PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lob passes

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Key is to still stop the running game and don't fall for play action. In the first game, they could not stop Rice, he killed them.

At the same time, the Pats have to stay balanced. They need to run the ball. Whenever they stop trying, they lose.

Maybe a bit of NE briskness again? :D Time to check the forecast, ;)

1126647229GodFreyr.gif

Last edited:
How are we gonna defend these passes (which include the obvious fades)?

Talib & Dennard at corner. McCourty at safety. Arrington at slot. That's how we'll defend it, and it's been working for us.

I agree this is where we are going to be most vulnerable. The good thing is we have Talib and Denard now, and McCourty at safety. I know we didn't have Talib for the first game this year, and I can't remember if Denard played then, but no way he was as experienced as he is now. If our guys can keep up and stay in position, those lobbed balls can become INTs. That's what we have to hope for. If Smith can get behind our guys like he did Champ Bailey, we are in for a long day.

Dennard's first NFL snap came against the Broncos, when Sterling Moore was struggling if I recall. Got a PD on his first play in the NFL. Sign of things to come I hope:rocker:

Flacco and his receivers are going to get some yards. We have to stop Rice.

If we can not set the edge against the running , we are in for a long game.

Got to watch those 2 TE's for the Ravens as well.

I agree this is where we are going to be most vulnerable. The good thing is we have Talib and Denard now, and McCourty at safety. I know we didn't have Talib for the first game this year, and I can't remember if Denard played then, but no way he was as experienced as he is now. If our guys can keep up and stay in position, those lobbed balls can become INTs. That's what we have to hope for. If Smith can get behind our guys like he did Champ Bailey, we are in for a long day.

It really is interesting to see how the secondary has changed since their first meeting:

McCourty -> Talib
Arrington -> Dennard
Moore -> Arrington
Chung -> McCourty
Gregory -> Gregory
Wilson -> Wilson

There are 4 aspects to consider:

1) Talent
Talib + Dennard > Moore + Chung

2) Responsibilities
McCourty at safety > McCourty at corner
Arrington as nickel > Arrington as outside corner

3) Experience
Gregory now > Gregory then
Wilson now > Wilson then

4) Scheme/Trust
Blitz packages now > Vanilla scheme then

It really is interesting to see how the secondary has changed since their first meeting:

McCourty -> Talib : Arguable either way, but in fairness let's just say a wash.
Arrington -> Dennard : Big upgrade
Moore -> Arrington : Big upgrade, considering how well Arrington plays in the slot
Chung -> McCourty : Massive upgrade
Gregory -> Gregory : Upgrade, finally healthy and gelling within the system
Wilson -> Wilson : Wash, maybe a slight upgrade but hasn't really played much

One by one comparison, in my eyes. It's miles better especially considering your point about what it allows for with the scheming. I mean there is truly no comparison between that pass D and the current one. Even Nink and the pass rush is vastly improved.

Last edited:
What worries me is the pass rush. I don't think we got to Schaub once last night. He got hit after the throw a couple times, but no sacks.

The Ravens revamped their O-line a few weeks ago, and the past two games they've done a remarkably good job. Consider these numbers during the playoffs:

Points scored: 62
QB hits allowed: 5
Sacks allowed: 2
Rush yds: 325

That's a pretty good two-game performance. Excellent in run blocking, and superb in pass protection. Given the Pats' lack of a consistent pass rush, I would expect Flacco to have time to throw, and that'll put a lot of pressure on the Pats' secondary.

Need to have big games from Talib, McCourty, Dennard, Gregory, et al.

The pass rush will be key to these deep balls. They got no pressure on schaub most of the game and jones seems to be a shell of himself...where will the pressure come from? I don't know.

If they get no pressure on flacco next week like this week..he will throw 4-5 deep bombs and you just gotta hope for no flag..

I think he will complete 1 or two of them because some how his WRS always bail him out

Last edited:
Stop Ray-Diddle-Diddle, dont give up big plays and this game will be done.

Easier said than done however.

I don't think this Ravens defense matches up with our offense us well as they did last year. As they get older and slower, we got younger and faster.

RB: Lawfirm--> Riddler, Vereen. Much, much more speed and youth.
WR: Branch-->Lloyd. Marginal speed upgrade. WW has been a problem for everybody and shows no signs of slowing down.
OL: Healthier than it was last year. And athletically Solder>Light. Obviously not yet there in experience and game savvy.
TE: What quarter did Gronk get hurt? Hooman and Fells>>Silvestro.

The Ravens revamped their O-line a few weeks ago, and the past two games they've done a remarkably good job. Consider these numbers during the playoffs:

Points scored: 62
QB hits allowed: 5
Sacks allowed: 2
Rush yds: 325

That's a pretty good two-game performance. Excellent in run blocking, and superb in pass protection. Given the Pats' lack of a consistent pass rush, I would expect Flacco to have time to throw, and that'll put a lot of pressure on the Pats' secondary.

Need to have big games from Talib, McCourty, Dennard, Gregory, et al.

Haven't gone back to read all the stats but I think the Pats numbers against those two defenses were at least as this impressive...

Agree big game for the secondary - and I think the combo of Talib at press corner and McCourty at safety make this defense much better than the last Ravens game even if Jones injury weakens the pass rush. As usual I think the outcome of this game hinges on our number 12 first and foremost. Certainly expect a tight game but the Pats are favored for a reason

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes