tillman. Pat Tillman was a true partiot and a hero. Hillis is a fumbling meathead who hits on his boss'es wife.

Last edited:
You sound like an arrogant jackass when you post comments like this.

Perhaps. What I'm responding to is the arrogance and entitlement that's created by the celebrity of professional athletes. There's an assumption that because they play a game with some difficult physical demands and get a lot of adoration for it, that they can just translate that into some other near-mythical vocation and find immediate acceptance and success.

99.8% of the professional work of the CIA is mental, analytical, and incredibly tedious. The physicality of it is about having your body support your mental activity, month after month, year after year. There's no value in being able to move quickly, lift heavy objects, or run long distances. Doing it well requires a mental discipline that far outpaces anything required of an NFL player, with the exception of some of the work done by a few of the elite quarterbacks. It isn't exciting or fun, nor is it dangerous or high paced.

The CIA is full of dedicated professionals who spent a decade or more learning enough to be truly useful. If this guy wants to start at the bottom and ten or twenty years later, find himself making a contribution to national security that he can see and measure, then more power to him. But I seriously doubt that's what he has in mind.

jeez...he doesn't want to join THAT CIA...he means THIS one...in Cleveland..

cia_logo%20%281%29.jpg

he wants to major in bullsh!t

Last edited:
Seems to be a big week for athletes and dreams of this nature. Tiger Woods contemplated quitting golf and becoming a Navy Seal. Now Hillis contemplated quitting football to join the CIA.

Both are noble professions so it doesn't bother me at all they would be interested in what those folks do. The arrogance to think (particularly in Woods case) that these are jobs you simply decide to do one day and sign up for shows them to be more than a bit out of touch.

professional athletes out of touch with reality???

nah...couldn't be....

What's your problem with this? He's a young guy thinking about his options in life, of which he has many...perhaps a lot more options than many folks on this Board who might get jealous of someone like this.

Personally, I wouldn't recognize him if I tripped over him on the street, but I'd leave it to the professionals to decide who can and can't do what job and under which circumstances. If he was good enough for Operations, I'm sure they'd figure a way to make it work...unless you know more about this than the rest of us, in which case you wouldn't be posting a comment on the subject in a public forum.

Last edited:
CIA or DEA

I could see DEA. You know the guy that knocks down doors with a battering ram? Hillis could be the battering ram. Plus, I bet he already has some leads on HGH dealers.

This guy is no Tillman. Just a big dumb animal talking sh!7.

Just because someone publicy says they are considering something doesn't mean they acutally are. Please don't compare that douchebag to Pat Tillman. Pat Tillman was a true partiot and a hero. Hillis is a fumbling meathead who hits on his boss'es wife.

a true patriot and hero that a guy like rick santorum and most republicans would hate

tillman was 100% atheist lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back