PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Local reporters Pre- and Post draft assessments of players differ greatly

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Kindof seems to me like some reporters are playing kissing up to BB now that the draft is over - the same reporters who panned the thought of drafting WR early in the draft are now singing a very different tune

Interesting that leading up to the draft, Tom Curran - who I generally respect and enjoy as a writer - and other reporters proclaimed their football expertise and declared the WRs that might be available to the Pats at #21 a poor choice for early round picks

Curran, in his Draft Card reports, didn't even bother reviewing Jackson, giving only Santonio Holmes any attention as he was the "best of a mediocre bunch"

Of course, now, with BB's selection of Jackson at #36 and his disclosure that they were seriously considering Jackson at #21 it seems like many sports writers are trying to re-write their own history.

Curran himself was on the tube last night waxing poetic about how great Jackson is and what an impact he'll have on this team... sounds a little bit different from where he was just a week ago:

THEN said:
Tommyfw: The Chad Jackson stuff is all smokescreen right? The Pats couldn't take a WR in the first round, could they?

Tom Curran : Of all years, this would seem to be the least likely. The crew is just so unimpressive. And to think Jackson would be a first-rounder while Branch would be a second? I know Jackson can't control that but it seems like overdrafting.

I'm not sure what point I'm making here - perhaps only that the sports writers don't know as much as they think they do, and they have changed to change their assessment now that a guy like Jackson is on the team

they like to go with the flow

Not just reporters, but fans too. (Did I ever say "no way" to a 1st round RB? Nah that couldn't have been me...;) )

IMHO, I think that the Pat's entire draft has surprised and puzzled a lot of people. BB went in a totally different direction with this draft. We are known as defense first team. Leading up to the draft, everyone thought that we would be after LBs and DBs. I think most experts/media thought that BB was definately going to go defense first and then offense. Be honest guys, who in here thought that we would select a RB in THE FIRST ROUND. I know that I didn't. I was more than a little surprised by the pick, especially since Manny Lawson was available too.
I'm sure BB messed up many mock drafts with his selections. :D

I think that now that the draft is over and more information has come out about the players that BB selected, there has been some back-tracking and sucking up by some in the media.

Last edited:
Well, before the draft I was having multiple Bobby Carpenterisms. I do remember saying that we shouldn't go RB in the first, because it was a year too early.

After Dallas (curse on the Tuna) took Carpenter, I was sure that we would take Lawson. ( just to make DH44, BOR, & patchick happy).

But, now that they have taken Maroney I can see the wisdom in the selection and happy with the choice.

Last edited:
PATSNUTme said:
Well, before the draft I was having multiple Bobby Carpenterisms.

LOL Nut -- you slay me.

I'm happy with Maroney because BB and Pioli feel he was the best player on the board at the time. Better than Lawson, better than Holmes and Jackson, better than DeAngelo.

I'm even happier with Jackson because BB and Pioli almost took him at #21, so they consider him a near equal to Maroney. First round value for the price of a late 2nd and a late 3rd. Opinions of Jackson were as mixed as any player's in the lottery, but BB and Pioli think highly of him, so they must know something about Jackson and their team than we do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back