PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Logan Mankins Traded

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the hate! Most people don't realize that the Patriots have rebuilt already. They're a young team. They just did it without going in to tank mode or having a down year. They went to the SB (2011) during their reubuilding year!

LOL how much must that hurt for a JEST fan, having "rebuilt" with GeNO & company... their "win now" mode is "Please let us make the playoffs" mode.

I usually agree with you, but the Pats needed Wright or another receiving TE. Maybe not a move TE, but a TE who could back up Gronk and be insurance if he is hurt again (and I am a guy who believes that Gronk will play the entire season this year).

To your other comments:

• I agree with this position flexibilty. Think of all the different formations they can throw at opposing offenses this year. Two TEs, two RBs, four and five wide sets. The addition of Wright just makes it that much harder for other teams to prepare for the Pats.
  • As for the mediots' "I told you", unfortunately it is the name of the game. If the Pats cut the sacks down to something like 10 this season and Brady is sacked up the middle in the Super Bowl and the Pats lose because the Pats give up a last minute TD, those guys will be in "If Mankins was on the team, the Pats would have won the Super Bowl" even if Wright has three TDs in the Super Bowl. Felger and Mazz already say the Pats could have both Mankins and Wright if they wanted to.
  • The whole idea of a Win-Win for this trade is being missed by both sides of the argument. The Pats may not miss Mankins, get solid production from Wright, and Mankins plays well for the Bucs. Granted then both sides will be in "I told you so" mode.
  • If I remember correctly I said before the offseason that I thought Mankins could get cut. I said after Wilfork renegotiated and he didn't that this would be last year here. He was doomed to be divorced from the team either before this season or next.

Felger and Maz have already regressed to 'the Pats are cheap argument. Felger being on board with the trade lasted less than 24 hours. Of course, I suspect he only liked it at first because it allowed him to crow that they never should have paid Mankins so much money in the first place AND if they weren't cheap they wouldn't have screwed him on his rookie contract so he would have signed for far less! QED

I agree with some of this rob but Kline is not 80% of Mankins at All Pro level. I don't even know if he's ever taken a regular season snap let alone 4/5 of one of the best guards of this era.

I'm not sure Mankins is 80% of Mankins at All Pro level.

I agree with some of this rob but Kline is not 80% of Mankins at All Pro level. I don't even know if he's ever taken a regular season snap let alone 4/5 of one of the best guards of this era.

Josh Kline definitely played some last year and looked fairly decent in doing so.

One of our bigger games took place down in BAL and Kline took over Mankins' spot at LG (Logan played in place of Solder at LT), and they ran the ball down the Ravens' throats.

Now...I don't think he's quite "80 percent" of Logan Mankins by any stretch, but I've had Kline making the team all offseason myself. I think he's definitely in the mix, possibly even for a starting job. Let's hope he steps it up and keeps TFB protected!

The thing that scares me is that the Patriots went into the off season with the worst center (Wendell) and one of the
worst guards (Connolly) in the NFL. They have given up one of the best guards in the NFL in this deal. As yet, none of the
players they drafted has shown enough to be a starter this year. Halapio is on the bubble to be cut. If the line struggles and Brady gets injured, we can write off the 2014 season. This deal was simply an attempt to lower the cap even though
no surefire replacement is on on hand.

Haven't read all the posts, but this one puts it all in perspective for me.
Brady's health now depends on the pile of poo called Kline/Devey/Wendy/Connolly. Pray for him.

Haven't read all the posts, but this one puts it all in perspective for me.
Brady's health now depends on the pile of poo called Kline/Devey/Wendy/Connolly. Pray for him.

I wish that they'd let Cannon play some guard, but who knows--maybe he hasn't looked too good there?

I wouldn't be too upset (although certainly not ecstatic either) with :

Solder--Connelly--Wendell/Stork--Cannon--Vollmer

or

Solder--Kline--Connelly--Cannon--Vollmer

And then you are not arguing anything except that Wright won't do much of anything and being anything but objective. The guy had arguably a better rookie season than either Gronk or Hernandez (although Gronk did have a lot more TDs) yet you think there is no way he could upgrade the offense even with the loss of Mankins.

But that is the type of rational objectivity I would expect from you after all those years of you objectively predicting doom for this team. :rolleyes:
You may be making a decent argument but to say the other poster isn't being objective because he views the negatives he sees as greater than the positives you see is just wrong.
Objective doesn't mean you made an argument so they have to change their mind.
The teams is either better off or worse off because if the trade. You don't have to be on the same side to be objective.

If you don't know that he took regular season snaps how can you be assessing how good he is?
Not to bust your balls but exactly what basis are you using to conclude how good josh Kline is?

How many times was JAG on his ass last night? I have not seen the game yet. I will assume a lot particularly since the Giants were playing starters and we had this supposedly horrid O-line.

How many sacks did Kline or whomever played LG give up?

You may be making a decent argument but to say the other poster isn't being objective because he views the negatives he sees as greater than the positives you see is just wrong.
Objective doesn't mean you made an argument so they have to change their mind.
The teams is either better off or worse off because if the trade. You don't have to be on the same side to be objective.

Considering the other poster is the one who threw around that anyone who didn't agree with him were just homers who are unable to look at the situation objectively, I don't know why you are throwing back at me. I am just turning his words back on him.

condon's record of lack of objectivity is well documented. Also, he proved he isn't looking at the situation objectively when he consistently said that Mankins still plays at an All Pro level.

But with the fact that Mankins has been on the decline for several years and Wright was an impressive rookie going into his second year, you cannot be objective and say there is no chance that this trade can make this team better this year. What if Mankins is the same Mankins of last year or worse and Wright has a similar second year jump as Hernandez did? Not saying it will happen, but in that scenario the Pats traded an average guard at the end of his career for a 900 yard TE in his second year. Not only would it help the Pats this year,but years to come.

How many times was JAG on his ass last night? I have not seen the game yet. I will assume a lot particularly since the Giants were playing starters and we had this supposedly horrid O-line.

I think Garoppolo was sacked twice. Kline played fairly well for most of the game (although the o-line as a whole played like crap running the ball vs. the Giants' 1s), but he may have given up a sack late in the game. May not have been his assignment. I wasn't watching the play closely and the talking heads on the game had varying POVs.

So you are not considering him a TE but more of a WR or Hback?

By the way Tamme is 6'3 236. Wright is 6'3 220 with people saying they think thats wrong, so I'm not sure we can be sure he is the same size as Tamme.

On the H-back question, the answer is definitely yes. The video of his highlights from TB was impressive not for his blocking, but for his ability to create space out of the slot, or on fade patterns from a Jumbo formation.

That fade route to the corner in goal line was a Hernandez specialty Brady really missed last year. He tried it with the smurfs with little success. They were just too short to battle a defender for the ball.

I also consider him to be a big WR in the right circumstances.

Wright will be valuable in a stack formation with two WRs bunched in the slot. Against the Giants we saw a couple of formations with him and one of the small backups together in the slot doing some crossing. A few weeks of practice with Edelman, Amendola and Thompkins should produce some mayhem and open receivers for Brady.

On the size issue, multiple people have posted he showed up at 235, so he's quite comparable to Tamme. Both are light for an NFL TE, but with the right TE group they add a dimension out of that position. He looked very lean to me last night. We'll see.

2 sacks and 1-2 hurry, thing he played bad but i dont know if it was do to the other players on the OL.
That sayed, Kline DIDNT secure LG last night...

2 sacks and 1-2 hurry, thing he played bad but i dont know if it was do to the other players on the OL.
That sayed, Kline DIDNT secure LG last night...

I don't think he played bad. I thought he was ok. I do agree that based solely on last night's performance, he didn't win the starting job though.

G
If you don't know that he took regular season snaps how can you be assessing how good he is?
Not to bust your balls but exactly what basis are you using to conclude how good josh Kline is?

Go find someone else to try and pick an argument with Andy I'm not interested. I am sure you will succeed in that quest, you always do.

I like talking about football, your only interest is in starting an argument.

T
Josh Kline definitely played some last year and looked fairly decent in doing so.

One of our bigger games took place down in BAL and Kline took over Mankins' spot at LG (Logan played in place of Solder at LT), and they ran the ball down the Ravens' throats.

Now...I don't think he's quite "80 percent" of Logan Mankins by any stretch, but I've had Kline making the team all offseason myself. I think he's definitely in the mix, possibly even for a starting job. Let's hope he steps it up and keeps TFB protected!

Thanks Sup, I honestly wasn't sure if Kline had played last season when it came up and my only objection to Robs post was comparing to Mankins at his best as he was one of thee best at his position and we really have no idea what Kline is yet.

Considering the other poster is the one who threw around that anyone who didn't agree with him were just homers who are unable to look at the situation objectively, I don't know why you are throwing back at me. I am just turning his words back on him.

condon's record of lack of objectivity is well documented. Also, he proved he isn't looking at the situation objectively when he consistently said that Mankins still plays at an All Pro level.

But with the fact that Mankins has been on the decline for several years and Wright was an impressive rookie going into his second year, you cannot be objective and say there is no chance that this trade can make this team better this year. What if Mankins is the same Mankins of last year or worse and Wright has a similar second year jump as Hernandez did? Not saying it will happen, but in that scenario the Pats traded an average guard at the end of his career for a 900 yard TE in his second year. Not only would it help the Pats this year,but years to come.

Your inability to comprehend why this team is not better off after this trade for this year is proof that your brain can't compute any type of Patriot criticism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes