PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

lol Bob Ryan - doesn't know how NFL makes its schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure. You just have to find people willing to pay you for them.

I probably need to trash the team and be seen with Dan Shaugnessy though, so no.

On the other hand, times are tough. What does it pay?:D

Neither Tanguay or Shaughnessy corrected him

Well, I am not surprised that the CHB didn't correct his pal Ryan.. Tanguay isn't known for contradicting people either.. Pretty sad..

I probably need to trash the team and be seen with Dan Shaugnessy though, so no.

On the other hand, times are tough. What does it pay?:D

Mike Reiss slobbers all over pretty much everything Patriots, and he gets paid. There's always room for another ballwasher.

The Boston mediots are so depressed their local 9 suck that they don't know what to do with themselves. So most of them will continue to talk off season sissyball (Massoratti/Adams/Meter etc..), then a few will try to pretend.

Can't blame them, with the combination of the older die hards and the recently appointed pinkies.. this town simply loves sissyball.

Almost makes me want to live in a real football town. Say Pittsburgh, Philli or Chi-town. At least if I lived in one of those cites, i'd hear hardcore football talk. And I'd actually probably hear more Patriot talk (good or bad).

Anyway...I'm shutting myself off. Somewhere in here there's a point. :cool:

Looks like Bob Ryan doesn't realize how the NFL schedule is made.

"What's interesting is even after the colts left the division the schedule makers still put them on the schedule every year and now he is Denver and guess what they are (Brady/Manning) playing here again this year"

guy should be banned from talking football
he should be banned from talking any sport. the guy lost his fastball a long time ago.

Mike Reiss slobbers all over pretty much everything Patriots, and he gets paid. There's always room for another ballwasher.

The difference is, he doesn't wonder why Ridley doesn't get called for traveling.

By the way, I do read Reiss because he provides a lot of useful football information. I've never read sportswriters because i wanted to see someone attack the team. I've been following them almost since their inception and i have a pretty good idea when they suck without needing someone to point that out for me.

Using my own intelligence and observational skills, I can compare them to other teams in the league and there are a very few who are competitive year after year in the Belichick era.

If you need writers to tell you that the team or players suck, that's fine if it works for you. I personally don't see the point of it.

Last edited:
Looks like Bob Ryan doesn't realize how the NFL schedule is made.

"What's interesting is even after the colts left the division the schedule makers still put them on the schedule every year and now he is Denver and guess what they are (Brady/Manning) playing here again this year"

guy should be banned from talking football

wow!

who knew bob ryan was completely ******ed

Neither Tanguay or Shaughnessy corrected him

Wow. Apparently they were embarrassed with his mental state/acuity and decided to ignore it.A common courtesy.

I am being serious.

Wow. Apparently they were embarrassed with his mental state/acuity and decided to ignore it.A common courtesy.

I am being serious.

There is another possibility and that is that they didn't know how the schedule is determined either. What was Bobby Knight's famous line about sports writers, " we all learn to write in first grade, most of us move on to do other things."

There is another possibility and that is that they didn't know how the schedule is determined either. What was Bobby Knight's famous line about sports writers, " we all learn to write in first grade, most of us move on to do other things."

Of course, unlike Knight, most children stop throwing tantrums by then also.

If he doesn't know **** about football he shouldn't be commenting on it. Wow.

I don't "know ****," and it doesn't stop me, whatever that means.

Anyway, Bob Ryan was the best basketball writer I've ever read - especially during the Bird-Magic-Dr. J. era. The 76ers never get enough credit for their role as the Celtics chief nemesis in those days and for the unbelievably intense games in the division and sometimes in the playoffs that steeled the Celtics for the Lakers.

Now Ryan's retired and it seems like he's everywhere. He has this clear sense of entitlement that he can pontificate about stuff he knows nothing about and get away with being completely full of crap. He's doing the same in baseball pretending to know John Henry's every thought. John Henry is friggin' Rain Man and is calculating the number of crystals in the packet of Splenda while guys like Ryan talk about the "back stairs" at Fenway where players and statisticians are communicating secretly with Henry.

Ryan is also saying things about BC football that are moronic - they are just bad, haven't recruited blue chippers in years and need to bring in a coach who knows how to use their splendid ACC schedule and TV exposure to build a team.

I am not surprised Shaughnessy did not correct Ryan - he's clearly a baseball guy. Gary Tanguay also let Ryan's comment go because, well, he's too busy thinking about which Munchkins he going to pick up at Dunkin' Donuts on the way home to his troll cave.

Last edited:

One of the best sports media related quotes ever.

I don't "know ****," and it doesn't stop me, whatever that means.

Anyway, Bob Ryan was the best basketball writer I've ever read - especially during the Bird-Magic-Dr. J. era. The 76ers never get enough credit for their role as the Celtics chief nemesis in those days and for the unbelievably intense games in the division and sometimes in the playoffs that steeled the Celtics for the Lakers.

Now Ryan's retired and it seems like he's everywhere. He has this clear sense of entitlement that he can pontificate about stuff he knows nothing about and get away with being completely full of crap. He's doing the same in baseball pretending to know John Henry's every thought. John Henry is friggin' Rain Man and is calculating the number of crystals in the packet of Splenda while guys like Ryan talk about the "back stairs" at Fenway where players and statisticians are communicating secretly with Henry.

Ryan is also saying things about BC football that are moronic - they are just bad, haven't recruited blue chippers in years and need to bring in a coach who knows how to use their splendid ACC schedule and TV exposure to build a team.

I am not surprised Shaughnessy did not correct Ryan - he's clearly a baseball guy. Gary Tanguay also let Ryan's comment go because, well, he's too busy thinking about which Munchkins he going to pick up at Dunkin' Donuts on the way home to his troll cave.

Ryan lost me when he wrote that asinine story about bill belichick needing to win another Superbowl to be considered a great coach again. all because of camera placement during a early season jets game back in 07. after reading that ridiculous rubbish i don't take anything he says serious anymore.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the Pats and Colts in the AFC East at one point, thus the basis for Ryan's comment?

Last edited:
1 ~ Bob Ryan's expertise is BasketBall, not FootBall, so you are certainly correct in questioning his expertise. That's a pretty basic thing ~ the Scheduling Format ~ that any "professional" Writer should make't'is Business to know.

2 ~ And, God knows: Only one of three ~ or less ~ of'is Articles are up to the old Bob Ryan level, these days. Tragically, his Vision has been violated, poisoned, and compromised by the Post Camelot Era of The Pravda's Epic Sports Era, when Bob Ryan in BasketBall, Nick Cafardo in FootBall, Peter Gammons in BaseBall, and a few others ~ Leigh MontVille and Ray FitzGerald come to mind ~ forged an astonishing Era of Excellence in New EngLand SportsWriting.

Alas, King Mordred now rules Camelot ~ The Pravda's Sports Section ~ and it has become...The WasteLands.

But, every once in a while, Ryan casts off the shackles...and provides a fleeting glimpse back to what once was.

I'm grateful that I had the chance to live during those times. The sports memories that I have are incredible, and they were enhanced by some great writing. I can't say what happened exactly, but it's not the same now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes