PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lito Shephard on the block...would fill a big hole...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said that I would prefer to trade down in the first and grab Lito Sheppard in the process.

You're saying you'd rather trade down in the first and grab a second in the process.

Therefore, you are saying that, assuming that the first rounder is traded down to a roughly equal place, you'd take the second rounder over Lito, since everything else in the equation is equal. Especially since the only way that you can trade down and end up with a significantly better first rounder if it's in the 10-15 range. Even then, I'd rather have #19 and Sheppard than the #10 and an additional second rounder (especially since a #10 pick still makes a lot of money)

I know what you're saying, and if you're simply looking at it as "Lito is the second round pick in that trade" then it could possible make sense. But, NE would be trading down to 19th overall from 7th overall. That's a big leap in value, and I'm not sure he's worth that much. That's the kind of deal that should net you an elite CB, and I don't think of him as elite.

Also, I'd rather pick in the 12th-16th overall range. And, we don't even know if this guy is actually going to be traded. Plus, you seem to be forgetting he'd like to earn some additional coin. Therefore the cap savings from that trade (since he'd want a new deal) wouldn't be substantial.

Edit: There are a number of reasons why I'd like to trade into the 12th-16th overall range: The contracts aren't bad (compared to players in the top 10), a top ten worthy talent could slide to that pick, and you can sign that player to a six year contract. If you trade down to 19th overall you can only sign your pick to a 5 year max contract, and the chances of landing a top prospect go down. I also think there should be some very good talent in the 12th-16th overall range this year.

Also, I don't think you realize the jump from 7th to 19th overall. We're talking about 625 points. That's a about equal to the 30th pick in the draft, and Lito wouldn't come that cheap. So, I truly believe NE would be giving up to much value (both cap and draft wise) in that trade.

Last edited:
I think people are grossly overrating Lito Sheppard. He's good but c'mon. Why does the guy want to be traded? Money.

Hobbs never gets the love... how quickly we forget Duane Starkes

Re: Lito Shephard on the block.......would fill a big hole...

Lito would be a great replacement for Samuel, but it all depends on how much $$$ he is seeking. I wouldn't mind seeing a secondary consisting of.....

1. Law
2. Sheppard
3. Richardson (yes, I think he will be a starter)
4. Hobbs
5. Merriweather
6. Harrison
7. Gay
8. Sanders
Agree with you on Richardson. They buried him with a hand injury.
Get rid of the last two, especially Sanders. If you can't cover and tackle why bother.
Law? I see him as a safety now for a year or two. CB? I do not know.
DW Toys

He isn't the best, he isn't better than Asante, but, he is serviceable all right.

He most likely wants a new contract.

If he wants a huge pay day, I wouldn't trade for him.

He isn't the best, he isn't better than Asante, but, he is serviceable all right.

He most likely wants a new contract.

If he wants a huge pay day, I wouldn't trade for him.

I knew it sounded to good to be true.

www.profootballtalk.com

POSTED 9:41 a.m. EST; UPDATED 10:08 a.m. EST, February 19, 2008

EAGLES DISPUTE LITO SHEPPARD TRADE REPORTS by Michael David Smith

Multiple media outlets reported on Monday that the Philadelphia Eagles had given cornerback Lito Sheppard and his agent permission to seek a trade.

But the Eagles say it isn't true.

"Any report suggesting that we've allowed Lito or his agent to seek a trade is absolutely, undeniably false," Eagles spokesman Derek Boyko told Geoff Mosher of the News Journal.

The 26-year-old Sheppard is a two-time Pro Bowler who still has four seasons left on his current contract. He is scheduled to make $3.45 million in 2008, $4.45 million in 2009, $3.7 million in 2010 and $4.25 million in 2011, the News Journal reports.

That's not a lot of money for a top-flight cornerback, so Sheppard may be seeking a raise. But if he's seeking a trade, the Eagles say he's doing so without their permission.

From Rotoworld:

The Eagles are "believed to be targeting" impending free agent CB Asante Samuel.

PhillyBurbs.com believes the Birds are "certainly" fielding offers for Lito Sheppard, whose place at left corner Samuel would take. Samuel is more durable than Sheppard, but older and would cost way more. Philadelphia is said to be down on Sheppard because of his constant injuries.
Source: phillyburbs.com

Since signing his 5 year extension at the end of 2004 (his best season) he has missed 15 games in 3 seasons... In 11 games in 2007 he had 2 picks and 5 passes defensed...

Lito Sheppard - DB Feb. 18 - 9:47 pm et

The Eagles are denying an ESPN report that they've granted CB Lito Sheppard permission to seek out a trade.

"Any reports that suggest we have allowed Lito or his agent to seek a trade are absolutely and undeniably false," a team spokesperson said. However, a Philadelphia reporter who spoke with Sheppard Monday says the former Pro Bowler planned to approach the Eagles about a new contract this offseason. If Sheppard didn't get it, he was reportedly going to request a trade.
Source: Comcast Sportsnet

There was also a report that if in fact they were to decide to move him, should they for example sign Asante, they would expect a "bounty" in exchange. Not to say they'd get it, for the same reason they'd be trading him because they believed they had upgraded, but... And again, if he required a new contract or promise of one in order to facilitate one, add that cost to the acquisition price.

I agree with those who have pointed out he has likely benefitted from playing behind JJ's blitzkreig defense, not to mention in the NFC where even the most highly touted QB's are essentially scatter armed gunslingers like the majority of those Asante has feasted on...

I dont know if there is any validity to this particular thread, but Being able to drop from #7 to #19 and pick up a starter in the defensive secondary would be huge. I personally would almost ratehr see the Patriots pick at 19 for the simple fact that the cap number for # 7 is insanely high for an unproven player and I think the probability of pulling a quality player at 7 is not much higher (if higher at all) than at 19. Especially considering the Pats long track record pulling excelletn players in the mid late first round, I say if you can move down and pick up a quality guy at a need position it is a NO BRAINER.

lito shephard is not as good as samuel he is not even as good as hobbs rember hobbs coverd the outher teams best WR most of the time not samuel that being said i think hobbs did pretty good the only reason shephard is that good is the eageles blitz about 90% of the time so the QB dose not have time to throw ill take ty law over him

Wow.

Punctuation, please.

I dont know if there is any validity to this particular thread, but Being able to drop from #7 to #19 and pick up a starter in the defensive secondary would be huge. I personally would almost ratehr see the Patriots pick at 19 for the simple fact that the cap number for # 7 is insanely high for an unproven player and I think the probability of pulling a quality player at 7 is not much higher (if higher at all) than at 19. Especially considering the Pats long track record pulling excelletn players in the mid late first round, I say if you can move down and pick up a quality guy at a need position it is a NO BRAINER.

As New Orleans found out with Jason David, and the Redskins seem to find out every year, you have to pick players who fit your system.

I think if you look historically the odds of drafting a probowler at 7 vs a pro bowler at 19 wouldnt be so much different

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back