PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lito Sheppard

Status
Not open for further replies.

NePatriots

PatsFans.com Draftnik
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Lito and the Patriots seem like a good fit... let's see what it will take to get it done.

#7 Pick for Sheppard and #19 Pick
I think the Pats would do this in a heartbeat, and the Eagles would say no. Why trade a player to go up and overypay some rookie?

#62 Pick for Sheppard
Once again, too good for the Patriots. Maybe if they added a 4th rounder or swapped our 3a for their 3rd.

#7 Pick for Sheppard
Now I think the Pats are overpaying, but not by much.

#7 Pick for Sheppard and the Eagles 3rd-Rounder
Not too hot, not too cold, just right.

What do you guys think, other possibilities?

Like the first scenario the best but we will not get lito.
He is mad because of money not cause he's stuck on a cellar dweller or because he's on the bench.
Trust me The Patriots might give up a third but not a first or second.

The Eagles signed a CB to big money now are trying to get good trade value from another CB who wants a new deal.

I would consider our #3 no more. You're gonna have to make the player happy too.

The Eagles signed a CB to big money now are trying to get good trade value from another CB who wants a new deal.

I would consider our #3 no more. You're gonna have to make the player happy too.

The idea is to come up with a win / win fair deal for the Pats, Eagles & the player.

First, we must assume the Patriots want him - why not, they guy IS good.

I would think he would want to come and play with his cousin - Jabbar Gaffney and try to win a ring right here where he could really help make it happen.

Fair value in my mind for a disgruntled player that the Eagles cannot afford to pay or even need would not be the #1 they are asking, but more like a #2 and perhaps a late round pick in '09.

As for the money - in 2004 he signed a 5 year 25MM deal and his base this year is 2MM , guaranteed. Seems to me a three year deal of 18MM =20MM with 6MM guaranteed over the first two years might work?? Or have I low balled him in this market? Since he is signed through 2011, his bargaining power really is not that great.

Thoughts here??

Asante Vs Lito...does anybody think Asante is that much better than Shepard to get the kind of deal that the Eagles gave him in the first place??

I think Asante is good - not great. I thank Sheppard is a good player too.

I also think Asante is better than Sheppard - but not that much better, not for that kind of money.

Dropping to 19 and only getting Sheppard is a bad deal for the Patriots if you ask me. He's slated to be a nickel back for them and they're looking to shop him anyways.

The idea is to come up with a win / win fair deal for the Pats, Eagles & the player.
IMO I did. A #3 for a good, not great, player who'll get a new deal is fair. #2 for Dillon, #4 for Moss are comps I guess but they're different as they were older and a new contract wasn't as clear cut even though they both did get long term deals after a year.

I wouldn't offer more than a #3, I wouldn't offer the Raiders' #3.

I certainly wouldn't give up the no. 7 for Sheppard and a 3rd rounder. If the 7 being traded in a deal like that, the Patriots would be getting a much more accomplished player than Lito.

I would give up the late 2 for Lito, but it's not a slam dunk. Lito has been injury prone during his career and the Eagles have paid huge money to Samuel to replace him. Those are warning signs in regards to the ability of Sheppard.

Football Outsiders had Sheppard with one of the worst success rates in the league through 12 weeks. Obviously, there are other variables at play here, b/c that doesn't really match up with the Sheppard we saw on the field when we played them. But it's worth considering.

Personally, I wouldn't make much an effort. Somebody like Flowers or Cason is going to end up being available in the middle of round 2, I'd rather work on trading up to get one of them them.

Lito and the Patriots seem like a good fit...
Isn't Lito almost as good as Asante but wants more money than Asante did?

I don't mind paying top money for FAs, but it is death to a program to give up top money AND lose a top draft pick at the same time.

Just say no.

It's a little confusing why people don't want to pay for Asante, but they're happy to pay for Lito as long as they can part with a draft pick as well.

Isn't Lito almost as good as Asante but wants more money than Asante did?

I don't mind paying top money for FAs, but it is death to a program to give up top money AND lose a top draft pick at the same time.

Just say no.
I don't think he's going to get the type of money he wants, and the PATRIOTS won't be the ones that give him more than Asante. I will change it to "seems like a good fit... if he's willing to overlook money and get a big fat ring".

Why do you think Lito Sheppard is on the trading block?
Why are the Eagles not happy to have two good cornerbacks?

The answer probably is that Lito Sheppard is now disgruntled
over the fact he will be making only a fraction of what Asante will
be paid.

What the Patriots would be trading for is an unhappy player who
would probably hold out during all of training camp and possibly
into the regular season until his demands were met.

Thinking Lito would accept short money for the glory of getting
a Superbowl ring is pure fantasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back