Little Note on Ellis Hobbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelichickFan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Just got this off a Browns board :

"On the official site, it says that Savage said at the Browns Backers dinner that Frye was 45th on their board for the 2005 draft. When they picked in Round 3, there was only one player rated above him-- CB Ellis Hobbs. Savage thought a QB was more important than a CB and went with Frye. Hobbs went to New England 18 picks later."

So I guess the Browns had The Hobbitt ranked 44th or higher last year.

BelichickFan said:
Just got this off a Browns board :

"On the official site, it says that Savage said at the Browns Backers dinner that Frye was 45th on their board for the 2005 draft. When they picked in Round 3, there was only one player rated above him-- CB Ellis Hobbs. Savage thought a QB was more important than a CB and went with Frye. Hobbs went to New England 18 picks later."

So I guess the Browns had The Hobbitt ranked 44th or higher last year.

Who knows if Savage is even telling the truth. It's common for GMs to make themselves look better by saying, "we had that guy high on our boards" after the guy's had some success. But maybe I'm just down on Savage and nitpicking.

PonyExpress said:
Who knows if Savage is even telling the truth. It's common for GMs to make themselves look better by saying, "we had that guy high on our boards" after the guy's had some success. But maybe I'm just down on Savage and nitpicking.
LOL, who knows, but I assume he's telling the truth when he says he had Hobbs rated higher :)

Back to Hobbs, I am very comfortable with him as a starter. If Ty Law returns I would start Hobbs over Samuel and put Samuel at nickel. His deep speed issues wouldn't be exploited like they were last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
PonyExpress said:
But maybe I'm just down on Savage and nitpicking.
Pony, you'll like this part :

"Savage . . . called his good friend, draft expert Mel Kiper Jr., to inquire further about the player."

BelichickFan said:
Pony, you'll like this part :

"Savage . . . called his good friend, draft expert Mel Kiper Jr., to inquire further about the player."
AHHHHHHHHHH!!! You know, we root for all BBs disciples and wish them the best as long as it doesn't hurt the Pats. And I wholeheartedly wanted Romeo to succeed in that division, but the more I look into it I believe the Browns have mishandled (surprise!) the last two years. Their drafts were IMO poor despite rave reviews from experts, Savage seems a bit weird, they had the whole John Collins ouster adventure which suggested internal dissenssion; Then Savage pops off about Reggie Bush and Vince Young, indicating a guy who can't keep his trap shut to the press come draft time (loose lips sink ships). Then it turns out Savage had Pompei from the Sporting News sitting in the War Room on draft day. Pompei reveals that Savage was wringing his hands the whole first rd til the Browns' pick, worried that someone in the top 10 might take Wimbley! Have you heard of anything more ridiculous? BUT, if Charlie Frye turns into a good QB he may be enough to right all of Savage's wrongs...

PonyExpress said:

What you say about GMs in general may be true, but I remember reading that the Browns rated Hobbs very high last year on draft day when many of us were asking "Who is Hobbs???!!!"

hobbs looks like a good cover guy, but...

The Gr8est said:
What you say about GMs in general may be true, but I remember reading that the Browns rated Hobbs very high last year on draft day when many of us were asking "Who is Hobbs???!!!"
1. he's too ****y and too demonstrative (can't think of a better word rite now). i wince every time he goes into this big routine after stopping somebody with a 5-yard gain.
2. he's just too dang short. i'm sorry, i usually root for the "too small" players, and i love the twig, but too many WRs are gonna just jump over him. i like him inside in the nickel or the dime. or the quarter or the 50-cent coin. lord knows BB uses 'em all.

Last edited:
The Gr8est said:
Thanks for reading the Box_O_Rocks fish wrap and cage liner! Seriously, there was an item shortly after the draft last year that had Savage talking about how much he liked Hobbs, confirming they had him on their draft board. This article just goes to show that he was their 44th ranked player - not bad.

Box_O_Rocks said:
This article just goes to show that he was their 44th ranked player - not bad.
44th or higher, actually.

ilduce06410 said:
2. he's just too dang short. i'm sorry, i usually root for the "too small" players, and i love the twig, but too many WRs are gonna just jump over him.
You mean like Booker and Chambers jumped over him on those two fade routes in a row, in the endzone in Miami (with his face in the sun)? :eek:

My money is on Ellis Hobbs The III being a stud CB and a fan favorite soon.

he's got a great vertical leap, but....

T-ShirtDynasty said:
You mean like Booker and Chambers jumped over him on those two fade routes in a row, in the endzone in Miami (with his face in the sun)? :eek:

the WRs he's covering can jump too. a 7" height difference in the nfl, you know teams are gonna make use of his height disadvantage time to time.
i've been yelling aabout these tiny DBs for years now. this is just another outburst.
BTW i've been to TC several times. my wife, who IS 5'9", stood next to twig once. lemme tell ya that man is 5'7" or less. brady does a helluva joob getting him the ball.

ilduce06410 said:
the WRs he's covering can jump too.
As both Booker and Chambers did, just not high enough to get over Hobbs. :D

T-ShirtDynasty said:

aThis is what measurement guys forget. Being a tall WR does not mean you are a better WR. It often means you aren't as quick as a smaller, more agile CB. THere is Randy Moss, TO and David Boston. The rest of the tall WRs are becoming dinosaurs. You used to have to be big to fight off CBs. WIth the Polian 5 yard rule, err emphasis, big strong WRs are less important. Now it seems smaller, more agile WRs that can get separation and need not fight off CBs have the uper hand.

PonyExpress said:
Back to Hobbs, I am very comfortable with him as a starter. If Ty Law returns I would start Hobbs over Samuel and put Samuel at nickel. His deep speed issues wouldn't be exploited like they were last year.

I wouldn't be so hard on Samuel. He's a very athletic cornerback who has the unique physical gifts to both jump a route for a TD, and be a strong physical presence in run-support.

I think last season was a ridiculous amount of pressure to put on a developing DB, given the loss of the experienced Poole on the other side, the insurmountable loss of Harrison at safety, and the atrocious performance of the front seven once Seymour went out. That's a ton to ask of any player, especially a guy in his third(?) year as a starter.

GoWhalers said:
I wouldn't be so hard on Samuel. He's a very athletic cornerback who has the unique physical gifts to both jump a route for a TD, and be a strong physical presence in run-support.

I think last season was a ridiculous amount of pressure to put on a developing DB, given the loss of the experienced Poole on the other side, the insurmountable loss of Harrison at safety, and the atrocious performance of the front seven once Seymour went out. That's a ton to ask of any player, especially a guy in his third(?) year as a starter.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Samuel basher, but a fan. I think he has talent, but that talent would best be put to use as a nickel back. The term "starter" and "nickel" is really semantics, since so many teams use three receiver sets. In the inner portion of the field his savvy, underrated ballskills and short area quickness would be best utilized. Unfortunately Samuel only has 4.48 speed or thereabouts and can be exploited by a guy like Lee Evans. Ellis Hobbs has 4.37 speed and is more likely to provide effective deep coverage, as is Randall Gay with his 4.33 speed. A half a step has meaning for a CB.

ilduce06410 said:
the WRs he's covering can jump too. a 7" height difference in the nfl, you know teams are gonna make use of his height disadvantage time to time.
i've been yelling aabout these tiny DBs for years now. this is just another outburst.

The math just doesn't add up. Even if a receiver has a 7" overall height difference (height + vertical jump), that's still an incredibly small window for the QB to throw into. If the DB gets the same jump as the receiver, QB's just aren't able to hit a 7" slice of space with consistency, it's a low percentage play. Think about how pathetic QB's always look in those ESPN summer contests, no one can consistently throw it through the hoop. Thus it is far better to have a short DB that covers well (i.e. jumps with the receiver) than a taller one that gets beat.

Isaac said:
ven if a receiver has a 7" overall height difference (height + vertical jump)
Not to mention that it's not realistic. For a 7" difference that puts the WR at 6'4". First, there aren't many WR that tall. Yes there are some but not a lot. Second, they tend to be tangly and less athletic so the Vertical Jump that a Hobbs has would make up some of that. The height thing is way overated although is it a small factor.

Actually, sometimes a good way to defend the bigger wide outs is to put smaller DB's on them. The WR is unable to match the quickness of the DB, giving them an advantage. From what I've heard, 6-1 Chad Jackson has some trouble against small DB's. However you will face the occasional freak of nature like Randy Moss, who is both very tall and quick. Guys of that level will give issues to big CB's as well. Anyway players like Moss are so rare that it is simply not worth aquiring players specifically to match up against them. Little CB's bring important skills to the field. I think ideally in you CB's you have a mix of little and bigger ones, which we have, the bigger ones being Randall Gay, Chad Scott, and Eric Warfield.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back