PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Logan Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ryan was outstanding almost all game. Too bad he and Butler had to fall back to Earth in that last series. Kudos to Brown, as well.
It's funny because I called it earlier in the game when Collinsworth was going on and on about how well Ryan was playing. I said out loud that he was going to give up the first catch to Thomas on the critical drive. And I wasn't saying it as a criticism to Ryan so much as I was just pointing out what I feel is a real phenomenon in sports. It's like when the announcer in basketball talks all game long about someone's free throw shooting and then they miss the one that would have sealed or tied the game. It just happens. I didn't see both Butler and Ryan doing it, though. Man, that was hard to take.

It's hard to see straight right now because so pissed off, but yes, he was terrific.

If the mothereffing injuries would stop for 5 minutes this team would be unstoppable.

The good news is that almost all the key contributors who were out at game's end will be back for the playoffs.

Logan Ryan right now is just as good as Butler and that's saying something the Defense was out there for a while last night because of an anemic Offense. What a jump Logan Ryan as made resign Tarell Brown we have that Rookie already on IR plus Justin Coleman Pats are set at CB for years to come.

Logan Ryan right now is just as good as Butler and that's saying something the Defense was out there for a while last night because of an anemic Offense. What a jump Logan Ryan as made resign Tarell Brown we have that Rookie already on IR plus Justin Coleman Pats are set at CB for years to come.
I'm not sure if he's as good as Butler as Butler has generally been tasked with taking out the opposition's best receiver. They are certainly different. They both cover well and are both solid tacklers, but Ryan is bigger and Butler is faster.

I have been singing Ryan's praises for a while now. It was frustrating watching him play far superior to what Browner gave the Pats last year (with penalties and him being a boom or bust CB) while people on this board and on the radio talked about how much he sucked. It was like they were not watching the games and just thought he sucked because that is what they were programmed to think.

Ryan is have a fantastic season. Not just last night.

Last seasons : seeing Logan scared me. This season : give him credit, been amazing. Hope he continues his excellent play (feels weird using "excellent play" but it's deserved).

If we combined Ryan's technique with Butler's athleticism we would have one Circa 2010 Revis.

As an aside, and maybe this can go in the Butler thread, when we played zone last night he really struggled.

He can be very dependable (a big compliment for a defensive back) but depends on the matchup and how he is used. He was very good yesterday and has been a nice part of the secondary this year as well as his rookie year.

His ball skills make him a very dangerous opponent and that can offset giving up receptions by making QBs pay for wayward passes.

I actually think he's been more consistent than malcolm this season. Nice problem to have!

I think some here are underestimating how our team felt when gronk went down. It hurt the whole team. We win that game had gronk not been carted off.

We needed him to step up this year and so far he's getting it done big time. Not just this game, in the last two month he's playing at very high level.
So many people here wanted to cut him, and I cant say I expected him to be anywhere near this good.

I think some here are underestimating how our team felt when gronk went down. It hurt the whole team. We win that game had gronk not been carted off.

Absolutely.

We aren't talking about a fringe roster guy or a rotational player. This was Gronk and watching him get carted off was a cataclysmic event for everyone to witness. Players. Coaches. Everyone. Especially with the game already going sideways on them.

Even my wife- who is pretty knowledgeable football-watcher said that this has to effect the morale of the entire team. I think she was totally right. There was a letdown for a few minutes there.

BB preaches metal toughness and I get that but people do have limits. I think he understands that which is why he said he was proud of the team after that debacle of a game.

Even with everything going against them to drive down the field and tie it? Incredible.

It proved that they are still the NFL's version of Rocky Balboa.

I'm glad to have been wrong about Logan Ryan.

I've never been a hater, because I never hate guys just for being not quite as good as I would wish them to be. But yeah -- those Rutgers guys seem to be working out pretty well.

I have been singing Ryan's praises for a while now. It was frustrating watching him play far superior to what Browner gave the Pats last year (with penalties and him being a boom or bust CB) while people on this board and on the radio talked about how much he sucked. It was like they were not watching the games and just thought he sucked because that is what they were programmed to think.

Ryan is have a fantastic season. Not just last night.
I normally see your point, Rob, but this is one where I have to disagree. Browner was very feast or famine, but I don't buy in the least that Logan outplayed him at any point in time last season. Ryan struggled ALL season and most of TC by multiple accounts almost on a daily basis. In fact, his performance for the better part of the last 1 1/2 months has been a bit of a surprise, and a lot of people feel that way. It's a welcomed surprise, but a bit of a surprise nonetheless. I'm not saying you were necessarily wrong for staying on his bandwagon before most of the rest of us saw the re-emergence, but to say he outplayed Browner, who was never benched and made some critical plays in the SB, is a stretch. Ryan absolutely had a sophomore slump and didn't start the season on a particularly high note.

With all that said, he's been playing his ass off and, though it might sound like I'm taking away from him, he benefited from D. Thomas being the soft football player that he is. He has no business being talked about with the league's elite receivers. As soft and overrated as Felger thinks A.J. Green, I think Thomas is more so on both counts. He's a cupcake and does not deserve top dollar. He's not even the best receiver on his team. Sanders gets that distinction because he makes more plays, more spectacular plays, plays through injury AND shows up in the clutch. I'm extremely happy with LaFell, but I would have been happy to have Sanders too (and it was very close).

I normally see your point, Rob, but this is one where I have to disagree. Browner was very feast or famine, but I don't buy in the least that Logan outplayed him at any point in time last season.

I believe he was comparing Ryan's play (this year) to Browner's (last year).

Was a STUD out there last night...should have gotten the game ball IMO

I believe he was comparing Ryan's play (this year) to Browner's (last year).
Oh, I read it as both being compared based on last season. If I read that wrong, then I owe Rob an apology. Comparing a guy's performance from one year to another is a slippery slope though. Nonetheless, sorry if I misconstrued anything, Rob.

According to nfl.com he has 16 PDef this year.

Darby- 21
Gilmore- 21
Amerson- 20
Peters- 20
House- 20
Mathieu- 18
Norman- 19
Jenkins- 16
Joseph- 16
Ryan- 16

Butler has 13.

Here's an honest question. Who do people feel is having a better season between Butler and Ryan?

I think comparing Butler and Ryan this year is difficult. If you go by the pure numbers, Ryan has been better. But they're tasked with far different jobs by the coaching staff. Butler has been matched up 1 on 1 with #1 receivers, often without safety help, while Ryan has usually covered #2 receivers and generally has received more safety help as well. He did cover Thomas 1 on 1 often last week, but that was to me his best game of the season by far. I think they have both been good and are definitely good enough to win a Super Bowl with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back