Lockout Over? Seems to be the Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
By: Derek Havens

With NFL players expected to vote on Monday, the NFL lockout seems to be coming to an end. After over 130 days of a NFL diehard's worst nightmare, it seems the league and their fans can start getting excited for football to return. ...

I'll get excited when the Players are back on the field. I've read this story before. :rolleyes:

Not sure of any reason to not approve this agreement.. common sense should trump hysteria..

I'll get excited when the Players are back on the field. I've read this story before. :rolleyes:

Watch, the players will get all PO'd because of weekend media reports that they were close to signing a deal; Mawae will stand before a microphone with that death-(barely)-warmed-over look of his and say, grimly, how the players are disappointed in the pressure the media is putting on their union to sign and there is no timeline for them. He'll say there are reports that one or more owners smiled when he heard the lockout might end and that the players are offended at such premature displays of joy when there are still VERY serious matters to discuss. The players will have no more comments for the rest of the week out of respect for Amy Winehouse.

Don't Tease....

Here is Schefter's latest. How can something be settled in one paragraph when another says provided remaining issues can be settled...

The last point of contention would appear to be the $320M extortion claim to settle the Doty case that the Special Master initially awarded $6M to the union for...

Tentative schedule unless players become upset that one exists is now likely for some teams to unlock on Wednesday and others on Friday (not sure why the difference) and players to report and fill out their all important recertification cards (that would be 2 whole days after the league had requested...) with camps opening Saturday or Sunday depending on how long it takes the union to count to 50% +1... Teams could talk to their FA starting Wednesday, no mention of when they could talk to UDFA's, FA to start Saturday or Sunday.

Of course this is all predicated on the EC and player reps actually voting on Monday and the plaintiffs signing off as well. And the courts accepting the settlement without delay. Most of the reports we've had from media sources to date have been close but not nearly exactly on point as to terms, conditions, money, timing...etc. So who knows.

Schefter says that De has indicated he has the votes. He has also agreed to personally handle the remaining issues that can't be finalized until the union recertifies (with Kessler only assisting so that terminology reflects actual agreement and things they have likely already pre agreed to don't become issues after the fact) to relieve owners concern that that process could drag out or again become contentious.

2011 NFL lockout -- Owners, players come to deal on all points, sources say - ESPN

Last edited:
So according to that ESPN report it should be over by monday. The vote is considered a 'formality' because the players leaders recommended it. Hoping this is true. The new timeline also pushes free agency until saturday instead of wednesday which is now when players already signed with teams can begin to report to facilities. Let's get back to football!!

Last edited:
so far at least, the owners, the league and (most) media have been very careful not to seem like they're "pushing" the players in any way and thus risk antagonizing them. i think we'll see that change if the NFLPA doesn't ratify the agreement by sometime Monday evening.

The open question is the revised calendar. The thought now is that the season will begin o Saturday July 30th, that camp will open that day, and that contracts can be signed that day.

The open question is whether there will be any negotiations allowed before that date, perhaps with a team's own free agents, or even UDFA's. I would think that this is an owner's decision that could be made tomorrow night after the player vote.

I would not expect any of the previous calendar to change other than the July dates. See below for the calendar previously posted.

Of course, everything could start on July 30, but that seems unreasonable. Obviously, teams would violate such rule by talking to their own players who will be in camp on Wednesday.

==================================================================

JULY
July 23: Voluntary training, conditioning and classroom instruction permitted until first day of clubs' preseason training camps.

July 23: Pre-2011 League Year Period commences. 2011 Free Agency List to be issued and will become effective on the first day of the 2011 League Year (July 27). Clubs/players may begin to renegotiate contracts. Clubs may begin to sign Drafted Rookies and their own UFAs, RFAs, Exclusive Rights Players and Franchise Players.

July 23: Waivers begin for the 2011 League Year.

July 23: Starting at 2:00 PM ET, clubs may negotiate with, but not sign, Undrafted Rookie Free Agents, free agents, and other clubs' UFAs, RFAs, and Franchise Players.

July 24: Starting at 2:00 PM ET, clubs may begin to sign undrafted rookie free agents.

July 27: 2011 League Year commences at 2:00 PM ET, provided NFLPA has ratified CBA. Free Agency Signing Period begins. Clubs may sign free agents and other clubs' Unrestricted Free Agents. Clubs may sign Offer Sheets. Trading period begins. All Clubs must be under the Salary Cap. Top 51 rule applies.

July 27: Expand rosters to 90-man limit.

July 27: Training Camps open for all clubs, provided NFLPA has ratified CBA. Day One activities limited to physicals, meetings, and conditioning. No pads permitted on Day Two or Day Three.

If it gets approved Monday nothing can be done until Saturday, which is considered the New League Year:eek:

As you can see, the old schedule allowed for negotiations on July 23rd with the new league year beginning on July 27th.

If it gets approved Monday nothing can be done until Saturday, which is considered the New League Year:eek:

With camps not starting 'til the 30th, I'm wondering if this wipes out week 1 of the preseason. The number being thrown out to be able to play a preseason game was 15. If so, Pats play 8/11, 12 days...

The league will NOT throw away all that revenue because Training Camp starts 3 days later. Besides, I beleive the old schudule called for three days without pads. That restriction will likely be gone.

With camps not starting 'til the 30th, I'm wondering if this wipes out week 1 of the preseason. The number being thrown out to be able to play a preseason game was 15. If so, Pats play 8/11, 12 days...

By: Derek Havens

With NFL players expected to vote on Monday, the NFL lockout seems to be coming to an end. After over 130 days of a NFL diehard's worst nightmare, it seems the league and their fans can start getting excited for football to return. ...
This lockout is far from a NFL fan's "worst nightmare." Since it didn't impact the regular season, no one is going to care about or remember this lockout in the long run. It will be remembered as little more than a minor, inconsequential blip.

Get ready for 90,000 hamstring injuries that first weekend.

:D Sweet!!! 10 years of NFL labor peace.

The league will NOT throw away all that revenue because Training Camp starts 3 days later. Besides, I beleive the old schudule called for three days without pads. That restriction will likely be gone.

I would be very surprised if that period were gone; in football at all levels it is customary, even traditional — and in most cases, mandated by law — that the first few days are no-hit practices so players acclimate to wearing their helmets and don't bumble into any awkward tackles as they get their field legs under them. Typically there are a lot of form-tackling drills.

I think that was the day that would have saved the HoF game. The Rams and Bears had planned on starting TC on the 22nd.

Get ready for 90,000 hamstring injuries that first weekend.

Looks like BB's conditioning run is going to more important than ever. I can see some veteran getting cut because he shows up out of shape. BB doesn't have time with this new (outrageous) training camp schedule.

I can't believe they are allowed to charge full price for the 1st pre-season game .... what a joke that game will be.

Looks like BB's conditioning run is going to more important than ever. I can see some veteran getting cut because he shows up out of shape. BB doesn't have time with this new (outrageous) training camp schedule.

I can't believe they are allowed to charge full price for the 1st pre-season game .... what a joke that game will be.

I don't think they will have a full blown conditioning test. No OTA's, no mini-camp etc... because of that, I would be surprised if they have full on conditioning tests upon the start of TC. I would suspect they will have some version of it to gauge what kind of shape each player is in, but I don't think it will hold the same condemnation for those that don't pass as it has in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes