Welcome to PatsFans.com

Lockerbie Bomber Dead

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by scout, May 20, 2012.

1. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

2. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

This is one of those times when I'm about right on the fence. In some ways I figure he should have been drawn and quartered; but I know that wouldn't of brought any of the innocents back. The release does have the benefit of drawing a very bright line between us and them. That's something, about all that could have come from this.

3. BrickPat

BrickPat Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

SEAL Team 6 should've been given the mission to take out this terrorist upon his return to Libya. A drone bombing would have been equally acceptable. It must be known that if you blow up a plane of innocent civilians that justice will seek you out and no mercy will be shown or expected regardless of your health or lack thereof. Too many lives are at stake to show anything that is viewed as weakness by terrorists.

Sdaniels- you say not taking additional action against the Lockerbie mass murdering terrorist draws a very bright line between them and us? Ok, using that logic how does killing another mass murdering terrorist like OBL draw a line between them and us?

What if another country imprisoned OBL for 20 years and similarly released him because of poor health? Should the US do nothing in that scenario? OBL killed 3000 the Lockerbie Terrorist killed about 300, they are bloodthirsty savages of the same ilk who must be put down for a myriad of reasons.

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +816 / 27 / -33

I suspect there was backdoor dealings that we will never know about, do not believe that he was released due to some compassionate reason...

5. sdaniels7114

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

IIRC, this man had 2 weeks to 2 months to live according to the best medical advice available at the time. If we had real reason to believe that's all Osama had then I absolutely wouldn't have sent 100 men and several hundred million dollars worth of aircraft into harm's way.

btw, the USA has taken advantage of 'showing weakness' to the enemy almost as much as the Pats have taken advantage of being called the underdog.

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  6. BrickPat

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

And that medical advice was wrong. The pursuit and killing of OBL sent a message that justice will prevail...that mission must not come with health exceptions. If I were the POTUS I could never look a 9/11 victim's family in the eye and basically state that we know where OBL is but we'll leave him alone and hopes that he dies sooner rather than later.

Ok how about a drone strike on an allegedly sick OBL? No personnel would be put at risk or come a great $$$ cost.

We'll respectfully agree to vehemently disagree.

7. sdaniels7114

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

That's a tougher call to make. Osama never stood for his crimes.

I can't say exactly what I'd have done in the Scots' shoes btw, I just figure they deserve the benefit of the doubt because its pretty easy to be an arm chair quarterback.

8. BrickPat

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Respectfully there is no armchair QB as the issue is black and white. Either the US pursues mass murdering terrorists without exception or not. The Lockerbie bomber was never tried in US courts either...his target was Americans regardless of the American/non American victim ratio on the plane that he blew to smithereens. Again you are inferring that the US would have to abide by another country's punishment for a terrorist who mass murdered Americans...it does not take an armchair QB to acknowledge that is a slippery slope. Let's say the Italian coalition of NATO captured OBL in Tora Bora and brought him back to serve 100 years prison in Italy because of three Italian citizens were killed on 9/11 but released him after 3 years because a doctor said he was sick...see where I'm going with this?

9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,126 / 3 / -10

Who Helped This Guy

10. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0

Not sad at all. Death got it right for once.

11. UK_Pat37

UK_Pat37 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +84 / 7 / -10

#12 Jersey

How can you compare the OBL case to this? OBL never stood trial...it was a case of bring him in if possible but don't impose unnecessary risk to life. That's the story the US gov. like to go by anyway...I'm pretty sure you had no intentions of bringing Bin Laden out of that compound alive whether Bin Laden was armed or not.

This guy stood trial and was released prior to his death for 'compassionate' reasons due to health. Whether that be the case or not, I don't know. There may have been some back room dealings and what not but we will never find out. Simple fact is he stood trial and served his punishment.

In a civilised democracy, any action against him after his release would have been murder. It sounds effed up and rather ironic, but that is the case!

12. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +816 / 27 / -33

I agree with this part, as there is more to this picture than meets the eye.. something else happened because of this, and it had nothing to do with compassion.

13. BrickPat

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

The US didn't impose an unnecessary risk of life in going after OBL in Pakistan? Are you serious? It wouldn't have been necessary to risk ANY US lives via a drone strike on OBL, so that negates that point. OBL killed 3000, Lockerbie Terrorist killed 300- both are of the same ilk so that comparison is warranted. The bleat that he served his punishment is BS. He did time in a foreign land whose government were either bamboozled by a quack or didn't seek a second opinion. Oh wait that's right this stupidity can be explained by inferring there was a backdoor wheeling and dealing by the US.:rolleyes:

Fact- He was never tried by the US courts. You obviously view this as irrelevant. Had he been imprisoned and released by the US court for compassionate reasons I would've been against it but then you could make the argument that it was murder afterward.

Terrorists who target and mass murder Americans are enemy combatants and should be subject to US military retribution. It matters not whether the mass murder of Americans occurs in an airplane in Europe or a building in NYC. The US rountinely uses drone strikes to "murder" terrorists who *gasp* haven't been brought to trial! So using your logic it's ok for a democracy to light people up with bombs who were never brought to trial but if they did likewise to a known terrorist who had never been prosecuted by the US its an affront to democracy. Utter hypocrisy.

Sometimes Jeffersonian democracies have to to war. Dismissing terrorists as mere criminals is akin to treating a tornado like windy day.

Last edited: May 21, 2012