PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lions to Cut Rogers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady'sButtBoy

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Cutting a first round pick is always an astounding move, but the number two overall? Several national and Detroit sources feel his release is imminent, wow. Two freak collarbone injuries (he says he has rods in them now) took away two seasons, hardly Rogers' fault. He was leading the Lions in receiving before the first break occured. The suspension for a banned substance was foolish but that shouldn't make the guy a pariah. I haven't seen anything about the guy being a bad apple, he's just has had some bad luck and made an immature decision.

The Cowboys will be all over this guy if he gets cut. Personally, I would love to see him get a shot in Foxboro - his size, speed and talent need a second look. Remember it took Jimmy Smith until his fourth year to blossom and he could be going to the HOF.

I'd certainly take a shot given our situation. He has several red flags, though, so Belichick may not want to go to the trouble. Rogers did supposedly come into camp in good shape, though.

To put things in perspective - Bethel Johnson has thus far had a better career than Charles Rogers.

Last edited:
The guy reportedly has:

Attitude issues
Work ethic issues
Drug issues
Injury issues

Now add in that he isn't out performing undrafted players and is there any wonder he is going to be cut?

Sometimes people need a change of scenery to reestablish themself. Given the situation at WR for the Pats, they would be crazy not to take a chance on him if he's cut loose.

Have you seen the Pats current WR corps? Of course you take a look at Rogers!

PaulNEPats said:
Sometimes people need a change of scenery to reestablish themself. Given the situation at WR for the Pats, they would be crazy not to take a chance on him if he's cut loose.

With the Cardinals up next, I wonder if BB is going to be paying particular attention to Bryant Johnson. Former #1 pick, overshadowed by #2 pick and another #1 pick at WR. He'll never amount to more than a #3 WR in Arizona, and I'm not sure the "Brain Trust" is high on paying first round money to a #3 WR. Of course, they have so far, so who knows.

I have to admit, despite all of Rogers' off the field issues and injuries, I would not want to see him in New England. The kid has all the talent in the world and has just never panned out. Maybe a change of scenery would do him some good. I defintley don't want to see him in New England because it would be pretty much a no risk signing by you guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
PaulNEPats said:

I'd agree that the Pats are likely to be shopping the waiver wire for WRs, but I'm always skeptical of the ole' "change of scenery." It's one thing for a productive player like Corey Dillon who had simply soured on his organization, but turning around a major-league disappointment seems pretty uncommon. (See for reference: Terrell, David; Sullivan, Johnathan.)

Is it not worth a shot?? I mean..it isn't like the team would be paying an arm and leg for him....

What is do his salary/contract look like? That will play a big part in whether or not the Pats even get a chance to sniff him.

If his contract is so bloated that a team wouldn't use a waiver wire slot on him potentially risking taking on that contract, then the Pats have a chance to sign him as a FA.

But if his remaining contract isn't unattractive (which it might not be given its back years on a rookie contract), then someone ahead of the Pats will likely grab him off the wire before it gets to them.

That said, attitude and all, anyone who doesn't think a (heathly) Rogers will would immediately become the Pats 2nd best WR (3rd at wost) needs to put down the Kool-Aid.

Pats726 said:
Is it not worth a shot?? I mean..it isn't like the team would be paying an arm and leg for him....

I don't think many would argue it isn't worth a shot. It is about the same percentage shot as a 65 yard FG.

I find it humorous that this board has been obsessed with the Lions WRs during this off-season. We rarely go more than a week without a thread on them. Last week posters wanted to give the Lions a Day 1 draft pick for either Rogers or Mike Williams who has proven equally as little and has been reported is also having trouble beating out a bunch of undrafted free agents and late round picks for PT.

The Lions have a GM who invested so much in Rogers. They have an OC who loves WRs so much that as a head coach the last few years he first carried too many on his roster and then wouldn't even deactivate any of them on gameday when his staff was telling him he was killing their kick coverages by keeping so many WRs active and not better special teamers. He loves WRs so much he would rather lose games than part with one he thought had skills.

So if those guys can't find an excuse to keep Rogers, the chances are highly likely he is not going to help here or anywhere. And don't fall for the "they just want to be rid of him for off the field stuff" line. If he could produce, the league would be lining up to trade for him and no one wants him.

It doesn't mean you don't bring him in for a workout but at this point his draft status is ancient history. Right now Rogers is nothing more than a JAG until he proves otherwise.

So if he's just a guy right now, how does he get a chance to prove otherwise??? How does he get the opportunity to prove he's a legitmiate NFL receiver??? In a tryout workout environment???? Hard to believe you can tell anything definete from that.

tombonneau said:
What is do his salary/contract look like? That will play a big part in whether or not the Pats even get a chance to sniff him.

If his contract is so bloated that a team wouldn't use a waiver wire slot on him potentially risking taking on that contract, then the Pats have a chance to sign him as a FA.

But if his remaining contract isn't unattractive (which it might not be given its back years on a rookie contract), then someone ahead of the Pats will likely grab him off the wire before it gets to them.

That said, attitude and all, anyone who doesn't think a (heathly) Rogers will would immediately become the Pats 2nd best WR (3rd at wost) needs to put down the Kool-Aid.
If they release him his current contract is moot - he becomes a free agent and is free to negotiate with any team.

edit: rereading your post, I realized I completely missed your point... sorry!

Last edited:
I would be a drug addled malcontent too if I worked for Matt Millen

Murphys95 said:
To put things in perspective - Bethel Johnson has thus far had a better career than Charles Rogers.

That is "Scare-afying".

tombonneau said:

Base Salaries:

Signed a 7-year deal with a $14.4 mil. signing bonus back in 2003 - the maximum value with all incentives reached was $54.6 mil.

Last edited:
Murphys95 said:

No true at all when compared as receivers.
Rogers 36 catches 440 yds 4td's in 15 games
Johnson 30 catches 440 yds 4 td's in 39 games

Rogers output per active game as a receiver is much higher.

Bethel does have 2557yds in KO returns but Rogers was never slotted for that duty.

I wish someone would show me an article portraying Rogers as a bad seed. Other than his suspension I haven't seen anything.

New coach in Detroit wants to clean house, nothing new there, he wants to chop someone to get attention. Cutting a former no. 2 with injury problems would certainly open a few eyes on the sideline.

tombonneau said:

I don't.

He sounds like a PFT Turd. Resign David Terrell if you're looking for a salvage project; at least he had a year to learn the plays in TC. Maybe a year of flipping hamburgers might have served to motivate his rump, as well....

dhamz said:
I don't think many would argue it isn't worth a shot. It is about the same percentage shot as a 65 yard FG.

I find it humorous that this board has been obsessed with the Lions WRs during this off-season. We rarely go more than a week without a thread on them. Last week posters wanted to give the Lions a Day 1 draft pick for either Rogers or Mike Williams who has proven equally as little and has been reported is also having trouble beating out a bunch of undrafted free agents and late round picks for PT.

The Lions have a GM who invested so much in Rogers. They have an OC who loves WRs so much that as a head coach the last few years he first carried too many on his roster and then wouldn't even deactivate any of them on gameday when his staff was telling him he was killing their kick coverages by keeping so many WRs active and not better special teamers. He loves WRs so much he would rather lose games than part with one he thought had skills.

So if those guys can't find an excuse to keep Rogers, the chances are highly likely he is not going to help here or anywhere. And don't fall for the "they just want to be rid of him for off the field stuff" line. If he could produce, the league would be lining up to trade for him and no one wants him.

It doesn't mean you don't bring him in for a workout but at this point his draft status is ancient history. Right now Rogers is nothing more than a JAG until he proves otherwise.
I'm rolling in laughter over your comparison....Frankly I find that laughable... Actually those at PFW have talked some about the Detroit receivers, many weeks ago as a possibility, long before anyone thought Rogers might be cut. You are right, the Lions have been obsessed with wideouts..and that is simply stupid; I totally agree there, but I don't think a p[pickup is all that bad. I don't think the Pats will have a shot because there will be others in line who may pay more..and that is OK. If by chance, the Pats do get one of them, they may help. At this point, I think changes in scenery might help, but to try to analyze them might be quite difficult. Sullivan, another case in point, may not make it through camp..he's struggling and hardly the blue chipper he was on draft day. It is possible that Rogers is like that as well, but we don't know that for sure...and it might be worth it to see if he is not. Maybe you believe the Pats will find a solid wide receiver sitting around waiting on a platter to be picked up...usually at this point there are none, so a team has to gamble
with possibilities..(injuries, attitude, size etc..) and do there best. Terrel was a gamble that did not work out, but I don't know of any team that does not have any misses. Usually the Patriots will have several options..and picking up one from the scrap heap is just another possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes