Welcome to PatsFans.com

Lizards rapidly evolve after introduction to an island

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by jack, Apr 24, 2008.

1. jack

jack Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/04/080421-lizard-evolution.html
    Italian wall lizards introduced to a tiny island off the coast of Croatia are evolving in ways that would normally take millions of years to play out, new research shows.

In just a few decades the 5-inch-long (13-centimeter-long) lizards have developed a completely new gut structure, larger heads, and a harder bite, researchers say.

Enlarge Photo

Printer Friendly

Email to a Friend

What's This? SHARE
    Digg

StumbleUpon

Reddit

RELATED
    Heat Triggers Sex Change in Lizards by "Turning Off" Key Gene (April 19, 2007)
    Lizards Help Explain Survival of the Not-So-Fittest (November 24, 2004)
    PHOTOS: Was Darwin Wrong? in National Geographic Magazine (November 2004)
    In 1971, scientists transplanted five adult pairs of the reptiles from their original island home in Pod Kopiste to the tiny neighboring island of Pod Mrcaru, both in the south Adriatic Sea.

Genetic testing on the Pod Mrcaru lizards confirmed that the modern population of more than 5,000 Italian wall lizards are all descendants of the original ten lizards left
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +519 / 6 / -2

Those buggers are a load of fun. In southern Italy, where I'm from, they're everywhere. I used to catch them as a kid.
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +663 / 2 / -9

Thats Bush's Fault

:bricks:
  4. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,834 / 31 / -48

No Jersey Selected

Funny, I can do that in a matter of minutes.
  5. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +235 / 8 / -13

Sounds like the info to trigger the changes were already there, coded in their DNA.
  6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I hate genetics. It's so hard to understand. Plus, it doesn't make sense. Why would God make something that's so complicated? Why aren't we just solid bodies of flesh with a head so we can see and hear, legs to move, and arms to do stuff with?
  7. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Could be, also could be the changes are developmental, not genetic. In other words their diet is affecting the way their gut and head develops, while their genes are still the same as the parental line. I wonder if they've found a genetic basis for the changes yet? An easy test would be to take some before they hatch and put them back on the original island and see if they look like their parents or like their ancestors on the original island. Or maybe you'd have to have the parents on the original island before they conceive, eating the old diet. Pretty cool stuff either way.
  8. godef

godef Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Hmm... has anyone here read "Darwin's Radio" by Greg Bear?
  9. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,834 / 31 / -48

No Jersey Selected

Anybody else think that we can use this lizard's DNA to create a powerful supervillain?
  10. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +235 / 8 / -13

No what's it about?

Another thought, a person lives in JApan and eats a fish and rice diet, they move to America and the kids start eating big mac's and become fat, evolution at work? Or a response to eviroment?
  11. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

"CARNAGE"

[​IMG]
  12. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Response. Not mutation...yet.
  13. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,047 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

Monica called Bill "Lizard Tongue" ... evolution?
  14. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +663 / 2 / -9

Evolution, in the Oval Office.

"oh Bill"
    "oh Monica"
    "oh God"
    "oh sh!t Arrafat's on the phone"

:bricks:
  15. godef

godef Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

In this novel, he puts a twist into evolution. While still driven by stress in the environment, a lot of evolutionary changes are "backlogged" (all this is my description) and buried in what science currently recognizes as "dead end" genes. At certain points of time, pheromatic signals in combination with increased environmental stress trigger a rapid change from this backlog, in as little as a single generation. In the story, this evolutionary change is mistaken for an epidemic.

Of course, this is science fiction, but the author is extremely knowlegeable in the field of evolutionary genetics. A great read. Greg Bear writes high brow SciFi worthy of comparison to Arthur C Clarke.
  16. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +235 / 8 / -13

Sounds interesting. Tim Leary held a similar opinion 25 yrs ago.
  17. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Yeah great point, I mean, I'm sure the liberal scientists who studied these lizards forgot to check whether their DNA changed:rolleyes:
  18. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

I can't wait for the next scientific breakthrough to occur, become well established, lead to thousands of other discoveries only to get questioned 150 years later by religious nitwits who don't have a clue what they're talking about. I believe that's how you move forward as a society........Now about antibiotics, why are the dogmatic scientists so reluctant to allow my alternate theory of "antievils," meaning cures that come from praying? I don't care how long it's been around it's just a "theory" so I demand my theory be taught alongside these so-called "antibiotics" also! I mean, despite the fact that science has answered questions from the dawn of man kind that religious leaders claimed could never be answered, I think this is the point at which we should say, "infinite universe? that's way too confusing. I'm just going to throw my hands in the air and say 'god did it!'" Afterall, we've already reached the limits of what science can teach us..........
    Last edited: May 14, 2008
  19. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +235 / 8 / -13

Well scientists in evolutionary theory say that evolution is a result of adaptation through random mutation, which is why it supposedly takes 'millions of years', yet here the changes are taking place rather rapidly. So the mutated genes should be quite easy to identify. The article doesn't mention any documentation of genetic mutations. please fill us in.
  20. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

The article says, "'All of this might be evolution,' Hendry said. 'The logical next step would be to confirm the genetic basis for these changes.'" It sounds like the discovery is too recent to explain, so we have a window of wonderment where some people can hope the lizards give us proof of God, while the rest of us will simply wait for scientists to unravel the mystery.

At any rate, if the hand of God is behind this, what do you think S/He is up to? Maybe the lizards will keep evolving so quickly that in 10 years, they'll be able to develop weapons and take over the world? Maybe God is bored with us. What's your guess why God would do this?