PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

List of College sateties who became NFL starting cornerbacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm also arguing with your first post, and I have to say, I like it a lot better than this Meriweather-specific crap. Talking about NFL history is interesting. Talking about what Meriweather may or may not do seems pointless.

But I will note that in all of this several names of decent to very good NFL corners have come out - Eric Warfield, Nnamdi Asomugha, Brian Williams, Carnell Lake, Lester Hayes (someone said, I don't know) - who had minimal exposure (less than Meriweather) to the corner position early but started later on a Pro Level. And many other guys have emerged with the same or more exposure than Meriweather who also did it. Yet you're doing your best to dismiss them and move beyond that argument.

Additionally, do we know if these any of these guys switched between corner or safety during Spring Drills or in high school or on JV or whatever, or if the drills they ran in the Pros or in college were combined with the corners or separate from them? No. But you want to draw a fine line between safeties + tweeners, and "pure" corners to save your point. Fine.

So, what is your point? What has this thread been reduced to since the original post? "Meriweather isn't ready to replace Samuel"? Who the hell wants to debate that? Has anyone on this board seen Meriweather practice? How the hell would we know? I mean, you're right, he's probably not, but not for any real reason other than he's a 2nd year player who'd have to negotiate a position change in one offseason. Almost all the players mentioned in this thread, either corner-safety or safety-corner, took several years to get their wits about them. Hell, most "pure" positional players take several years to get their wits about them.

I encourage others to continue posting safeties-turned-corner (and also corners-turned-safety). I for one find that stuff interesting.

I obviously couldn't make a nuanced argument in a thread title. I agree with

NE39 as you do.

Eugene Wilson, Artrell Hawkins, Chad Scott......................:D:D

So, what is your point? What has this thread been reduced to since the original post? "Meriweather isn't ready to replace Samuel"? Who the hell wants to debate that? Has anyone on this board seen Meriweather practice?

That was the whole point of the thread, BTW. I found that article and I base my opinion on Meriweathers words. He doesn't seem comfortable and I think it's crazy to assume, as some here do, that he's ready to replace Asante.

More interesting than stomping my feet and saying your wrong every time a poster says it (a bunch today with that safety signing.

I certainly have no direct knowledge but circumstantial base on preseason reports and his own interview. I don't know of any evidence that he's ready to start at cb in 2008.

Last edited:
So, what is your point? What has this thread been reduced to since the original post? "Meriweather isn't ready to replace Samuel"? Who the hell wants to debate that? Has anyone on this board seen Meriweather practice? How the hell would we know? I mean, you're right, he's probably not, but not for any real reason other than he's a 2nd year player who'd have to negotiate a position change in one offseason. Almost all the players mentioned in this thread, either corner-safety or safety-corner, took several years to get their wits about them. Hell, most "pure" positional players take several years to get their wits about them.

I encourage others to continue posting safeties-turned-corner (and also corners-turned-safety). I for one find that stuff interesting.
Except there are better pure cornerback prospects in the 2008 NFL Draft.

I agree.

That doesn't mean every time we pick up a back up safety "Meriweathers going to be the starting corner".

He'll probably play nickel like Sanders did. And they do switch safeties and corners in some schemes.

He's not replacing Asante.

I do think his best position will ultimately be S, but that doesn't eliminate him playing CB. The fact is coming out of college he showed some of the skills that make you think he might be able to do it. He has the athleticism, the hip turn and showed the instincts.

Is he going to be a turn-and-burn, matchup CB like Champ Bailey? No, that isn't happening. However, I think he compares very well to Marlin Jackson, who has developed into a very good zone CB for the Colts. I think Meriweather has those skills. It is too early to say whether he can do it or not, but I think it is possible. He does have hands of stone, though.

The point isn't replacing Asante with one guy. The point is playing the scheme as the coaches outline it. I could see Meriweather doing the job, I think it is worth a try if that is what is best for the team.

Also, please spare me the evaluation of him based on last year. He looked lost early last year and got better as the year progressed. A lot of guys take some time to adjust as rookies, their head spinning so much from learning the Pro game that they think too much and can't play on instinct. I don't think you can call his play at CB a failed experiment based on last year.

Just reading the tea leaves... My take on Meriweather is that when the Pats drafted him they really thought he could transition to cb in the NFL. But they were a bit disappointed in his athleticism once they saw him on an every day basis. He was not obviously dynamic the way Griffin appeared in the Tennessee preseason game. This was reflected in Fred Smerlas comments as the season began, where he implied Meriweather hadn't really earned his roster spot but was there merely due to his draft status. Fred got that from somewhere, probably his buddy Pats' lawyer Jack Mula. I think Brandon sensed that he had somehow failed, and as a result lost his confidence and went into a bit of a shell. This hurt his progress early in the season. He finally transitioned back to his natural position, got his sea legs under him and began to play with confidence by playoff time. His talent was visible and encouraging.

Screwing around with him now, moving him back to cb, would increase his bust potential and isn't worth the risk. Let him focus on what he feels most comfortable with, let him develop his hands and strength in the offseason, and enter year 2 riding high with confidence. I'll be happy if Meriweather becomes an above average starting FS at this point, which means one who creates turnovers. That's what he needs to focus on.

Last edited:
Also, please spare me the evaluation of him based on last year. He looked lost early last year and got better as the year progressed. A lot of guys take some time to adjust as rookies, their head spinning so much from learning the Pro game that they think too much and can't play on instinct. I don't think you can call his play at CB a failed experiment based on last year.
Yet every year we read the same story about Eugene Wilson playing cornerback yet it never came to fruition.

Yet every year we read the same story about Eugene Wilson playing cornerback yet it never came to fruition.

That has nothing to do with Meriweather.

Look, I'm not saying it is the preferred option. All I'm saying is if Meriweather can help the team this year at CB, they will play him at CB. Hopefully, they find someone that is a better option there and Meriweather can stick to getting better at S. However, if they are forced to play him there I could see him being successful, as long as they adjust the scheme to suit what he does best.

Again, athletically his compares favorably to Marlin Jackson and I could see him being that type of CB.

I do think his best position will ultimately be S, but that doesn't eliminate him playing CB. The fact is coming out of college he showed some of the skills that make you think he might be able to do it. He has the athleticism, the hip turn and showed the instincts.

Is he going to be a turn-and-burn, matchup CB like Champ Bailey? No, that isn't happening. However, I think he compares very well to Marlin Jackson, who has developed into a very good zone CB for the Colts. I think Meriweather has those skills. It is too early to say whether he can do it or not, but I think it is possible. He does have hands of stone, though.

The point isn't replacing Asante with one guy. The point is playing the scheme as the coaches outline it. I could see Meriweather doing the job, I think it is worth a try if that is what is best for the team.

I have no personal evaluation of him. I just remember that interview and it certainly didn't sound like a person who was comfortable and ready to take over the position.

Would I bet the house that he couldn't? Of course not, I'm going by his words and others opinions.

I do think penciling him in as Asante's replacement is crazy, based on reports and his own words.

I'd like to draft 2 cornerbacks. Actually, it looks like a lot of 6' or over cbs, so maybe they'll br CB/safeties. :bricks: *ducks*

Last edited:

Actually he played almost exclusively at Cornerback in college, yet easily transitioned to safety in the NFL.

I wonder how often that happens................:bricks: *ducks again*

Screwing around with him now, moving him back to cb, would increase his bust potential and isn't worth the risk. Let him focus on what he feels most comfortable with, let him develop his hands and strength in the offseason, and enter year 2 riding high with confidence.

And that pretty much is a summary of an interview I read with BB or Pees on why they chose not to move Geno back to CB. Also, concerning the Meriweather experiment during preseason, was that not in large part out of necessity following Chad Scott being placed on IR with Asante still a no-show due to his short lived hold-out?

That has nothing to do with Meriweather.

Look, I'm not saying it is the preferred option. All I'm saying is if Meriweather can help the team this year at CB, they will play him at CB. Hopefully, they find someone that is a better option there and Meriweather can stick to getting better at S. However, if they are forced to play him there I could see him being successful, as long as they adjust the scheme to suit what he does best.

Again, athletically his compares favorably to Marlin Jackson and I could see him being that type of CB.
That has everything to do with Meriweather. First, Eugene Wilson actually played the majority of his time as a junior and senior at cornerback. Second, Meriweather hardly played cornerback at Miami, FL. Third, Meriweather was LOUSY at cornerback in preseason. Finally, this year's draft is chalk full of cornerbacks that are much better suited to play cornerback in the NFL than Meriweather.

I'll take Antoine Cason at cornerback any day of the week over Brandon Meriweather. Heck, I'll take Antoine Cason at cornerback over the JAG Jason Webster any day of the week.

Last edited:
That has everything to do with Meriweather. First, Eugene Wilson actually played the majority of his time as a junior and senior at cornerback. Second, Meriweather hardly played cornerback at Miami, FL. Third, Meriweather was LOUSY at cornerback in preseason. Finally, this year's draft is chalk full of cornerbacks that are much better suited to play cornerback in the NFL than Meriweather.

I'll take Antoine Cason at cornerback any day of the week over Brandon Meriweather. Heck, I'll take Antoine Cason at cornerback over the JAG Jason Webster any day of the week.

That is not the point. If they find a better option, I'm all for it. However, if they don't there is no saying Meriweather wouldn't be able to do the job. The fact Wilson didn't play CB much doesn't reflect on Meriweather.

I don't think it is ridiculous to suggest he is an option there, based on his skillset. That is where we differ in opinion.

Actually he played almost exclusively at Cornerback in college, yet easily transitioned to safety in the NFL.

I wonder how often that happens................:bricks: *ducks again*
It's easier to move from cornerback to free safety in the NFL than free safety to cornerback. Ronnie Lott transitioned from cornerback to safety later in his career as was the case with Rod Woodson not vice versa.

That is not the point. If they find a better option, I'm all for it. However, if they don't there is no saying Meriweather wouldn't be able to do the job. The fact Wilson didn't play CB much doesn't reflect on Meriweather.

I don't think it is ridiculous to suggest he is an option there, based on his skillset. That is where we differ in opinion.
Meriweather was drafted to replace Eugene Wilson not Asante Samuel since Eugene Wilson's game fell apart after breaking his arm in his second Super Bowl. If you suggest the Patriots are not drafting a cornerback within the first three rounds of the 2008 NFL Draft, then you are more naive than I originally believed.

Meriweather was drafted to replace Eugene Wilson not Asante Samuel since Eugene Wilson's game fell apart after breaking his arm in his second Super Bowl. If you suggest the Patriots are not drafting a cornerback within the first three rounds of the 2008 NFL Draft, then you are more naive than I originally believed.

Where did I suggest any such thing? Also, you aren't in any position to judge my naivet'e, so let's just stick to the subject.

Even if the Pats do draft help at CB, which is likely, there is no saying that player will be able to contribute right away. Rookies vary wildly in their impact, and develop at different rates.

What I am saying is Meriweather has some skills that make me think he could possibly play some zone CB. He also has some experience playing coverage, and has a year of NFL coaching under his belt. Based on that, I don't think it is out of the question that he can play some CB for the Pats. If the coaches think he can, he will, and they will tune the scheme to his skill set.

Meriweather wasn't drafted to replace Wilson. He was drafted because he is a versatile guy who had a lot of skills they liked. They thought he could help them. However, he is a different player than Wilson and will succeed or fail on his own.

Granted, I hope they don't, because I think Meriweather is a better fit at S. I would like to think they bring in another veteran or two and also bring in some help in the draft.

It's easier to move from cornerback to free safety in the NFL than free safety to cornerback. Ronnie Lott transitioned from cornerback to safety later in his career as was the case with Rod Woodson not vice versa.

Both Lott and Woodson played extensively at safety in college.

Except there are better pure cornerback prospects in the 2008 NFL Draft.

I'm sure there are, but why did you apply that response to me?

Last edited:
What I am saying is Meriweather has some skills that make me think he could possibly play some zone CB. He also has some experience playing coverage, and has a year of NFL coaching under his belt. Based on that, I don't think it is out of the question that he can play some CB for the Pats. If the coaches think he can, he will, and they will tune the scheme to his skill set.
There is a much bigger difference in skill set from playing cornerback in the NFL than safety. From hip flexibility to back pedaling technique to turn and run ability, a cornerbacks job is far more demanding in the NFL than free safety. Heck, I didn't even mention the ability to plant and drive when reversing direction.

Both Lott and Woodson played extensively at safety in college.

I'm sure there are, but why did you apply that response to me?
Woodson played more cornerback at college than safety. I should know since I attended the University of Iowa at the time and had actually seen Woodson live. Woodson was also a track star at Purdue.

As for cornerbacks in the 2008 NFL Draft, I tend to believe my eyes when assessing the cornerback play of Brandon Meriweather during preseason.

As for cornerbacks in the 2008 NFL Draft, I tend to believe my eyes when assessing the cornerback play of Brandon Meriweather during preseason.

That's my point. I did not assess the cornerback play of Brandon Meriweather. I assessed the likelihood of corners turning into safeties and vice versa. My point is that switchers, either way, by a large majority played both at the college level, and that safeties switching to corner is not unheard of.

I have no idea what - if any - position(s) Brandon Meriweather will excel at in the NFL.

Last edited:
This question is kind of like asking if college guards become NFL tackles.

Cornerback is more demanding than safety, you can go from c->s but not the other way around, usually.

Last edited:

I don't think that is neccessarily true. The Pats drafted Meriweather at least in part for his versatility and his ability to play any position in the secondary. I think they were open to him replacing Wilson, Samuel, or Harrison. Basically where ever he could fit in.

If the Pats were specifically looking for Meriweather to replace Wilson because "his game fell apart", there was no absolutely no way the Pats would have experimented with Meriweather at CB this past preseason. If the Pats had absolutely no faith in Wilson, no way would they have approached preparing for the season with Wilson starting and Meriweather at CB. Even with the Samuel and Harrison situations, they had plenty of time to get an alternative solution at CB. Besides, if they had no faith with Wilson a t safety, the logical move would have been to move him to CB not Meriweather.

The Pats also wouldn't have moved Meriweather to the CB spot this past preseason if they weren't open to a permanent switch. You don't experiment with a first round rookie like that unless you are committed to a permanent change.

I have no idea if the Pats are planning to move Merriweather to CB. I probably guess no, but it wouldn't shock me if they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes