PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lito Shephard on the block...would fill a big hole...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Lito Shephard on the block.......would fill a big hole...

Remember.....this is the corner who put a lock on Moss first last year....so if Moss goes for the money instead of Brady, then it would an extremely good look to have Lito Sheppard on our roster and he's still young....26 years old....I'd say a 2nd rounder

P.S. - Ty Law is even on the verge of coming back to New England

I'd easily give up a 2nd rounder for Sheppard. He's one of the game's best corners and immediately makes the departure of Samuel irrelevant.

Sheppard is very cheap too :

11/6/2004: Signed a five-year, $25 million contract extension through 2011. The deal included a $9 million signing bonus.

2008: $2 million
2009: $3 million
2010: $3.7 million
2011: $4.25 million
2012: Free Agent. Cap charge: $3.45 million (2008).

At that money I'd flip flop #1 for him for sure; #7 to #19 + a cheap Sheppard. Of course, Sheppard probably wants a new deal and that could change things but as things stand . . .

The Patriots have need of a player who can't cover without holding? Are they below the team quota or something?

hope to get him, would be huge

Lito would be a great replacement for Samuel, but it all depends on how much $$$ he is seeking. I wouldn't mind seeing a secondary consisting of.....

1. Law
2. Sheppard
3. Richardson (yes, I think he will be a starter)
4. Hobbs
5. Merriweather
6. Harrison
7. Gay
8. Sanders

Last edited:

The Patriots have need of a player who can't cover without holding? Are they below the team quota or something?

How good is Hobbs vs. Sheppard? There's your break-even point, if he is in fact available at marked-down, not-so-young-anymore rates. (And could the iggles ask for some coin to apply against that dead money Lito costs as part of the deal?)

By reputation at least, Sheppard seems like he'd be an upgrade over Hobbs (as might Gay.) And of course we have to replace Asante, if all our assumptions hold. We might end up with a downgrade in the secondary, but a downgrade to Sheppard/Gay or Sheppard/Hobbs might be preferable to a downgrade to Gay/Hobbs (just for example.)

I have to say, I had the impression that Sheppard is a pretty serviceable D-back.

PFnV

I have to say, I had the impression that Sheppard is a pretty serviceable D-back.

He is more than serviceable. Some people would still be negative even if the Patriots had Deion Sanders, **** Lane, and Darrell Green as our corners.

that link didnt work for me
anyone have anything else on this?

I would love to have Lito Sheppard over Samuel. He is more physical and a little bit bigger. At first I didn't think much of Ty Law coming back, but if it's the difference between him starting or Ellis Hobbs, I'll take Law. Whether or not Samuel stays, the Pats need DB's.

A good pick up 2nd rounder??

I'm assuming we get the 2 by trading down from rd. 1 #7, right? Our 2 is gone.

This would be great.

How good is Hobbs vs. Sheppard? There's your break-even point, if he is in fact available at marked-down, not-so-young-anymore rates. (And could the iggles ask for some coin to apply against that dead money Lito costs as part of the deal?)

By reputation at least, Sheppard seems like he'd be an upgrade over Hobbs (as might Gay.) And of course we have to replace Asante, if all our assumptions hold. We might end up with a downgrade in the secondary, but a downgrade to Sheppard/Gay or Sheppard/Hobbs might be preferable to a downgrade to Gay/Hobbs (just for example.)

PFnV

I'm all for bringing in a cornerback. Sheppard is just not the one. I don't know if I'd rate him above Gay (Gay didn't really get a great shot at starting last season), but I wouldn't rate him above Hobbs. Then again, I seem to rate Hobbs more highly than most people here do. I looked at his numbers this season, for example, and felt he was the team's best cornerback.

Last edited:
Talk about a dream come true. I would swap firsts and throw in another lower round pick in a heartbeat. 5 years 25 mill for his abilities is a bargain at what will be a position of need once samuel hits FA.

Adding Shephard, resigning Moss, and getting Thomas for LB depth could arguably make our 2008 team stronger than this year's. Plus we will be getting Rosey and Morris back, another juggernaut for sure.

I'm all for bringing in a cornerback. Sheppard is just not the one. I don't know if I'd rate him above Gay (Gay didn't really get a great shot at starting last season), but I wouldn't rate him above Hobbs. Then again, I seem to rate Hobbs more highly than most people here do. I looked at his numbers this season, for example, and felt he was the team's best cornerback.

Why so much love for Gay? He was clearly targeted by almost every offense down the stretch. Did he make a single play last year?

Also whoever put Richardson and Ty Law above Ellis Hobbs, two words, lay off the LDS. Is this the same Richardson who has never played an NFL game? and had a pedestrian college career on one of the worst pass defenses in the NCAA? I most not have been watching when he 'almost' made plays against other teams scrubs.

I would take Shephard in a second for our #2 pick and would even consider trade for our #7 for the Eagles #19. I don't know if he is a probowl player but he is an adequate or above average starter.

If our 2008 Secondary looks like this it will be a lot better than I thought it would be. There is still a chance that a bum veteran or rookie ends up as a starter.
Hobbs
Sheppard
2nd round draft pick
Richardson\Spann\Williams
Harrison
Sanders
Merriweather
Willie 'I needs my pot' Andrews

shepard is a damn good cornerback. is this just a possible scenario or is he actually on the block?

dont forget he's gaffney's cousin....

Sheppard is very cheap too :

11/6/2004: Signed a five-year, $25 million contract extension through 2011. The deal included a $9 million signing bonus.

2008: $2 million
2009: $3 million
2010: $3.7 million
2011: $4.25 million
2012: Free Agent. Cap charge: $3.45 million (2008).

At that money I'd flip flop #1 for him for sure; #7 to #19 + a cheap Sheppard. Of course, Sheppard probably wants a new deal and that could change things but as things stand . . .

thats why he wants to be traded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye